1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Round 1 game 3 - Detroit at Milw 8pm Sat April 29

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by max, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't mind losing a 10 pt game where you fought to make a valiant comeback, but to come out flat in the third quarter and let the game get away from you with uninspired defense and no inside play is enough to put a nasty taste in your mouth.

Cannot give these guys any confidence on Monday. Come out and slam them and put this one away by halftime. If Redd gets his, shut everybody else down..especially that bench of Kukoc, Mo Williams, C. Bell and Joe Smith. Those guys did wonders vs both our starters and our scrubs.

Tay has to establish his inside game by driving to the hoop. He was a non factor on both defense and offense. Did Ben make the trip? I don't recall seeing him out there:ohwell: When Delk comes in he has to go back to do what he does best....shoot. Sheed was the man in the first quarter and then disappeared until the 4th when he stepped up to miss 5 FT's. No FT's from Rip means that he was taking bad outside shots and no one fouled him? With his attitude, the refs may have looked the other way. Lets hope he does not get a suspension for his flagrant elbow...

We had blowout for this series and we normally have one per playoff run, that wakes us up!

2. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Rip looked awful today. Missing open shots badly and not even having a prayer at keeping up with Redd. Even worse is the fact that he was forcing the issue.

I'm starting to worry about that ankle.

Also, I think it's time we bust out some Delfino action if Rip continues to struggle and Delk continues to be invisible on both ends of the court.

3. nenerojer

nenerojer First Round Draft Pick

Sure this evening the Pistons has endured and ugly defeat , 20 points is many but second me it not have repercussion in these playoff. Monday this figure....will be repaid and will have in field the trues ones Pistons

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Bingo. Danny Crawford always calls Pistons games tight, and then to basically say that the players are outsmarting the refs has to be one of the most ignorant things to do.

I see Flip keeps getting mad, but no one is listening. It almost makes you wonder if LB got these guys so tuned out to listening to the coach that Flip cannot be heard.

Chauncey's shot selection and leadership has been crap. We love when he hits the 3, but it seems to be his entire game. His solution when the going gets tough is to bomb. When he can't run a fast break, he bombs. It's shoot the trey and hope to come out looking like a hero.

If you listened to him in the postgame, you were probably disgusted. He said that the Bucks are good and blablabla, and that the Pistons probably needed to lose so they could get back to playing the way they should.

Well, shouldn't the MVP (wannabee) leader have them playing at that level now? Shouldn't he be the one making adjustments, calling the plays and pushing his teammates?

Game 3 of 16 (now at least 17) is way too early to start taking games off. The Pistons worst enemy is themselves, and sadly, that enemy is powerful.

5. nenerojer

nenerojer First Round Draft Pick

I hope just not....i would be terrible to lose Rip:frusty:

6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Is it me or does it seem like everytime there is a fast break CB makes a bad decision. He either forces a bad pass resulting in a TO, or does not finish at the rim.

That is one vital part of CB`s game that`s lacking. However, it is not that telling because Detroit only breaks when the opportunity arises, which is not very often, thank God.

7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

This was a giveaway, plain and simple. We do not give up 124 points in a playoff game! OK. I had us in 5 and I will stick to that.

I am a bit worried about Rip's ankle. He doesn't seem as crisp although the whole team played aslept. It was like they were trying a few things out for later.

Well, we know Sheed can post up. Hunter can hit a shot. Evans can hit a shot. Those are some pluses. Doubt if Milwaukee will break 80 points on monday.

8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

"We kind of went away from what we did in the first two games," Pistons forward Tayshaun Prince said. "Why? I don't know."

Really weak, Tay. Really weak. Just like this game. I had the Pistons in 5 and expected them to drop one, but not looking this bad in doing it. I think Ben flat out quit in this one. Just quit. Terrible effort.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

\

That is one reason you can make the case for CB not winning the MVP> If he could he would be dangerous and we would have won 80 games. :laugh:
    Granted he knows how to run the offense and find the open man in set plays, but both Rip and Tay run the fastbreak better than CB. Even on the alley oops, Rip to tay on the fast break ally-oop or an alley to Ben from the corner works. CB bumbles shots even when he is the lead man on the break because he is looking for the foul first and then the hoop.

10. max

max All-Star

Pistons always need a wakeup call - every playoff series. Thats why we have never swept a series with this team. Always take the oppenent too lightly and come out with a lackluster effort.

Bucks were hot and shot over 70% from the 1st quarter on. But if the Pistons had done the basics like playing more D, making free-throws and going inside rather than taking all those stupid 3's it would have been a close game.

Expect the same the next series and the series after that as this team never learns but always comes back.

Rip is not the same. Perhaps if Flip was not so paranoid about losing in the 1st round given his past we could get Rip ready for the rest of the post run. Now I hope this is not going to be one of those injuries that never goes away. Lets hope Clev/Wash goes 7.

With the job Delfino did on Wade would you think that maybe it would have been worth giving him a shot on Redd? What could it have hurt that game?

Only starter that seemed to show up was Sheed. Good job Sheed.

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Box Score

Video Highlights

NBA Recap

Play-by-Play

Flip's Quotes

On the game:
    “They kicked our butts in every category they could. They shot the ball extremely well, they rebounded, they ran and defended. As I told our guys, we never got into playing our style of ball. They were much more aggressive than we were. Usually, in any game whoever is the most aggressive team is going to have success. I said from day one against this team, when you have a team that can shoot the ball well, they have a lot of guys that can shoot it, they have the ability at times to give you problems if they get on a roll. They start off the first quarter they start making shots. We played a little out of character. We weren’t moving the ball. Very rarely are we in situation where we have 22 assists to the other team’s 34.”

On Ben Wallace’s early fouls:
    “I think what happened is that took some of his aggressiveness away. It took some of our team’s defensive intensity away a little bit. We fell behind and we all tried to make big plays instead of making the easy plays. That’s something that I’ve been preaching. We were trying to make the home run play to get back in it instead of getting into a grind situation. When you play a team and they shoot 61 from the field, 65 from the three point line and end up shooting 87 from the free throw line… They had some open shots, once a team gets on a roll, you can start testing them and it doesn’t matter.”

On Milwaukee’s adjustments:
    “I told our guys before the game, the biggest adjustment they’re going to make is the attitude they’re going to play with and how hard they’re going to play. They played with a great amount of energy and got some shots going early and got their confidence going. That can’t change how we play.”

Chauncey's Quotes

On rebounding from the game:
    “We just have to come out and do what we do. We have to come out and play defense and make them play defense. We’ll be fine, we’re alright.”

On if losing can be a positive:
    “Sometimes losing games like this is a good thing for the team. You don’t want to lose, but sometimes it’s good to get everybody back to doing what we do. Our meat and potatoes is playing defense, making them play defense, getting back to the basics. When you win and it’s coming easy, you try to get away sometimes from the basics. We did that a little tonight, but we’ll be fine.”

On the Bucks:
    “They didn’t make the playoffs for no reason. They really should have been the fifth seed. They didn’t and we know that they’re a very capable team. They can get it going and tonight was one of those nights. They showed their potential.”

On the Bucks playing like the Pistons in the first two games:
    “They really did, 30 something assists. They definitely played like we played the first two nights. They have some deadly three point shooters. When you let those guys get 30 some assists, you know at least 15 to 16 of those assists are going to lead to three pointers.”

Gameflow (available sometime Sunday April 30)

12. max

max All-Star

Last time our current team ( over the past 3 seasons ) lost by 20 or more was only 1 time in game 2 of the Finals against SAN.

Previous 1st round losses were by 4 points to the Bucks in 04 and an 11 point loss to the Sixers last year.

Pistons have to deal with this loss and finish it in 5.

13. ggazoo69

Let's hope the Pistons are just a little bit embarrassed. They should be. I'm still blown away, actually. It was like the two teams switched places between Games 2 and 3.

14. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

what a shameful loss. They played like scrubs.
    NO defense by CB and Ben. Ben's worthless without his usual D as he has no O. I expect him to respond in his old manner with a 15+ rebound game and heart.
    I hope all of the players (except Hunter and Mc Dyess) know how bad they played. I mean, losing by 20 in the playoffs against a bunch of scrabs while considering themselves as a legitimate contender is just sad.

15. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

The Bucks aren't total complete scrubs but I really didn't believe they could roll us by 20 in the playoffs,the time we've been playing for all season.In fact I didn't forsee anyone beating us by this much.Well time to man up.Just one game need to put it behind us,Pistons in 5.

16. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Embarrassing loss. Can anybody explain why a championship contending team can get blown anyway in the playoffs by an 8th seed? This is not the Spur or Mavs. Not that it would be excusable then either.

In the playoffs the team should be primed for all games. I hate it when CB comes out in post-game comments like " we know what we have to do". Why didn't you do it?

17. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I would like to point out that I did call this to be a twenty point blowout. Yeah, I took the Pistons, but who's perfect?

Kukoc scared me before this game and he still scares me now. He's too big and too wiley for TP.

18. ggazoo69

Un-gentle Ben: "Long jump shots lead to long rebounds and those lead to their fast-break points. We have to get back to playing our game, forcing them to defend all five of our players."

I agree with that. But make your FTs, Ben.

19. daveg725

daveg725 First Round Draft Pick

Of course I go to the game and we F'ing lose. Poor outing all around. No one played well. Sheed had 11 in the first 6 minutes and only 15 for the game?? Lindsey needs to have Sheed post up when he's in the game because Lindsey shouldn't be shooting as many shots as he had to shoot last game (and why so many with the shot clock running down???) WTF?

Admittedly the bucks shot the lights out, and I expected us to lose this game...but figured we'd at least have a proper effort. Ah well...on to game 4. I don't see why so many fans are panicking about one loss...relax. More than a 5 game series here folks.

20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think dale could have been useful when ben got those 2 fouls. We had no problem offensively, but we needed Defense and paint points.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.