Round 3 Game 3 ... Pistons @ Heat

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

Okay, that's fair. Everybody has off-days, even in the playoffs. But until this year, they never occurred frequently enough to get on my nerves.

Hey, that's cool. I can respect that. :)

I guess our definitions of "when the chips are down" are somewhat different is all. I certainly don't expect them to go 82-0 in the regular season -- I take off work early if there's not much going on -- but as soon as the playoffs start is when I expect them to go into "maximum" mode.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

All interesting and good points Zoso. We'll see what happens with Ben.

Total bummer about tonight.
  3. Reve

Reve First Round Draft Pick

I can handle losing but I hate bad attitudes. Rasheed and Ben should just grow up.
  4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is it to late for us to take Wade instead of Darko with our pick??:fingerscr

I haven't read every line of the CBA yet, but can't we use a do over or something?
  5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

What specifically are you talking about?
  6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The Heat beat us fairly easily which has me very worried. I know we got to within a point but we never stopped their attack and you knew that our offense would fold at any time. We scored 83 points--that is 7 straight low scoring games. Teams seem to know how to stop our offense.

Flip's adjustments on offense were to make everyone pass some to Ben down low. Not that good an idea. He should have anticipated the hack a Ben. Wade is torching us. Other teams do much better with him.

Unless we have another gear, we could be in trouble. We don't have a quick guard off the bench to capitalize on their slowness. We can't run on them to break them down.

I would use Davis and Cato early to take fouls on Shaq and force them into using Wade early. On offense, Tay should bring the ball down as he is a mismatch in the open floor for them.
  7. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

I am not worried at all. All we need is one game on the road. it is even better to have game 4 than having game 3 for one simple reason: get the momentum home.

Why am i not worried?

• We played bad, we were in the game for about 3 and half quarters.
    • CB's confidence is BACK. this will make a difference.
    • we were very close dispite the fact that Prince had 3 points.
    I can list 10 more reasons. You heard my words, Game 4 is ours.
  8. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

There is no place for wade on this team. i wouldn't trade neither Rip nor CB for him. so too late to ask this question. Unless he wants to start from the Bench:)
  9. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

what a loss.
    - Wade missed only 5 shots, that's awesome- he was unstoppable for us.
    - Ben was useless, we can't afford having im in the game in the crucial moments- how freaky is that!??!?! If the game should be close, every team can play hackaben and we'll lose. This ain't funny, this makes me more worried than anything else
    - Tayshaun may be fatigued, it was just a question of time
    I don't want the team to lose this series against fat Shaq and his Minime (how is that written?)
  10. Darth Tater

Coincidentally, in Rob Parkers column today, he wrote that D. Wade may not automatically sign with the Heat. I'm a big Wade fan. He's the enemy during this series, but if things continue as they are...
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

What a game. What a boring, waste of a night game.

I never thought the Pistons had a chance in this one. Contrary to what a lot of folks have written, this wasn't about killer instincts or lack of desire.

They simply ran into a better Miami squad and didn't have the best game themselves. It makes the Game 1 "fatigue fest" all that much important, because stealing one in MIami is not a given.

Back to the Heat, they played great. Shaq in particular dominated the "painted area" and Wade was hotter than the dayside of hell.

We're in a tricky situation because Rasheed's ankle injury has taken away a lot of his mobility. He's not able to get lift on shots (at times over jumping on 3s) and his lateral quickness has totally disappeared.

Hence, he racks up fouls faster, and can't contribute on offense.

Which would all be fine if McDyess could come in and give 25 minutes of quality play, but he's been terrible. For every made shot, he's given up an open look for a likely turnover, and defensively, he's always just that fraction of a second late that guarantees the call is on him.

But even with Dyess not playing very good, we still have Dale Davis right? Nope. Maybe it's a conditioning/rhythm thing but when Davis didn't challenge Shaq physically and lost position, forcing him to hug foul, I realized what a complete waste of money he is. I can freaking hug foul Shaq for CHEAP, and I'm a pretty tenacious rebounder to boot!

The only help Davis is going to be in this series, is to eat up fouls. The guy is so far out of his prime, and SLOW that we'll never see Elden Campbell type defense out of him. He simply cannot make Shaq work for his shot.

Anyway, it is what it is. These are the guys we have, those are the guys they have, the series is 2-1 for the Bad Guys and Game 4 is a must win.

We need Tayshaun and Ben to produce offensively, and we need to draw fouls early. Anything less, and we're out.

Oh yeah, and one more thing.

WE NEED TO RUN AND TREY BOMB THE HECK OUT OF THESE SUCKAS.
  12. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I agree with you. Important that we have CB back. However, he still need to average 8 asst a game which is a rare thing since the playoffs started.

We need more from our forwards. Sheed, Tay and Dice need to do more both offensively and defensively. We NEVER expect Ben to be scorer since Dumars got him here from the Magic and don't think we can make him one now. So, points from our forwards is critical. Defensively, Ben definitely need help. Ben already has his hands full with Fatty and therefore we got to keep the driving penetration from Wade and Walker. We should try forcing Wade to drive to his left, not at the center or his right.

Game 4 is definitely ours.
  13. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Disappointed with the loss but have no expectations for this team going forward. If they win, great, if they don't, they don't. It seems as if the fans have more emotional involvment with the team than the team deserves. This team has not shown the passion, focus and team work of prior Pistons teams. Maybe its Flips fault for not demanding a tasking work ethic, but I will let him slide a bit on this as in many sports veteran teams need minimal coaching. IMO this lack of playoff performance is largely due to the fact that the team is slowly becoming a collection of growing egoes. A team can lose games but it should NEVER EVER be outworked. Defense is all about effort, not rocket science.

On the practical side, every game it seems as if 2-3 of the starting 5 completely disappear. The Pistons are literally playing short handed against teams with 1-2 legitimate stars who show up in almost all games.

DREW SHARP ARTICLE IN THE FREEP
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060528/SPORTS03/605280719/1051
  14. Darth Tater

I'm officially VERY concerned.
  15. linwood

linwood All-Star

I agree: Ben's free throws suck, Sheed isn't in the paint, not enough Delfino, etc. While all these things may be true, the thing that really bugs me is the WAY they are playing. No plays. One pass, then shoot. Ride the hot hand... I hate it. I want to see the pass that leads to the pass that gets the assist. I want to see consistent ball movement and consistent defensive effort. Is that too much to ask?

Ride the hot hand... puhleeze.

:mad:
  16. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

mcdyess has been playing well. he comes in and brings it offensively which is the area the pistons have been struggling. his turnovers are a result of trying to do too much in limited minutes. i think if mcdyess was getting a sure 30 minutes he would settle down and really get rolling. it's obvious that nobody on the heat can check him. mcdyess always gets a lot of bs calls i dont' think they are all because he's a fraction of a second late.

if anybody has been terrible it's been the dpoy. he's getting dogged by shaq and only getting 6 boards in 30 minutes. mcdyess got 4 in 25 and added 9 points. i think the heat know where our weak link is and they are attacking it. it's ben wallace and flip doesn't want to hurt ben's ego so he lets miami have their way with us. ben needs to sit simple as that.
  17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

It's not Mcdyess okay. The whole team is playing like crapp. I agree with the BS calls though. When we were down by 1 Dice got hacked on a dunk and then he tried drawing a charge on Wade and he gets called for a blocking foul. I hate NBA refs:mad::deadhorse.
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Nice call Tate. It was a 15 point loss. Lets hope you're right for Game 4:fingerscr:pray:
  19. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

A the risk of whipping a dead pony, Flip seems incapable of making in-game adjustments. :ohwell: We got beat mainly because they fronted our forwards and we never could solve it. He never adjusted.

They adjusted to our beating their pick and roll by grabbing Ben every time he touched the ball. We never countered.

There is not much you can do when Shaq is rolling like that but we let Wade get into a rhythm. We should have knocked him on his butt a couple of times. Rip didn't seem to cover him as tightly as in game 2.

Why wouldn't they try Cato on Shaq? He is bigger than Davis or Ben. Let him burn up some fouls and make Shaq work a little harder.

Why do we continue to bring the ball up so slowly? Wouldn't it make sense to bring it up quick to make Shaq run the floor.

Why did we take out Sheed when Zo came in? He owned him in game 2.

The managerial mistakes are very frustrating.:doh:
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

congo, nice to see you around! ;)

All of the mistakes are frustrating. Hunter seals the Game 2 win, and the hardly plays in Game 3.

Evans plays all year, and has been shooting excellent in the playoffs.

No run.

I'm at a loss. I really hope someone writes a tell-all about this season so we can find out what is what!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.