Round 1 Game 5 - Milw at Det 6:00pm Wed May 3

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by max, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max

max All-Star

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Pistons vs Bucks
    Series 3-1 DET
    Wednesday May 3rd, 2006
    6:00pm

The Palace of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, MI
    TV: tv20 Detroit / TNT / RNBATV
    Radio: WDFN 1130 AM

BillLaimbeer's Look at this series:

The Milwaukee Bucks will be the Pistons 1st round opponent this year. At 40-42, the Bucks will be the only team in the 2006 NBA playoffs with a losing record.

The Bucks started out the season pretty strong (17-11), but have had losing records in each of the last four months:

November 7-6
    December 9-5
    January 7-10
    February 6-7
    March 7-8
    April 4-6

Milwaukee depends on Michael Redd (25.4 ppg) for over a quarter of their offense. On any given night, Redd can go off for 40+ points. In the 3 games Redd scored 40+ this year, however, the Bucks are 1-2. The shooting guard is the only position that Milwaukee holds the advantage over the Pistons (Rip Hamilton).

The Bucks have some youth at most key positions and that should prove to be the difference in this series. Point guard T.J. Ford is playing in his first full season. Ford averages 12.2 ppg and 6.6 assists per game (14th in the NBA). Edge: Detroit (Chauncey Billups)

At the small forward, Bobby Simmons is really in his 2nd full season as a starter. His numbers and experience are somewhat similar to Tayshuan Prince, but I'll give a slight edge to Detroit with Tay's all-around game.

The Pistons also have an advantage inside with the Wallace's matching up against rookie Andrew Bogut (good rebounding and FG% numbers) and Jamaal Magloire (3rd season as a starter in the NBA, 9.5 rebounds per game).

The bench production differs a little bit, as far as scoring goes. The Bucks have 8 guys scoring 8+ ppg. The Pistons have 7 guys scoring 7+ ppg. Detroit most likely will use an 8-man rotation with McDyess, Delk, and Hunter coming off the bench.
    Defense: The Pistons rank 3rd in the NBA for points allowed (90.1). The Bucks rank 20th, giving up 99.8 ppg.

The Bucks have beaten just about every team in the NBA, including Detroit, Miami, New Jersey, San Antonio, Dallas and Phoenix. With a 40-42 record, the Bucks have lost to just about every team in the NBA, as well.

Season series:
    Nov 26: Det 85, @Mil 76
    Jan 25: @Det 106, Mil 102 (OT)
    Mar 31: @Det 112, Mil 105
    Apr 17: @Mil 113, Det 93

Detroit won the season series 3-1, although the Bucks win came in a game when Detroit was resting its starters (Sheed and Rip didn't even dress). The 3 Piston wins were all close games.

For a #1 vs. #8 matchup, these games will be more competitive than most people predict. My guess is the Pistons win the series 4-1. The difference will be Detroit's experience.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

~~​
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Re: Round 1 game 5 - Milw at Det 6pm Wed May 3

I expect the Pistons to end this game early. By the 2nd quarter Detroit should maintain a 10 point lead throughout.

The enregy should be there and the Bucks will sense the end early in the contest.

I believe Detroit will run the table at home in the playoffs. Don`t expect one of those lackluster, half-a&& efforts at the Palace.
  3. max

max All-Star

Guys like TJ Ford do not score at the Palace.

Pistons 98 Bucks 82
  4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Based on the extraordinary accuracy of my prior predictions I do hereby call this one Pistons X / Bucks X minus some finite positive integer most likely to be less than 100.
  5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

good point. the guy can't shoot anyway, dunno how he went off last game. i'll be at the game, gotta leave work early to beat that traffic though (ugh 6 PM game just so lebron can be shown later).

pistons are what, like 11-1 in closeout games the past 2 years? the bucks are dejected and we're not goin back to milwaukee baby. time to win and get everyone some rest!!
  6. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

beat me to the punch. my prediction would have been:

Pistons score more than the Bucks.

Next.
  7. dba

What about Rip?

I DVR'd the last game and went back and watched him run and cut. There were several times when CB was pushing the ball down the floor and Rip struggled to keep up. It looks like a serious effort for him just to run fast in a straight line down the court. He's not getting open off the screens, and his shooting is gone. And as all the pundits tell us, shooting starts in the legs. (I rely on the pundits since my jump shot never extended beyond about five feet.)

I get that it's a tough choice whether to play him or not. Sit him out tonight and if the Bucks were to win and make it a series, Flip better have hired some extra security and stay away from any railroad tracks or buckets of tar. Play him and he's ineffective and you risk the same thing, or worse, he turns the ankle again and sits out part of the next series.

Hopefully he will have healed some and this will be moot. But if he is in no better shape than Monday night, I'd say he has to sit.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

When the opposite player (Redd) is the biggest matchup problem, and Rip is your best perimeter defender (IMO), you can't sit him.

Gotta get this win. Then there will be several days rest available.
  9. dba

Best perimeter defender on the team when healthy. But Redd is shooting 63% and put up 33 and 40 the past two.

Famous last words - How much worse could someone else do? (43 is Redd's career high.)
  10. justise32

justise32 First Round Draft Pick

Yea, but most of Redd's shots were over Prince/Billups/and bench players. When he scored 2 consective shots over Delk, Flip hurried up and put Rip back in. Prince is a good defender, but he can't keep up with Redd like Rip can, neither can Billups. And, they're both healthy. So...they need to play him.:ohwell:
  11. roscoe36

You have to remember that,

1. The Bucks were at home and the better play of TJ Ford both shooting and passing contributes to Redd going off.

2. Redd is a better scorer than Rip. That's just fact. But with Rip in, the Pistons won Q1 and Q4. Basically playing Redd even when looked at total team production.

We've all seen this before. You don't have to stop a star to beat him. You have to limit all of the role players from feeding off that star.

There is no one on this team that (I feel) can play Redd better than Rip, even when gimpy. The Pistons need to finish this series quickly, and I'm not seeing Rip as a liability yet. Perhaps not himself, but still better than any option on the bench.
  12. justise32

justise32 First Round Draft Pick

So true. Need to limit all of the role players, especially Mo Williams. That one there comes off the bench and puts up a few. He's pretty good.
  13. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What can I say? Sheed, stop being unselfish for once. Get rolling and do your teammates a favor, esp Rip. Play your heart out, finish this series once and for all so Rip can finally rest and heal the ankle. To summarize, Sheed got to demand the ball from CB.

Post up game all nite long, coming either from Sheed or CB. The Bucks have no answer to this strategy. We can't have Rip shooting below his regular season percentages in the playoffs. So, finish the series so Rip can rest his ankle and hopefully, the Cavs/ Wizards will go to game 7.

DETROIT BASKETBALL!!!
  14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

stotts is having redd guard chauncey tonight
  15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

The Bucks already got what they wanted...one victory. Early in the series all they talked about was "nobody wants to get swept". They knew it was over before it began.

The Pistons will give a good effort because they want/need the additional rest.

This series ends tonight. Good riddance!:yo:
  16. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

I expect another big game from Tayshuan and I expect Sheed to show up big.
    The Pistons should have this game won in the third quarter. I give the Bucks credit for competing hard and not giving up. Remember that lost look on Kyle Korver's face last year? I haven't seen any of the Bucks give up like that.
  17. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Finish it.

And go Washington.
  18. roscoe36

Game Chat is open! See y'all around 6:00 PM.

Don't forget it's an early game!!!
  19. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Closing it out tonight.Rip has a thigh bruise too so he needs the rest.We need this done now because I think with a gimpy Rip other teams will take advantage of it.We need him at as close to 100% for the rest of the playoffs.He opens up so much with his movement and a gimpy Rip is just what the other teams ordered.
  20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

4-1..nuff said Ho freekin Hum!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.