Round 2 Game 7 - "The Witness Falls"

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by max, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

The Pistons have been forced to step it up by the Cavs. Miami won't be easy but atleast the Pistons won't approach the series with a lax attitude. They are now playoff primed!!
  2. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

The Nets can't hit jumpshots with any consistency and their only post option (Carter) was eliminated by Posey, which is ultimately why they lost. The Pistons, at least theoretically, can make perimeter shots.

The Pistons are a much better team than the Heat. But, as we've seen, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll win easily, or even at all.
  3. Reve

Reve First Round Draft Pick

I don't see where we are that much better that it merits an "easily" tag.

Carter played very well in that NJ series. It was Walker taking out Jefferson that made the difference.

I think we will win this thing but if it goes less then 6 I will be surprised.

Wade scares me. He hasn't played that well so far during this playoff series. Neither has Shaq. If they get going we will be in for a dog fight.
  4. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Tay has stepped up in this series. Flip has to trust the bench and give Tay a little rest. Lindsey was awesome. If the guys shot even decently from the FT line, this would have been a blowout.
  5. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I know Carter played well; I was just saying that his post-up game was largely taken away from him and he was forced to score on isolation dribble-drives and jumpshots.

Walker getting hot is the best thing that could have happened to us. He's shot somewhere in the twenties against the Pistons for the last three years, and his thinking that he can hit jumpers and consequently jacking them up at will should help Detroit, at least in the early games.

I'm sure Wade will kill us again, but I think how easily the Pistons win this series depends on whether Shaquille O'Neal is ref'd as relatively fairly as he has been in the first two rounds, or is allowed to go back to beating up his defenders on the block. The fat man is on the way out, but he's still got his bulk.

I expect Chauncey and Tayshaun's roles to be reversed in the next series. Billups should go off on GP/White Chocolate, and Prince will be shut down by Posey.
  6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I disagree. It`s not Wade or Shaq, they can get theirs, it`s the supporting cast we can`t let get off.

GP, Posey, Walker, etc...........
  7. Reve

Reve First Round Draft Pick

I remember playing Walker back when he was coinfident. If he is starting to feel it and starts to believe in himself we should be afraid of him. If he doesn't play well the first two games then we should watch him for the rest of the series.

I just feel easily is the wrong word. Wade has gotten his points in the last two series but he hasn't played his best basketball. Not even close.
  8. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

First off we won by shutting em down especially in the 2nd half.Agreed Dlev we need to shut down the clowns the ring leaders will get theirs.

Still with the lack of ft consistency and bad games by players too many times we look out of sorts from usual.This should be a stepping stone back to good play going into this series.
  9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Whew!!!!

I just could be getting too old for this. The kids took care of business when it counted and did it the old fashioned way - 23 points in the second half for the entire Cavs team, barely more than LBJ alone had in the first. Hats off to Lindsey for changing the game toward the end of the first half.

I lost some respect for LBJ at the end - it was crap when the Pistons walked off the floor after losing to the Bulls, and it was crap for him to make a quick exit this time around. Shake hands like a man and get over this drama queen stuff.
  10. max

max All-Star

23 second half points for the Cavs. James was 1-9 ( really 0-9 if the call against Sheed was called correctly - non continuation )

Pistons had to win this. Held them to 61 points? Clev did tighten a bit in the 4th and there was sort of a choke job by LBJ but it was mainly the good old Piston D.

Just a good old fashion heavy handed Eastern Conf elimination game there.

Huge props out to Prince, Hunter, Sheed and Ben. Really stepped it up.
  11. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

First Star goes to Tay the ironman. This series was a MAJOR step up. It came when many were suspecting a bit of regression. Prince is beginning to look like quite a bargain even at the rate of his new contract ($8 Mil per).

Second Star goes to Lindsey the roadrunner. He obviously provided a spark with his D and 3 baskets. But as importanly he raised the pace of both our O and D beyond the Cavs capacity to match. His effect was lasting. Once out of the game we were still executing crisply.

Third Star goes to the "pressure of a GAME 7". A combination of our D, and the pressure of the moment was clearly overwhelming to the Cavs supporting cast. It only snowball as the game progressed. Their inadaquacy coupled with our hot start was likely responsible for James taking on so much of the first half scoring load, and burning himself out for the finish.

Each series and opponent is a whole new set of challenges so guys, don't be so quick to believe problems against the Cavs will materialize into diddly against the Heat.
  12. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

This series was too tough. Many lessons for the team to learn. Tay has become a monster. Next year, we run the offense through Tay down at the wing. Hunter gave us that spark off of the bench. Joe has to bring in speed off of the bench for next year. With speed off of the bench, we handle Cleveland easily. We need someone who can consistently change the pace of the game on that second team.

Chauncey will you please take the three when the ball comes back to you, stop taking it without passing and stop trying to make spectacular fast breaks with long passes and we will be alright.
  13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Bball, agree on the Tay. We can run the offense through him more and more. Disagree somewhat on Dice. When Dice is in, we need to use his offense--agree. Against Cleveland, he should have been used from the top and allowed to take his open jumper.

But, we lose a LOT of defense with Dyss against Le Bron. He is not fast enough to close the lane. We should have asked Ben to use his fouls and close the lane earlier on Le Bron's drives. He did make those two blocks in game 6 in the fourth, but Rip make the foul underneath.

Anyway, new series. Dice will give the Heat a fit down low in the offense. Flip needs to do some serious coaching. Not impressed with him this series.
  14. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Tayshaun will not ever be a focal point to an offense, simply because he can't pass out of double teams (not to mention his forever-broken jumpshot).

He was only a monster in this series because on either isolations or screen/roll switches, he was being guarded by 1) LeBron James, a notably horrible defender, or 2) a small guard like Eric Snow, Flip Murray, Damon Jones, or occasionally Hughes, none of whom can do a thing about his hook shot.

Things will be different against James Posey. In fact, I expect Tayshaun to be a complete non-factor on the block against Miami except when he's being guarded by Wade or Derek Anderson.

I don't want to be accused of being a "hater" or of being overly pessimistic, but remember Jerome James's success last year against the 6-6 and under Sacramento Kings. Some situations are ideal for success; that does not mean that success will be universal.
  15. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

only 4 (or 3?) second half to's
    out rebounded them 48-36 (including 13-9 on offensive boards)
    (obviously) Cleveland 30 fg % for the game
    18-32 from the line: if we make just 70 % of those 32 ft's that's another 4 or 5 points (especially in the first half), which could have made the runaway even easier

brilliant game for tay...i do agree with whoever said that his passing out of the double was weak, and i don't think it's cause he only had ben to pass to -- i actually think it's cause the team does too much standing around when someone posts up. i'm all for the post-ups and glad to see them so good at identifying the mismatches down low...but clearing out one side for a post up doesn't mean you've got to stand still there can be all kinds of movement down the weakside of the lane and along the arc. that wasn't, for the most part, happening and that's why, i think, tay's passing out of the post appeared weak.

dyess 8 boards and 3/4 in 16 mins
    lindsey obviously

and ben may only have had 9 boards, but that's also because everyone else was very conspicuously MORE active on the boards than usual (witness chauncey's 8 def. boards)

this is more than good enough for me to round on this series.
    miami is obviously better than cleveland overall, but i'm not convinced that they are more dangerous (especially, psychologically) than the cavs. the pistons could even sweep this series, but i'm not counting on that. no victory, whether in four games or in seven, will be EASY against the heat. but there's no good reason we shouldn't win the necessary four (hard-fought) games....

and, i just can't resist this (apologies in advance): i hope everyone around here and everywhere else who was whining and writing the team off after the game 5 loss learns how to believe in your team no matter what (even while airing legitimate criticisms)...

can't ever lose that faith...it's just wrong wrong wrong (unless of course you are a casual fan, in which case, what the hell are you doing here?)

k -- spleen vented, venom discharged: happy eastern conference finals everyone!!
  16. Dlev59

Since when did Posey become a defensive stopper? His defense is adequate, however I dont see him locking down Dyess, Tay or any other Piston player for that matter.

I agree, Tay does need to pass better out of double teams. The reason he ws used exclusively on the block in game 7 was because of the mismatches that favored the Pistons.

Against the Heat Tay probably will not be used as he was in the Cav`s series but I don`t see Posey having his way with Tay, on defense or offense.
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We don't have time to celebrate this victory. The good is that the Pistons don't have to get on a plane and fly anywhere until Friday. Now they have three things to do tomorrow...look sat the Bulls/Heat tapes to see how the bulls were able to win two games from them and then at the Nets/Heat series to see how the Nets were able to steal a road victory from them and finally spend some time at the FT line practicing..

FT shooting was 6-16 in the first half :doh: and a better 12-16 in the second half.

The Pistons got 13 points off the bench with Lindsey coming up with the huge spark in the 3rd qtr after laying an egg in the first half.

They will need more from these two plus key contributions from Mo, Delf, Delk and Davis it they hope to prevail vs the Heat. :nod:

This series will not be cakewalk as some of us presumed three weeks ago. It's another one that might go seven unless we can rediscover our offense and button down the D as we did in the second halft today and put these guys out in 5 or 6. We definitly cannot blow big leads like we did today and you know the Heat, like the Mavs and Suns are never out of a game witnessed by all of the comeback victories this year.
  18. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

:confused: Posey is one of the best defensive swingmen in the NBA, and has done an exceptional job against Prince throughout his career. Of course he'd be killed by Dice, but that's to be expected for a small forward. But Posey locks up Prince in the post almost all the time.

At the other end, Posey is pretty much exclusively a spot-up jumpshooter, so that's different.
  19. Dlev59

Didn`t know those two faced each other in heated battles before, with Posey getting the better of Tay. Who did Posey play for when these battles took place?
  20. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

tay is the man. he stepped up and carried us. he will continue to cause more matchup problems the rest of the way in the playoffs.

yeah. i agree we should have went to mcdyess. remember all those scoring droughts we went through in games 3, 4, 5. mcdyess should have been in and going to him a lot. mcdyess didn't get enough minutes this series. nobody on cleveland can defend him. for what we lose on defense we gain so much more on offense. our problem this series wasn't defense it was offense.

we dont' lose a lot of defense. you just have to change the way you defend lebron when mcdyess is in. don't switch the pick and roll or give mcdyess more help when he switches onto lebron. i'm sorry but ben didn't do that good of a job on lebron either. i will say that has something to do with the refs but i think lebron got quite a few layups while ben was standing on the floor. also lebron dunked on ben really hard. did you see what happened when verajao tried to dunk on mcdyess??? he got a good hard foul.

i don't think mcdyess will get the minutes. ben will be in and getting dogged by shaq. flip has to keep ben happy cause he isn't under contract after this year. i truly don't think ben would be happy with mcdyess pulling shaq out of the paint and grabbing boards like a madman and defending shaq and zo just as well as ben can.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.