Round 3 Game 5 ... Heat @ Pistons

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Re: Watch The Game!

Chauncey was only 3 of 12 from the floor, but 11 of 11 from the line, with 10 assists against only one turnover! And even though Rip was 7 of 21 from the floor and had 4 turnovers, he also got TEN rebounds. He and Chauncey combined for 15 boards, which is pretty amazing.

Big ups to Dice, 12 pts and 6 boards in 19 minutes, and he didn't miss a shot from the floor OR the FT line (2 of 2 on the hack-a-Dice near the end). Gotta get production from him in every game now.
  2. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

I liked the energy from Ben and Lindsey.I'm tellin you Tay has been the most consistent player for us great game.Agreed Chauncey improved but still has room,Sheed did what he needed nonoffensively.That ankle is really bothering him I don't care what anybody thinks.Dice great game.

This is better tonight the way they played and put forth effort to get the win.Not perfect but a W.I was so pissed after 4 I just wanted this to be over.This team just needs to be slapped upside the skull for making me so emotional stringing out my hopes.Someone please hug me.
  3. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

The point is that the team defensive concept was not sound, and the Heat got to the line enough to win. Miami got misses from several unlikely players tonight, and Detroit makes from far more unlikely players. Combine that with the relatively friendly whistle the Pistons got tonight, and I have absolutely no confidence that they'll be able to win in Miami playing the way they did tonight.

The missed shots go both ways. The missed free throws don't.

And Flip is going to have to do something with the zone offense. The normal offense looked pretty bad, but there was some continuity. The zone completely confuses Billups and Hamilton.
  4. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

What exactly did Sheed do that was stellar over the course of the game? He pulled down 5 rebounds and scored 7 pts. Haslem didn't seem to have any problems against him.

Can somebody tell Rip not to run directly into big men? Pass, Rip, pass.
  5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

great game

flip finally did the smart thing and took ben out so there would be no hack a ben. hack a mcdyess doesn't fly. great game by mcdyess i've been calling for him to get more minutes.

great game by tay. i wish he would shoot earlier when the shot clock is running out at least get rim.

ben wallace had that great block on shaq. that was the play of the game for me. :fingerscr

i'm still pissed about the officiating. bump rip no foul but breathe on wade definite foul. the pressure is now on miami.
  6. anakin

On the friendly whistles, I agree. Wade will get a lot more calls going his way. On the makes from unlikely players I disagree. The back court didn't really do a whole lot. Dice stepped up which is not unusual. Prince has been the most consistent Piston in the playoffs. Who stepped up offensively besides these two?

The offensive flow looked fairly good in the 1st and 3rd but they struggled to convert. The Pistons inexplicably stop ball movement from time to time.

Game 6 will be a pressure cooker on both teams. Both have something to lose. Pistons go home, Miami will have to come back to D Town.
  7. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

He played very good help defense and solid man defense, although his mobility is clearly affected by the ankle. He was not a liability on the boards. He set a couple of fantastic screens. He posted up without the ball (a continuing problem with the weakside spacing is making Miami's fronting defense a wild success). He made some good cuts.

For the first time this series, though, his shot selection was terrible. He rushed a couple of shots unnecessarily. He also missed a couple he normally makes, but that's true of everyone.

Ben, Sheed, and Dice were a combined 5-8 from the line. Prince was 5-5, not unusual, but slightly above what's expected. I guess that's not much, but it's much less surprising than Haslem (an 85% shooter) going 0-3, or Payton 0-2, and Wade 1-3.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That's fair.

Tayshaun scored 29 points and had 7 boards. You're really having a hard time giving our best playoff performer any credit for turning in star performances.

I seem to remember Ben letting Shaq get his, and steal and block on the Diesel when the opportunity came. Ben abused Shaq.

I read your posts on other boards including this one. I saw your vote at WTF as the lone guy picking a loss. I think you should just have a drink, sit back and enjoy the ride however long it lasts. You don't seem to have much faith or happiness even when we get back to playing some Detroit basketball.
  9. roscoe36

Re: great game

Careful bball jay, you're starting to sound like a Ben fan. :P ;)
  10. max

max All-Star

The Palace was rocking. Loudest of the year to date. Even fans in the smoking area were hyped up.

If Flip is right about his 1 play theory then we found it tonight when Ben sent the Giant to the floor on a clean block.

You guys saw the rest of the game I am sure? Great win. Now for the 1st time in this series the Heat are under pressure. They have been pretty loose after skating out to that game 1 victory.

Yep - the old Pistons definetly showed up tonight. I know some guys were shooting cold but the overall team effert was there and Dyess/Hunter played great off the bench.
  11. roscoe36

Who cares about details. We all mourned yesterday. Today, we'll take another day on life support and hope/pray for more fortune on Friday.

The message has been sent. The Heat do not want to come to the Palace for a Game 7. They must win Game 6.

GO PISTONS.
  12. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Great win that gives me real hope for game 6. The Pistons played with a lot of hustle and energy. Tay had the kind of game that Wade has had in Miami. Ben had one of his best overall games in the playoffs. Chauncey was perfect at the line, and Dice made a huge contribution. On the down side, the ball movement suffered at times in the second half and Rip was still forcing shots that weren't there. And things got a little too close for comfort just before Tay's clutch three late in the fourth.
  13. anakin

Ben, making some FT's, is like a blind squirrel finding a nut. He only made 1-2. The Heat FT's shooting backed up under pressure. It won't get easier in Game 6. Wade scares me. That guy is in a zone with his shooting and all his shots seem to fall in. He is the key to Game 6.
  14. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

+ Tay was stellar
    + Ben was great
    + Dice played out of his mind
    + Rip's aggressiveness
    + Lindsay in the first half
    + Drove the lane in the first half
    + Chauncey hit his FT
    + Guard rebounding
    + Determination and energy
    + Free throws
    + Lockdown on Wade/Shaq, making roleplayers (try to) beat them

- Chauncey's shooting and decision making
    - Sheed, everything about him. F U Sheed
    - Sheed 41 minutes 7 pts, Dice 19 minutes 12 pts
    - Players fell down a lot
    - Rip getting abused with no calls
    - Rip's passing
    - No driving the lane in the 2nd half
    - Lindsay in the 2nd half
    - Sticking players with the ball with 1-2 seconds on shotclock

Why or how Sheed played twice as much as Dice I have no idea. Dice earned 28+ minutes for friday, give it to him Flip.

This looks a bit more like the team from the past 2 years. It wasn't the team we saw the last 9 games, and it wasn't the team from the 88 before that.
  15. roscoe36

Two way street SKLuck. Dice has sucked for the last 2 games. Based on that, he should not have been allowed to play tonight.

Somewhere in there, you're missing 2 blocks and a foul from Sheed. He was also not in foul trouble which helped the team manage the rotation without having to force Dice into playing due to necessity.

I realize folks get frustrated by Sheed, but if you're watching him move, something simply ain't right, and I don't see him not caring if they win.

I still think he's trade bait for the right deal, but if this is his bad game, I'll take it.
  16. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Re: great game

yeah. that block was great. i had to give credit where credit was due. ben played great this game. even hit a free throw. :nod: if he keeps doing that i won't be calling for the sign and trade at the end of the season anymore.
  17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Skluck, that's an astute observation on Sheed vs Dice... if Sheed is really having this kind of problems with his ankles... then why not exchange roles.
    I'm all for Dice geting the Lions share at PF in game 6.... Haslem doesn't bother him.
    For get the pride get the W
  18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

the ONLY thing I didn't like was Rip arguing with the Ref's while the heat went the other way for a bucket. That's Complete BS. Otherwise, I didn't think they would play the way they did because every time I get to watch, they play lame. I was going to play the superstitious card and not watch the game but I'm glad I could.

I really like Lindsey. Some people are born with greatness other have greatness picked out of their hands by number 10.

my last thought was that stat that the pistons are 11-2 in elimination games. well...to me that means this team underachieves WAY too often. Bring your A game and we'll be alright. :fingerscr
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Sorry I missed most of the game, had to close a client tonight and meet some month end production. This new thing of being self employed has me making some tough sacrifices. I only saw the last 6 mins of the game.

Couldn't tell what was going on. Seems like Tay is already earning next seasons contract. I also saw some DAMM GOOD defensive rotations in the last mins of the game. Trap on wade in the corner, Rip rotated to Shaq to at least prevent the lob, Tay rotating out on Wade to make him at least take a circus shot, and he missed.....hallelujah. I saw this team do some of the little things that win you 'ships.

The best thing about all of this tonight........We finally won a close fourth quarter game, while it didn't seem like the offense was stellar the defense got stops and I applaud that. Also as painfu as it was, it was a good move to take Ben out of the game:doh: . Hate to admit it but it was a DARN GOOD MOVE by Flip.
  20. Pistonchickforever

Pistonchickforever First Round Draft Pick

I just saw Shaq on ESPN whining about the great Ben block....claiming it was a foul. He sounded like his mother just died in a tragic car accident. How funny is that??? :laugh:

GO PISTONS!!!! They have finally emerged!!!

:nod:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.