Rudy Gay Trade?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Why not? Let's see how many ball-hogging, poor eFG shooters the team can pile up.
    The Panda likes this.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Joe is always anticipating trends in NBA rules. He may have knowledge that they are about to make the basket bigger.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Too soon dude........too soon.
    The Panda, roscoe36 and BallDon'tLie like this.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You do know Jennings was arguably the best player on a playoff team last year, right?
    mikhail1973 likes this.
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

BJ's playoff stats:
    13 pts, 2 reb, 4 ast, 29% FGP

...like you said: "arguably"
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He was facing the Heat, so not unexpected. I'm not sure how Knight would have done, but it probably wouldn't have been pretty.
  7. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

He was the second-highest scoring player on a team that finished under .500 and snuck into the playoffs because the conference is terrible.

He was 7th on the team in PER and 8th in ws/48.
    He was 10th in eFG%, 16th in reb%, 7th in O-Rating, 15th in D-Rating.
    In terms of effect on the team, he was the WORST player on a team that should have had a higher seed. His team's net production was -4.1 with him on the court and +7.3 with him off the court. Everyone talks about how he was the only guy that was any good, but he played with Larry Sanders - who's already one of the best defensive big men in the league - Ellis - who had stats that were just as ugly but still had a positive effect on his team - and Ilyasova - who's one of the most underrated bigs in the league.

He wasn't liked. He pouted and ball-hogged. He COULD be a great player, but got caught assuming that he already WAS a great player. He has a ways to go.

Like many have said - he's still young. He's better right now than Knight. He'll be mentored by Billups and Cheeks, and hopefully he realizes that his game needs to change if he wants to be a premier player and get a big contract in three years. He clearly overvalued himself, and maybe that will be the humbling experience he needs. I hope all that is true, because the Pistons need him to be good. With Monroe and Smith on the team, they need him taking good shots. They need him to run the offense. They need his outside shooting (and he can shoot it from the outside). They need him to play up-tempo, non-isolation basketball. Unless they really suck (unlikely), they don't get a first round pick this year - this is the nucleus they have, and it has to work. I hope it does. But that pessimistic side is rearing its head, and I know it's not going to be easy.
  8. roscoe36

Sorry guys, I simply don't have time or the energy to engage in being even a little negative. We're months from any game that means anything, and I am determined to enjoy the summer but more importantly this offseason, the best offseason in a decade for the Pistons.
    Susie914, mikhail1973, Walter and 2 others like this.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Knight and Jennings were pretty similar in that their advanced stats were much worse than their basic stats.

It's unclear to me whether Jennings' better offensive skills and worse defensive skills are an upgrade or a downgrade from Knight.

For instance:

Knight
    PER 12.4
    Opponent PER 11.2
    Net + 1.2 difference

Jennings
    PER 16.0
    Opponent PER 16.7
    Net -0.7 difference

I'm certainly not going to rely on this as definitive, but it is an indication of how Knight may be just as effective without the offensive flash.

Nobody really knows. Each side was willing to make the trade for different reasons. I don't think either side is stupid. Both contracts are reasonable. It may work out for both, neither, or it may turn out to be a lobsided folly.

I'm pretty indifferent to it. The team seems slightly more exciting to watch with Jennings. Hopefully his defensive weakness will be minimized by the ridiculously good defensive front court.
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

I guess they will have to play the games before we will really know!
    roscoe36 likes this.
  11. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

If I were to take on an overpaid wing, it would be Eric Gordon, not Gay. The Only question about Gordon is his health. If you think that he can be healthy, then throw out a low-ball offer.

Suckey, JJ, and a couple of 2nd rounders?

Anyone?

Bueller?
  12. roscoe36

When healthy, I am a big Eric Gordon fan. Dude can put the ball in the hoop.
  13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I hope you get to feeling better again soon so you can root for your man Eric
    Gordon.
    Get well soon bro.
  14. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I think with the good cast of players we have now, all future steps need to be positively forwards towards that next title.

Gay is a diagonal step. He will give the illusion of taking us in that direction but will ultimately fail.
  15. roscoe36

When I walked away, I thought, I should reword that.

Then I remembered that I was going to make a cheesy omelette and that took priority.
  16. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

We know Jennings is turrible at defense. But I read somewhere his advanced offense is pretty much on par with Jrue Holiday. If we had gotten Jrue, would everyone be complaining?
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think that everyone is complaining with this one. Seems like a small fraction of analysts think that it was a move backwards. Some criticism that it was a lateral move and partially restricts our FA money next year. Some worries about Jenning's attitude, which is legit since he unofficially demanded out of a situation where he wasn't getting along with his employer.

Most fans seem mildly happy to indifferent from my perspective.
  18. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Dude. First of all. This isn't baseball. Cool it with the stats. This is still a game with ebs, flows and circumstances where you need to actually watch someone play a lot of games before you can say what he is, isn't, could or could not be.

...I've seen Knight play a lot of games. I've seen Jennings play a half-dozen games. I don't care what the stats say. I'm fully aware of the fact that, while he needs some serious coaching, Jennings is far superior to Knight in talent; and we got a steal in that more or less straight up swap.

Second of all. New rule in this thread. If you're going to shoot down a Rudy Gay or Eric Gordon proposal...explain why...AND propose your better alternative.
    mikhail1973 likes this.
  19. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

C: G. Monroe(12min), A. Drummond(36min)
    PF: J. Smith(24min), G. Monroe(24min)
    SF: R. Gay(36min), J. Smith(12min)
    SG: K. C-Pope(20min), K. Singler(20min), C. Billups(8min)
    PG: B. Jennings(36min), C. Billups(12min)

L. Datome, J. Jerebko, T. Mitchell, W. Bynum - ?? min

That's a heck of a freaking team if we could put it together. Half-way decent coaching and I think it'd be hard not to get to the Heat in the EC. Something crazy happens, hell, who knows what more? Foundation for the future? - most definitely.
  20. roscoe36

[​IMG]
    webz likes this.