Round 3 Game 5 ... Heat @ Pistons

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

So prof, you never told us...did you have a nice time at the game? :laugh:

It's way cool to see these guys in real life isn't it? Especially in a late round playoff battle. I'm glad that the experience worked out so well for you. :thumb:
  2. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Agree with your description of Sheed as a "very skilled role player," and would expand your point to say that a 16 point, 8 rebound game (including one or two clutch threes that demoralize the opposition) -- along with aggressive and loud defense (but without foul trouble) -- represent Sheed at his best.
  3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Kgreg, I never bought into that experiment with Rip. I remember the Indiana first half last year where we scored 28 points and Rip drove and drove and drove-- for nothing into the teeth of the defense. Rip is the best mid-range shooter in the game. But he is not good at one on one and his passes near the hoop often lead to turnovers in the playoffs where defenses are tighter. Rip needs to pull up and take that J more--that is his thing. Teams now try and stop Rip's first look on the curl but the shot is still there a moment later. But Rip goes too far in or all the way in. Look at his recent shooting percentages. We don't run the curl enough for Rip--I agree--it is a weapon. But it is high percentage only when Rip takes the j more than the drive.

Tay should get the ball just inside the arc and let him survey the floor. They do not want him to back down one on one so that puts pressure on their defense. If Tay has the ball dribbling past mid-court, they are also pressured because they are afraid of Tay's open drives to the hoop. They are not afraid of Rip or Chauncey driving to the hoop as they are of Tay. Riley himself said he would rather see Chauncey drive than pull up--he worries when he pulls up.
  4. Darth Tater

I missed it because I was at work. Is there some video highlight available that anyone knows of?
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

There is some bad YouTube video available. You can find the link at DetroitBadBoys.

I will get video up in a couple hours when I am home. Still tied up with work.
  6. Darth Tater

Great. Thanks, Micro.
  7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great post professor! I've never been to a game either, but part of me now feels like I have!
  8. professorspawn

professorspawn Second Round Draft Pick

donning my 'Sheed jersey, may I just say that I am quite proud to have been there in spirit...and/or just lookin mighty fly.

this story, heard thousands of times now, doesn't get old.

yay for you, werewolf!
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

since everyone else has this pretty much covered, i'll touch on the only thing that hasn't. i dunno if the players were watching but it inspired me at least. normally for the pistons intros, the lights shut off, you hear a noise like the one from A Current Affair back in the day, the players all say 'It's time Detroit...it's time Detroit, it's time Detroit...let's go to work.'

It was different this game though. The lights went off, it got real quiet, and the screen on the jumbotron stayed black too. White letters in a small section of the screen faded into view, and it said "WHAT IS IMPOSSIBLE?" Then in one corner it would show our most significant highlights while asking another question in the other corner, with the remaining two corners black. For instance, in the bottom-left it showed Tayshaun's block on Reggie while in the upper-right, answering the question of what is impossible, it said "Is it winning when no one gives you a chance?" repeated with similar questions like "Is it defying all odds when all else seems lost?"

Then at the very end, again a black screen with white letters fading into a small section on the right side of the screen simply with the word "IMPOSSIBLE", then a few seconds later text fades into the left side of the screen, and it completes the phrase "NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE"

It's hard to describe just how sweet this was, but somehow it captured the feeling the importance and significance of the game while simultaneously bringing back the memories of the past 4 years of resolve and 11-2 in elimination games (19-2 if you combine elimination + close-out games) and inspiring you to believe 100% that the Pistons would win the game. It was awesome.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's too bad you didn't take any pictures. :frusty:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.