Round 2 Game 4 - 7pm Mon May 15 Det at Clev

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by max, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Cleveland looked like they wanna get physical these days. Gettin a lil too big for their britches. Maybe throw Davis out there to bang with Big Z for a moment.

Anybody see Cato havin a good ole time on the bench? Laughing at LBJ's missed free throw? Let's sic him on the Cavs front line and make him earn his keep. He outta be good for some hard fouls and a fade away jumper or two.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You hit the nail on the head. Going small to match was a major sign of weakness from Flip. He has 3 bigs active on the bench, and rather than dictating back at the rookie head coach, he goes all pollyanna playing follow the leader and patty cake.

It wouldn't matter if he put in Mo, Delfino or Delk. He needed to go big, maxmize the clock, offensive rebound and force CB to run sets.

Dice outplayed by Varajao. Chauncey outplayed by Snow. Flip outcoached by Mike Brown.

Chauncey does not get a free pass tonight. This was his worst playoff game since 2003. Those three treys he missed weren't good looks, it was chucking plain and simple. He didn't involve his teammates, and he didn't carry the scoring load. He's regressing. I'm all for the trey if you run a play to setup the open look. Just coming down and chucking a moonball is not getting the job done.

That monkey JT the Brick just said on FoxSports Radio that if the Pistons lose to the Cavs, it's time to break this team up. As much as I hate to say this, he's right. Everyone is a little too fat and confident about themselves. To the point that they are not playing smart or composed anymore.
  3. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

It ain't the Cavs D, trust me. The Pistons play right into their hands. I've said it all along. Shooting jumpshots consistantly against bad defensive teams takes ALL of the pressure off of them. That's why we can make bad D look awfully good on occassion. The Pistons seem to only have strong offensive nights against them when they're banging treys left and right. That's not going to happen all the time. Especially when they aren't moving the ball around.

Summary: We need a legit off-the-dribble slasher. Rip is decent, but not great. Chauncey doesn't finish at the rim in traffic. Tayshaun is a %%%%% most of the time (step back jumper..... CLANK!). We also need a big guy who can camp near the paint and finish (Max?). Ben, Sheed, and Dice are too soft down low on offense. No one can power it up in traffic and throw it down or get a layup (like how Varejao is murdering us right now). Ben can't finish from anywhere and Dice/Sheed like to hang out on the perimeter too much.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The heavilly favored 2004 Lakers were dismantled, save Kobe, lil Walton and Deavan George). but I am not sure if we go tha far. At least one of the starters though needs to go and all of the guys coming off the bench with maybe the exception of Dice. Keep the rookies and bring in replacements for Mo, Hunter, delk, Cato and Davis
  5. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I'm not ready to break the team up; win, lose, or draw. However losing the series to the Cavs could spark some discussion. We've got a weak bench, and those chickens are coming home to roost. Who would we insert if Rip has foul trouble? Or Prince gets tired (cause lawd knows HE ain't gettin in foul trouble)?

Mo was a good buy for the money, Delk was the best move at the time, and Delfino's shot is broke. None of them is an "impact player" off the bench; and Joe knows we need that. The six starters have carried us all season. Time for the bench to step up and produce. It's money time!
  6. LA Dre

Agree Fresh-one. We have no Labron type slasher or anyone who can take it to the rim with authority... i hate when your namesake takes the step back jumper, because more than 60% of the time it is a clanker...driving to the rim on James to force the refs to make some calls would be the smart way to play this one. :nod:
  7. FreshPrince22

I don't think you completely break the team up, but I think it would be about time that you open up some more opportunities for guys like Maxiell and Delfino (Amir?). Get some young blood in there to shake things up. See if these guys can cut it. We don't have any picks to add significant talent, so it would be tough.

Not sure what you do about Flip if they flake out. I have a tough time thinking he'd be fired, but he's the difference isn't he? I have to think he is a significant reason why they can't seem to keep their compsure late in games.
  8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Daddy & Micro, I was thinking the exact same thing during the 4th Q! If any team is capable of playing big and being able to handle an opponent who goes small, its this team because of their versatility. Especially considering that our 5 is already undersized anyway. We already play smallish big ball. Its when teams go supersized against us that we have problems (eg. Shaq and Zo), not the other way around!

Ben is quick enough to easily guard a 3, 4 or 5. Heck, he can guard 1s and 2s on switches. Remember the charge he drew on AI in the backcourt last year? Even if Sheed was injured, we still had Dice or Davis that could have came in and played the 5, which would have freed up Ben to dominate his man.

Oh well. All we can hope for now is that Flip learned from his mistake and will make the adjustment for game 5. Something that LB was very hesitant to do last season when he was outcoached by Pop in the Finals.
  9. justise32

justise32 First Round Draft Pick

Well, I for one is glad to hear a couple of people on this forum say that Rip and Ben showed up. Yea, Rip's shoot was off somewhat, but he constantly hustled throughout the game. Thought he even played good D on Lebron at times. Ben had some good plays as well. I was on another Piston forum earlier, and there were a few posters that felt like Rip and Ben single-handingly loss that game for the Pistons. Whatever!:fingerscr

Overall, the Pistons are NOT playing Piston-ball. :mad: They seem to be forcing a lot of shoots, and not contesting a lot of the Cavs shoots or drives. :frusty:
  10. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not talking about holding CLE to 48 pts total. I'm talking about getting stops at crucial times of the game. That is no longer an option with this team. CLE shot like crap so they SHOULD have only scored 74, but they scored at crucial points when they needed it and it was due to piss poor defensive effort on our part.

...and if they lose to the Cavs, I sincerly hope Flip simply stays in Ohio with his family and is fired before the postgame interviews are done.
  11. max

max All-Star

Hatter - If we lose in the 2nd round there will be a lot of changes.

That is if. So far there is nothing to convince me that this is not a typical Piston playoff series.

In 04 ist round - 5 games, 2nd - 7 , 3rd - 6, Finals - 5
    05 - 1st round - 5 games, 2nd - 6 , 3rd - 7, Finals - 7

So far the Pistons have never been able to beat a team with more than 47 wins in less than 6. Remove all the smoke and mirrors and its just the same Cardiac Kidds always needing a cause and reason to get inspired. Nothing has changed.
  12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Guys, we are all disgusted and depressed by what we "witnessed" tonight. Rightfully so. The play from both teams was lousy and Flips coaching was crap. The refs weren't great either.

But come on. This talk about breaking up the team because the series is tied 2-2 is way off. We'll all feel better when the Pistons kick butt at the Palace. It's a must win game and Detroit WILL win.
  13. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

OK but forget about winning any 'ships for a while if Maxiell, Amir and Delfino are given extensive playing time. Joe D would most likely make minor adjustments if the Stones don't win it all this season. I just can't see any reason to get rid of the top six so I echo your thoughts.
  14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Whatever you say, Sheed. :laugh:
  15. FreshPrince22

Well, I didn't say you gotta play these guys 40 minutes. Just get them involved. Give them an opportunity to see if any of them can suprise us. You never know what could happen. Max could break out as an impact player. Delfino could, etc. Getting the youth involved may give this team an energy spark and would definately help keep the starters fresh over the long haul. To me, the starters have been looking tired late in games since toward the middle-end of the regular season. They just don't have any hop in their step.
  16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

LMAO Gazoo. :laugh:

You can take it to the bank. Print it on Pf.com, on the Detroit News board, or anywhere you please. I absolutely guarantee a Pistons victory in game 5 at the Palace AND guarantee the Pistons will win the series. :thumb:
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

what tha F*&&%$ck was that??????
    Flip.....how fuggin stupid are you.......we're the big dogs and you let a rookie force your hand...........Seeing Mo Evans wasn't even the issue....seeing us adjust to them was HUGE!!!!!!! Y'all I'm worried because Pat Riley will kick tha living ISHT out of Flip if Flip doesn't get his head out of his %%%%%.......we got outcoached badly this game. Flip is in an unfamiliar place right now and it's showing. We have lost every 4th qtr of this series....we have yet to execute down the stretch and get high percentage shots. LB's plays got us to the ft line, made us move the ball until it yielded dunks & layups late in games or after a timeout....flip diagrams plays that get us Iso's and open 20ft j's Oh My Lord........Help us please.
  18. LA Dre

I hear you KGREG, why is a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in years, playing like veterans in the 4th qtr and we are playing like crap on both ends. Two games in a row, we have multiple turnovers in crunch time, cannot hit a layup, or dunk and cannot stop a one man James gang!! There were two instances in the last two minutes where both Mo & Ben grabbed rebounds and were in a position to go right back up for put backs but didn't react fast enough and ZERO points were scored on those two possessions. In the Ben situation he was wide open, but passed to a wide open surprised Rip who blew the short jumper.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was sick to my stomach after the game ended. But now that I have had a little time to reflect on it, I'm not worried. We should have pulled out both games in Cleveland... and it would have been a sweep. We only had 1 point in the 4th quarter until the 5:40 mark. When is that going to happen again?

We played great defense the last 2 games and just didn't score enough points. And Mo Evans did a good job. Chauncey was missing. Tay was not knocking down his jumper. Sheed didn't do sheet. Ben had a mediocre game. Dyess had ZERO points. Lindsay couldn't hit. And we still could have won!
  20. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

Didn't see the game, but we are now in a best-of-three situation with two games in the Palace. I'm not worried.

We all knew these Pistons have a propensity to play to the level of their competition. This is what they do. I still think we win it all.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.