Round 2 Game 5 - 7pm Mon May 17 Clev at Det

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Bills, if digging up old posts while the rest of us lament a wasted opportunity makes you feel smarter than everyone else, then go to it. At least it'll keep you occupied.

Simple answers are for simple minds. As has been said, there is plenty of blame to go around, and I'm cool with anyone who wants to include Flip in that. But blaming Flip exclusively is the same as saying that these players (not to mention the league and the opposition) haven't changed one bit since they won it all two seasons ago. Does anybody really believe that? And does anyone really believe that the Larry Brown of 2006 would have had the right answers?

BLINDING FLASH OF INSIGHT: Could it be that Larry and our players have simultaneously come down with The Right Way Syndrome - the belief that a title makes their way the only one worth considering? Hmmmmm. Symptoms appear to include pronounced swelling of heads and urinary tracts. Maybe so ....

Let's hope generous helpings of ice can at least get the Pistons' heads back to normal size.
  2. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

The NBA game is painfully passing the Pistons by. The new rules are finally catching up with a grind out playoff team. Its hard to say that now when you have a team that has won 64 reg. season games. They have become arrogant and feel entitled.:frusty:

I have to give alot of credit to Cleveland, they have played the same way through out this series and since the 2nd half of game two they have stayed even Keeled and the Pistons have turned into a team expecting to just show up and win.

I for one still feel these guys can win this series I felt that way last year, and I felt that way when they were down 3-2 to New Jersey.
    The same thing has happen to this team for 3 years in a row. and thier motto is "if it ain't rough it ain't right". But going back to the same well every year it will dry up. I just don't feel like there going to lose this series, but the Pistons have to feel that way too but give respect to their opponent than beat them. GO PISTONS!!!!!:fingerscr
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

lanierfan...you've made some good posts in this thread. My point is that last year when we made it to the 7th game of the Finals the majority of the folks in here were gnashing their teeth and wringing their hands about what a failure the season was. Larry Brown got raked over the coals and didn't get much respect for the job he did. In fact he was crucified for failure to deliver the Championship wrestling belts that we felt entitled to.

So we fast forward up to this year. Some of the same folks who wanted to hang LB from a catheter hose are giving Flip a free pass. Why is that?

I think we are still going to win this series and go on to the Finals again so it should be a mute point ....but when Low was writing his very accurate yet somewhat negative(sour) posts earlier in the year he got hooted out of the forum.

I may be getting old but my memory isn't that short.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Heat and the Cavs would both get DEMOLISHED by Dallas/ San Antonio.

It would be a real shame if the East doesn't put forth their best team.

Winning game 6 would be a serious momentum changer. Let's hope the Stones can string together two average games.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

There might be a slight misinterpretation of the posters that are sticking up for Flip... I have seen very little posts saying that Flip shouldn't share the blame... however to say this is all Flips fault sounds like a hate agenda.
    After defending LB to the bitter end I finally gave in to the concept that his act was not going to be supported by the team or management.... it's very possible that the results would have been worse this year.
    Then Flip comes on board and the Pistons have a record setting regular season...
    We hit our first bump and the I told ya so's come out of the woodwork.... let me repeat we were in a very similar situation the last two years with LB, facing elimination on the road.

Blame the coach all you want but if you can't see the players are messing up also then you're only kidding yourself... most intellegent folks wouldn't buy that theory.

Fire the coach... fire the ...geesh get a life... this ain't gonna happen after the first year.... accept reality or move aside.
  6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

well it wasn't like that at the start of the game. there were plenty of empty seats and the crowd *was* louder than usual but not rabid. and the first missed call with tayshaun's block...i think that was one of the most significant plays of the game. if TP gets that block i feel it gives the cavs a seed of doubt and gives the pistons the confidence to play their game and win. instead everyone got the 'here we go again' attitude.

anyway, i mostly have questions that don't appear to have an answer.

- why put lindsey in with a few mins to go in the 3rd when it was obvious chauncey was getting hot and we needed the offense more than the defense?
    - why put lindsey in at all over delk when you don't need to really guard damon jones and eric snow?
    - why has delk not been used in the postseason when he created an awesome dynamic with the team, can create his own quality shot, is a great rebounder, decent defender, and is our best cold shooter off the bench?
    - why did sheed sub for dice at the end of the game instead of sheed for ben? dice was 5/5 that quarter, and ben isn't going to shoot with 1.7 left. now you have 5 guys defending 3 shooters instead of 4 shooters. actually scratch that, why was lindsey in the game instead of delk? now you're down to 2 shooters - rip and sheed - because tayshaun is taking the ball out of bounds. WE HAD TWO SHOOTERS IN WITH 1.7 SECONDS LEFT IN THE GAME AND NEEDING TO SCORE?!?! THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD LINEUP IF WE WERE UP BY 2 AND HAD TO PLAY DEFENSE, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!! geez that makes me mad.
    - why did we have our last offensive possession the past 2 games ending in a tayshaun jumper? (the possession last game that started with 27 seconds left). furthermore, why did we wait 10-15 seconds to shoot the ball when we're down by 2 with 27 to go?
    - why has dale davis received 0 time when dice was struggling and when davis will punk anyone trying to go to the lane?
    - why does varejao get away with illegal screens every time and why is this never called? why does he pretend to get hit in the face whenever he doesn't get a rebound, and why is this called?
    - why has flip made no adjustements game-to-game? why not try single-teaming lebron in game 4 or game 5? i'd rather have him get 40 points and 0 rebounds rather than 21 points and 10 assists.
    - why do we double-team so much in the first place? we were supposed to make one man beat us, now we're allowing their whole team to get involved and playing 5 on 5 when they have the best player on the floor. we're double-teaming which causes late rotations which leavs guys wide open, which is why we lost game 7 in the 4th quarter last year.
    - why did rip not catch-and-shoot on the last possession...did he really think he'd get a foul called that late in the game? why did we stop running screens for rip in the first place?
    - what happened to the pick-and-roll with sheed by the 3-point line? even if sheed doesn't shoot, he's a great passer from up top, and it forces the defenders into making difficult decisions on how to guard
    - why did 1 of my two tailpipes coming out of my muffler fall off on my way home last night with a $60 pair of chrome tips when it was securely fastened and only 3 years old? should i go back and look for it even though they're probably so scratched they'd look gross anyway?
    - why am i waiting over reserving plane tickets when i have a decent price and they were $60 higher yesterday, but i'm hesitant because they were $70 cheaper than the current price 3 days ago, but i run a big risk of not getting this in-between price?
    - do i go to the tigers' game friday and wuss out on not watching game 6 until i know the result?

and those are my thoughts.
  7. basketbills

True to a point Merc. I'm still a believer. But on the other hand I don't think we have ever faced this type of dismal collapse before. This seems different.

My point (and I'm standing by it) is that pretty much all of the blame was heaped on LB where Flip isn't heaped on near as much. If we pull this out like I think we will that's cool because Flip will be tested by fire.

Of course the players are to blame. That's not the point. The point is that some folks look on this as an episode of General Hospital rather that a basketball series. They wanted to create a Villain last year based on soap opera journalism and hatred of the Coach's personality.

Hey if we win all is good and a new coaching hero is created...if not we have a new villain for this episode of General Hospital. It's all on the line now.

I don't know about you but I love watching how players/coaches react under extreme tests like this. Reputations are made.
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Good stuff WH lol

Some excellent questions there.
    The one I'd like to address is Ben play in the final seconds when you need to score... this has always bothered me... LB did the same thing.
    We have seen Ben get tip backs for a 2nd chance or a O board... but it doesn't seem nearly a beneficial as keeping teams from doubling the scorers...
    And I definately agree with you on Delk being MIA.
    Some coaching blunders for sure.
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Flip's trash pile has been rapidly growing... but certainly not to LB proportions yet...
    Come to think of it maybe only Pop & A.J. have escaped fanatical trashing this year... guess that's the nature of the beast... the coach is the last to get the credit and first to get blamed.
    Weren't some folks saying this team could coach itself to the ships?... we can put that to rest.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Don't look. It was stolen by Cleveland fans.

You have homecourt advantage. Use it.
  11. basketbills

I'm counting on the Scalabrine effect to kick in for games 6 and 7. Pistons get their butts kicked and finally wake up and play Piston ball.
  12. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I was definitely one of those people, I confess. I said this as they ran through the regular season mostly unscathed. I was also one of those people that wanted Nate McMillan and not Flip Saunders. Cleveland has done its homework on 'ol Flip. He can't make adjustments. Doesn't know how to coach in a pressure cooker. Doesn't make the right moves. 'Course, the players do deserve a lot of the blame, but Cleveland gets some credit, too. This is not just a physical game, it's a thinking-man's game, too.
  13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Micro, you hit it on the head again. The damage has been done and to expect us to be able to counter after 3 games is a stretch. I am not confident. It is a tough situation.

We all are focusing on this play or that but we have been flat out out-played. The games are worse than the score. We do lack speed off of the bench--a good penetrator. But what bothers me is that we are asking our guys to do things we all know they are not good at. Like one of Warthog's questions, why is not Rip pulling up for the jumper and why is he not coming off of screens, etc.

Maybe the pressure will swing back to Cleveland--I can always hope.
  14. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Anyone have a video of the Sheed elbow to Varejao noggin that drew the personal foul and eventual tech.
  15. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

I think I know why Flip is a poor playoff coach. He is too stuborn. He fails to even consider adjustments within a game or from game to game. He sticks with his favorite players no matter what the circumstances.

Why can we suddenly not defend the pick and roll?

I think there is something happening to poison the team chemistry. Could it be Ben?

Why are we not aggressive?

Why did we stop shooting 3's?
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I will get this for you later. If you could post back the score of the game when it happened, that would be a big help.
  17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm not backing down guys. The Pistons will somehow pull it out. :fingerscrIt cannot end like this. :frusty:

I feel sick to my stomach about this and literally have a headache :sick:. It doesn't look good at all. I'm a pessimist by nature, but the cavalry will arrive. Somehow. Some way. Just in the nick of time.:wacko:

I hate what is happening but for better or worse they are our team! I'm not predicting a victory out of mere loyalty, but the Pistons are the better team and will find a way.

:pray: Let us play our best game. (and please let the refs be neutral).
  18. lemonpen

Roscoe,
    the infraction occurred at about 10:49 - 10:26 of the 4th qtr with a score of 73-66.

Thanks
  19. lemonpen

I'm with you Tater. The boys have uterly amazed me before, so I choose to believe they can do it again. :fingerscr
  20. basketbills

I believe too Tater...even though right now the boys are looking as healthy as Muffin the Cat. Hopefully this will just be a fading ugly memory after the next two games.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.