Round 1 goes to Meeeeechigan

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by ggazoo69, Jan 25, 2006.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Michigan 72, MSU 67 at Crisler Arena. Sorry Tater. Big win for the Wolverines to beat the No. 15 team in the country. It will help UM's NCAA chances. I still think UM comes up short for the tourney though. Nice win tonight. I figured the Spartans would sweep 'em this season.
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

Actually, MSU was AP #11.

State didn't score a FG in over 6 minutes of the 2nd half. State's scoring droughts this year remind me of the Pistons last year.

UM played a good game
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

UofM is out of the penalty. Let's see if they can get a top ten team in the years to come.
  4. ggazoo69

Shoot, why did I think #15? No matter. UM needs to beat some quality teams. If they can finish two games above .500 in the conference, they might dance this season, and shed a little of their pathetic past. I like Amaker OK and wish him success.
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

Izzo messed up late in the game. He called a TO just before Ager hit a game-tying 3 with 7 seconds left.

The boner was reminiscent of the OSU football game when the MSU assistant coach was trying to get the FG unit on the field before the half instead of grounding the ball. Don't know if you remember, but in the rush the kick got blocked and run back for a TD...and that turned out to be the end of the Sparties football season, even though the season was only half over.
  6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

it wasn't a bad timeout at the time...think about it. davis just took a completely ill-advised 3-pointer, then got the ball back at the 3-point line. if you watch, izzo immediately called timeout, with 10 seconds left, before ager was even open (at around 7 seconds). he didn't want davis jacking up another shot and i dont blame him.
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yikes. I just now read your post (Just past 2:00 AM, Thursday, your time). I didn't even know they played. Well, that's the Sparties for you. Congrats to the Blue. They must have played well. We will get you next time!!
  8. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

34 free throw attempts for Michigan, 10 for Michigan State. Charity begins at home.
  9. detteam

detteam All-Star

I haven't looked at the box yet. I didn't realize the disparity was that huge as I was flipping back & forth with the Pistons game while I was on the chat. :P
  10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

charity begins at home haha.

it was tough to flip back and forth because the games kept having the same amount of time left in the game, down by the same score, and taking timeouts at the same time.
  11. Hotsauce

Hotsauce First Round Draft Pick

That was a ridiculous game. Every time UM touched the ball, they called a foul on us. Even the color guy, Tim McCormick, said that something's up with these foul calls and "no calls".

Whatever though, its past, and we will see them at Breslin.
  12. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

When these two teams get together in any sport, you can throw the records and the rankings out the window.

LET'S GO BLUE!!!
  13. Darth Tater

The only place the "Blue" is going is to the NIT!!! (and that would be an improvement over last year). lol.:laugh:

Green rules!
  14. Superstarov

It's kind of hard to recruit when you can't play in the big dance.:ballchain

You green and white sheep better hope nothing like that ever happens to State B-ball, because lord knows their Football team isn't worth cheering for.:yield:
  15. ggazoo69

16. Superstarov

Once again...

LET'S GO BLUE!!!
  17. Superstarov

And my, my... how the mighty have fallen. Going from the cover of Sports Illustrated to losing to an unranked opponant. Tsk, tsk, tsk...
  18. Darth Tater

LOL. Yeah, losing to Michigan is rather embarrassing.

Tell you what. When is the next game? I'll wear a U of M avatar for 3 days if they beat MSU. You wear an MSU avatar if MSU wins?
  19. Hotsauce

Hotsauce First Round Draft Pick

Even though after we lost to you guys, ESPN still picked us to go to the final four. :rolleyes:

UM will falter on the road. Look at the home team records for the top 7 Big Ten teams, you'll see how they won. However they are hopeless on the road.
    Those who think they are closing the gap should look at their record vs Izzo.:nod: :nod:

GO GREEN!!

:hail: :hail: Izzo
  20. ggazoo69

Michigan has a very tough road over the next eight games. They play against a lot of ranked teams. Although they are 6-2 now in conference, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them finish 8-8. If they do, they will finish the season at 18-9 and be on the bubble for the Big Dance. I think the Wolverines have to win 20 overall to get in for sure, which means they need to go 4-4 over the next eight. I think if they do, they deserve an invite. On the bright side, UM's RPI is 17, which is great. MSU's RPI is 5, which is two places higher than No. 1 UConn.