Round 3 Game 2 ... Heat @ Pistons

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think the tension and anxiety of the game got to all of us in different ways.

What is important is that we are going to Miami to steal a game.

or two.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Interesting that you understood it that way. I thought Prince was insinuating that Bavetta admitted he blew it, but Prince didn't want to say that and "put anyone out there." But now that you say that, I'm really wondering what was said. I suppose we'll find out tomorrow in a Parker or Wojo column.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

OK you won, I am not going to argue about it.
  4. roscoe36

I'm an interview junkie. I like to think I could do impersonations of most of the players. Maybe I was looking too hard, but my first impression of Tay (based off of dozens of post game interviews) was that he really got shook up and felt strongly enough about what Bavetta said to throw it out there on national TV (Tay is no one's fool, he knew what he was doing).
  5. Darth Tater

Darn, if only it was this easy with my wife. :laugh:
  6. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Get a split at Miami and I will be feeling real good about this team's chances. Hopefully Game 3.
  7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Good points, Dre, as always.
  8. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Let's definitely make it Game 3, please. Down 2-1 on the road? Even though the Pistons have come out of it before, I never like being in that situation.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Got a little too close for comfort there at the end, but we kept the outcome of the game in our hands and came away with a win. Note, we did not have that much a margin of error. If Flip had tried to hide his favorite scrub into the game, we could have lost. Instead, he chose to use good solid NBA players.

Delfino did not play a whole lot, yet it was night and day difference when he was in there or not in there with our bench. Our bench with Hunter in there without Billups just did not work unless Delfino was in at small forward sharing some of the load of making the offense run. A pick here, a good feed to the post there. Lots of good stuff by Delfino on both ends of the floor. No stats, but if you look a little closer, he was helping us get bounds, helping us come up with loose balls. Its certainly a step in the right direction. Now hopefully Flip will look at the film and realize that he simply needs to ensure he keeps Delfino in the game whenever Billups sits and we will do even better going forward.

And Dale Davis got time. Great. Some more fouls you can give Shaq and a little more energy for our bigs toward the end of the game. Even though Shaq made way too many free throws for my liking, fouling him was effective, as often it gave Miami side line out vs. a scoring op from Shaq or from Shaq finding a shooter off our double team. We still have not used Cato though, and I think we will have to to get a win down in Miami. For some of the game, you actually need to put someone on Shaq who can keep him away from the basket. With Shaq near the basket, if our big comes off him to help, Shaq is right there for a catch and dunk.

Rip nailed some long range shots, Sheed hit a couple of threes and hit several other shots for about 16 points I believe. Billups did some scoring, not a ton. But Tay was the big time scoring hero tonight. Man was he aggressive going into the lane. He would attack once, get stopped, turn and attack again, and a third time if needed. But he kept finding his way to the basket. And he continues to make those free throws. After being the clear MVP of the last series, he is well on his way to being MVP of this one. 11 bounds too, a whole lot of them offensive.

Hunter did not do that great on Wade tonight, but Flip certainly used him extensively on Wade. Good job of coaching. Hunter did ok at least, which saved energy for Rip and Tay to score more. On offense, like I mentioned, Hunter could not make anything work, nor could he hit a shot himself. Flip, in my opinion, ought to give up the idea of Hunter being a point guard. Play him along side Delfino and let Delfino do the bulk of the ball handling. Hunter can be a very valuable asset in this series, as long as he uses all his energy for one thing, guarding Wade.

Dyess did not do a whole lot in this one. Delk played briefly in the 1st half and did little.

This is pretty obvious, but I will mention it for anyone who may be reading who does not follow the game that closely. Shaq is not too quick. The more the Pistons can push the ball up the floor and shoot before Shaq gets back on defense the better. We did some of this, but we can do more.

For this game, other than Wade and Shaq, the rest of the Miami players were cold shooting the ball. And we still just won the game. Don't expect things to get any easier Saturday night down in Miami. Of course, since Flip seems to be on the right track tonight with his use of the bench, it could get easy. Its up to Flip. PS Evans did not get into the rotation in three of the last 4 games. All Piston wins. The one game Flip tried to hide him in there for a spell, we lost the game. Give it up Flip. Especially in Miami Saturday night. Please don't even try it. Us Piston fans are rather fond of wins. GO PISTONS!!!!!
  10. ggazoo69

Anakin, I agree wholeheartedly that Detroit is the better team. Problem is, they don't always play like it. And they're not better by much. A few bad calls or bad bounces one way or the other make a real difference.
  11. LA Dre

Yeah when my wife starts yelling, I walk away too...kept it real for 20+ years :eyebrows: ....good comments dude
  12. ggazoo69

That steal at the end looked pretty "great" to me.
  13. Darth Tater

I'll take either game and be happy, but game 3 would be my preference. I don't want to think about the prospect of losing game 4 and falling behind 3-1. :faint2: I would like our chances going back to Detroit at 2-2.
  14. roscoe36

That was due to Delfino. :rolleyes:
  15. LA Dre

Agree, grabbing game 3 and the HCA back right away is most important to keep up the momentum and put some scare in the minds of the Heat as they would be in panic mode in game 4 knowing that they may have to go back to Motown down 3-1
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Lord how I have missed Lee.....sort of....I guess
    Ben, I have to take up for this guy in a big way, here goes. When Ben gets TOUCHES we play our best ball. You need 5 players involved in the offense every possession for this team to excel. Ben Wallace is the only starter that when he catches the ball at the top from the strong side IMMEDIATELY SWINGS THE BALL WEAKSIDE FORCING THE DEFENSE TO ROTATE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sheed, Rip, Lindsey and Chauncey are notorious for holding the dang ball instead of instinctively swinging it to the weakside. When Ben gets TOUCHES it means that this team is sharing and moving the ball. Ben does not want TOUCHES so that he can get more shots and score more points, Ben wants TOUCHES because he's the only starter at times that seems to remember what it takes/took for this team to be champions
    -Tough Defense
    -Tough Rebounding
    -Sharing and Moving the ball
    Every dang time we got to the 2 man game and Iso BS, we f$#$%n blow a lead or get our azziz kicked. For 2 seasons we all knew that this team got into trouble when 1 or 2 players (mainly Chauncey and Rip) would try to put too much pressure on themselves to get this team going. After every loss it was the same old story, "We got away from sharing the ball...." "We tried to go too much one on one" every time it was the same story, now we actually have sets designed to put pressure on one guy to do it all.
    When 2Chest, is our primary play and Rip runs his man ragged it opens up sooooo many options
    -Rip can shoot
    -Rip can drive the lane off the curl
    -Rip can drive and drop off to Ben
    -Rip can drive and kick weakside
    -When Bens man helped on the curl the lob to Ben from the pt was WIDE OPEN
    Man I could go on for days, however it was good to see our boys 'PLAYING THE RIGHT WAY" for 3 qtrs. Now lets hope we can steal game 3, cause that'll put us up 2-1, then you know we'll lose game 4-cause we can't handle success, but we come back to the Palace tied up after a loss, so we'll win game 5 and go up 3-2 hopefully with enough motivation to closeout on the road in 6.
  17. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

Due to his mild mannered nature, I feel like Tayshaun's national criticism will resonate with the media and the league. i don't know if it will cause any effect, but at least it gets people talking (Bill Simmons has been calling out Bavetta a lot, as well).
  18. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

its over, bro...u kno whatimean?
  19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

whats ur name again/ lee is it? o the guy from DetNews.com's forum! Do u ever enter the chat room here?
  20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Kgreg, I totally agree. I have been posting about our offense since we scored like 28 points against Indiana last year for a half. There is no reason we shouldn't score well against a slow-footed Miami. We absolutely need to move the ball from side to side, have players cutting the lane and when we drive, not be afraid to kick it out to a shooter. Our guys are not one on one players especially Rip and Chauncey.

Tay is a real development and I would like to see him handle the ball more on the side and survey the defense. His skills put tremendous pressure on the Heat. They really can't cover him and it will open up others. Believe it or not, they cannot handle Tay on the offensive boards either. He is too quick for them on the jump.

We are not a post up team either. How many post ups did Sheed or Rip or Chauncey or even Dyss get tonight? But if we move the ball, we are a very good offensive team.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.