Round 3 Game 1... Heat @ Pistons

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by mercury, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

well lemon, it is true to some degree that there are a lot of people who go to playoff games to be seen, or to impress, or view it as some sort of status thing. i pulled next to a C5 black convertible in the parking lot (since i have a C6 black convertible i figured i'd do him a favor and not have some idiot park next to him), and some dorky looking guy and smokin hot chick came out (and thank you hot chick for adjusting your jeans with your butt right in front of my face as i was in my car)...so yeah, this guy had no chance with this chick but took her for the status of it ... 'look at me i've got a vette and can afford pistons games and look at this trophy on my arm.' and if the guy i'm talking about is on these boards then uh, nevermind what i just said :P

i agree with professor actually, it's encouraging in that we outscored them after the initial lapse, and that we made their role players beat us - to their credit they did beat us, but we also didn't defend them very well. williams, walker, and payton going 17 for 27? the only excuse for that is not playing defense.

the thing that annoys me the most is when we take a jumpshot and CONCEDE the rebound. you saw against cleveland we had chauncey with 8 boards, rip with 8, etc. if you know you're in a funk, have some guys stay in the paint to try to get the rebound.

also, you gotta play delk and LET HIM SHOOT. he's not a bad defender and can certainly handle the likes of payton and williams. if rip can take 22 shots and only make 9, or chauncey take 18 and make 6 or whatever it was, let delk take that many. i'll take my chances with him.

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The dreaded drought to open the game and spot them to the 11 point lead and the critical one near the end of the third and to start the 4th did this team in. I think they missed 12 straight shots with Wade on the bench for a part of that time.

Unfortunately we still have no one other than Prince who will attack the rim (an make it) Ben is no good down low unless it is an uncontested dunk or lob. Sheed still backs off for fadeaway. Dice catches and shoots from wherever he is. if he is rhythm great, if not brich. We need to use the baseline to attack ala Wade and stop relying on the J from wherever you are standing. The Heat who average 50+ in the paint every game will continue to pound and if we can adjust to do the same and shut down Walker, the Glove and the poser, we can win this series. Definite wins in game 2 and 3 are needed IMO to get the momentum back !

3. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Looking at the game from the point of view of runs and flows, one difference was that miami had several short, extreme runs: 11-0, 11-1, 11-2, and the pistons had several longer, extended runs: 11-4, 16-3, 17-9.

http://www.popcornmachine.net/cgi-bin/gameflow.cgi?date=20060523&game=MIADET

Looking at this game flow in combination with the nba.com's full play by play, I saw this:

Miami Runs:
    1st Q: 11-0, 3:14 duration (11-0)
    2nd Q: 9-1, 2:47 duration (48-39)
    3rd Q: 11-1, 2:51 duration (66-61)
    4th Q: 11-2, 3:44 duration (80-67)

TOTAL: 42-4 12:36

That leaves for Detroit an advantage of 82-49 over the remaining 35:24.

Probably there's lots of conclusions to be drawn from this, especially if you break down who was in and doing what during each of those Miami runs (which I'm too lazy to do right now). Short successful bursts obviously worked for Miami last night, but I'd rather not have to rely on quick bursts over the long haul. Those bursts are too dependent on hot streaks and adrenaline rushes. I'll put my money, over the course of a seven game series, on the team that can peck away and dominate over long stretches of time.

thoughts?

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm wondering how much time the Heat had for game preperation effected the poor offense... we've seen their plan now we're on equal ground.
    I'm willing to chaulk this one up to an advantage for the Heat (plus terrible shooting).

I think we can draw more realistic conclusions after Thursdays game.

5. max

max All-Star

The whole point is that the Pistons played D and took the charges. It was not blind luck that put them in foul trouble it was part of the defensive game plan to do so.

6. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

The "D" IMO wasn't very good as the lane was essentially uncontested. My point was that we can expect Wade and Shaq to have more signficant contributions the next time around. Game 1 was a chance to take advantage of their situation.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Prof., that is freaky! So what you're saying is when Miami took the "Mo" they beat us over the head with it.
    7 games. hopefully.

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm starting to think that any elbow in the face should be called flagrant... even if it's from the offensive player... I'm getting tired of seeing Shaq lead with his elbow to Ben's chops... then he's got the nerve to argue the call....
    Nothings gonna be said until Zo or Shaq break someone's nose.... Hell Ben might as well elbow Shaq in his gut and send the message.... eye for an eye.

9. professor

i guess yeah: they took it over briefly, but brutally.

but for a championship run: slower and steadier seems more likely to prevail, in my opinion.

i think we did good job (as i think merc or max said) in drawing Shaq and Wade into foul trouble and so limiting their effectiveness. It's hard for me to imagine that we'll let the four guys (Williams, Walker, Payton, and POsey) go off on us again; or, at least, often enough to win the series. And i do not believe that limiting shaq and wade as we did last night is mutually exclusive to limiting their role players. i think it's more that our guys relaxed on the secondary players (typically underestimating them: after all Payton and Walker are good -- and once were excellent -- players).

interesting too, for what it's worth, that Shaq was -1, Wade only +4, for the game and Mourning +14.

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

How much better would a less rested Shaq & Wade have played then their subs last night?
    I'm always concerned when an opponent in foul trouble has been resting and comes back in the 4th against our starters that have played the whole game...
    If we don't take advantage of them sitting then the advantage swings back over to them.

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I agree over 7 games the steadier team will win. But not with erratic shooting. High % shots baby.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here are some stats for y'all.

+/- leaders on the Pistons for game 1:
    High- Evans at +7
    2nd high- Lindsay at +5
    Low- Rip at -11
    2nd low- Ben at -9

HEAT SHOOTING-
    Alonzo- 100%
    Dwayne- 82%
    Gary P- 75%
    JWill- 71%
    Shaq- 50%
    Antoine- 50%

And the anchor, Udonis Haslem- 38 minutes, 0 points, and 5 fouls... ouch.

The Pistons' shots seemed to be uncharacteristically short... indicating that maybe there were tired from their defensive effort in game 7.

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Thanks TaS, I still don't want to believe these guys were tired.
    Let'd see what game 2 brings.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It a team is ever allowed to be tired, it is now. They went through a 7 game series where they had to come back from 2-3 and win on the road. Then in the final game, they won with a sustained defensive masterpiece. Everyone knows that it takes more energy to play D. And also, they did it without sharing the minutes with the bench. TaShaun held "The Maestro/ His Majesty/ The Chosen One/ The King" in check without any rest what so ever.

The shots were missing. They were short. And the Heat had 52 points in the paint. Those are all signs of Piston fatigue.

At least we don't have any back-to-backs.

The Pistons really need a hot shooting night to energize them again.

15. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

I would like to point out as others kind of have that the Heat had a week to prepare (although they might have made a few plans for the king and company) a week of Riley barking orders at them a week to rest and a week to heal. That said I think we took the Heats best shot last night. Had the Pistons shot a little better or if Sheed had shown up we would be talking about another gutsy win by the boys. We got Shaq and Wade in early foul trouble we played fairly good defense (Big Ben Pissed me off on 1 play where he let Payton blow right by him without even a hint of him going up for the block) and we kept the game close.
    The Heats hot shooting will cool off (Wade will not shoot 9-11 and Payton will not be 6-8 that’s for sure) and the Pistons will shoot better plain and simple. There is no way in hell we shoot 37.8% from the field again in this series. If cats want to jump off the wagon this early you just don’t get what this team can do. Did anyone think we would sweep the Heat anyway?

16. professor

:nod: um, ahem, actually, i did predict a sweep in my nba playoff pool entry... but i agree with everything you say here sausage king...

and truly, once the pistons reminded me of the kind of playoff team they really are (i.e. once the regular season drugs wore off -- probably in game 4 of the cleveland series), i revised my own private prediction for miami: detroit in 6 (including losing one in detroit). so detroit in 6...or 7. but detroit for sure. definitely. no doubts. detroit. detroit in 6... or 7.:fingerscr

17. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Even the Color analyst for the Heat admitted today on Full Court Press (Sirius radio show) that same thing on the midrange jumpers. Payton getting his shots was unusual, and the rest of the team following his lead to add rather than retract the lead was also very unusual. Especially since Haslem was goosegged. When Pistons took the lead, I thought that was it--lockdown and game. So, yeah I think fatigue hit them at time it mattered most.

18. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Late poster,I scanned through and all made good points.We brought this on ourselves by letting the Cavs take us 7 games period.Tired or not with some focus on the role players of Maimi defensively we should have won this one.

Ben's defense I thought was fine and I can't say for every play but there were some where he stayed off the penetrator so he didn't get the easy lob to Shaq.Is that the right strategy?Take the penetrator everytime and let Shaq dunk?I don't know.

We shot like stale butt and that was what killed us.On a good note we found our ft% and I hope whatever cardboard box in the Palace storage room that they stuffed our fg% they rummage through before game 2.

19. max

max All-Star

Losing this 1st game was probably the best thing that could happen in the series. Now the team has to play at 100% the rest of the way.

If we would have won the 1st 2 at home then I would have bet my house on us losing game 3. Perhaps even game 4 as well.

20. justise32

justise32 First Round Draft Pick

Now, I have to agree. I love CB, but he does look somewhat lost the last 3 or 4 games. Even when he's doing interviews. Must be going through something personal, because he just doesn't look the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.