Rumor: Boozer says he's signing with Detroit or New Jersey

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, May 31, 2009.

1. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

I'm really starting to dislike Boozer by the second, he hasn't done anything major (except saying he will opt out) this season for him to get a nice paying contract.

This guy is purely about the money and only that. He doesn't care where he goes as long as he's getting paid and even then, AND he still doesn't do much on defense.

I wished Joe would go back to the hungry veterans route, the only reason Boozer is linked to Detroit is because he's apparently the "best" FA.

He better not play hardball to get a nice paying contract, because there are several teams would need to shred salary, and are more then likely the talent is younger then Boozer.

2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I agree. They are very much compatible and I don't know why people think we couldn't sign both of them. If we are indeed to have 30+ Mil under the cap to spend, there's no way in hell we couldn't get both of those guys. People screamed bloody murder at the speculation of paying Ben 15 Mil and didn't want to give him the 12 he was offered (because he wasn't a scorer). So, there's no way both of those guys will command the max and you can't convince me that we couldn't somehow split 30 Mil between those two guys (EVEN IF in some strange turn of events, they both got 15 Mil).

It would give us a great banger/finesse combo and they would work very well together...and Boozer can very easily stay healthy...it's not like he's Agent 0 (who many of you would take in a heartbeat) or Mashburn.

3. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

I would be high on a Boozer signing, and I don't buy some of the arguements opposing it.

The money thing doesn't bother me at all. To me, wanting to be paid and wanting to win are mutually exclusive. I don't see any of the league's stars and superstars really taking lower salaries to stay with winning teams. Even the most competetive guys like KG, Wade, James, Bryant, etc. just take the max when offered. From time to time you hear tier 2 guys say that they will take less money (Memo comes to mind recently), but it usually doesn't end up happening, especially in a buyers market like this. Paying for guys and guys wanting to get paid is just part of sports.

I also think that there is this assumption that we will have to tremendously overpay to get him here. I don't believe this is the case, and I don't believe that Carlos will get the money that he thinks he is worth, especially with only a couple of suitors. Joe has also shown that he isn't really interested in overpaying for guys, so he will show some restraint since there are plenty of opportunities out there to improve the team.

The defensive arguement I kind of buy, but to me great defense is an organization commitment. I didn't think any of the Celtics (aside from KG) were great defenders, but look at how good they were last year on defense. It all comes from willing to come together as a team and be coached to win. Is Boozer willing? Don't know; but it's worth the risk. Do we have the coaching? Not yet, but that is another matter to be addressed.

Sign Boozer!

4. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That presents another problem. Do you want a guy who is unapologetically focused on the money in a situation where he feels like he didn't get what he was worth?

I don't mind the guy's game, but that Cleveland move was pretty revealing IMO.

6. bmill

bmill First Round Draft Pick

when i click on the link, all i get is trade machine before you punch in any trade.

7. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

I second that

8. Blue

Ideally you would want a guy at his level of production that values winning above all else including salary. Those guys are tough to find though, since guys at his level expect to be paid. Also, I have never seen (disclaimer, since I haven't extensively follow his career) a time where Boozer was out there loafing because he didn't think his contract wasn't high enough.

So admittedly I had to look up the details of this Cleveland deal, because I don't really remember how it went down. Per Wikipedoa, the Cavs had an option to keep him under a rookie contract or become a restricted free agent and sign him long term. They went with the RFA option to get him to sign a $39 million contract. Cavs say he committed to the contract prior, he says he didn't. After they make him a FA, Utah swoops in with $70 million and the Cavs can't match, so he goes to Utah.

So if he did give his word, yeah that's a pretty bogus move. This is a pretty atypical situation though. Utah came in with an extra $31 million. That's a lot of money! Even for an NBA player. How often does someone tender an offer to an RFA that high above their qualifying offer? I think you would have seen a lot of NBA guys do the same thing if they were in his shoes for that amount of money, including guys that you might not expect to do that.

9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

After the trade is successful, you need to click "Save Trade" and that'll reveal a hyperlink that reads "Share your trade". That link will let us see what you're proposing.

10. Walter

I think the real reason he left Cleveland was because he refused to have the phrase "Chosen 2" tattoed to his back.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It was without a doubt the biggest reneg in NBA history. And he definitely did it. There is no way that Cleveland would have done what they did without a verbal committment from him. They let him out of his low priced contract and granted him free agency early because 1) it allowed him to get paid more immediately, and 2) in exchange, he would agree to stay with them for longer. This is not the kind of transaction you do with a good player if they don't swear on their mama's grave that they will uphold their end of the bargain.

I really don't care how much more he was offered from another team, b/c he wouldn't have been eligible for that if Cleveland hadn't done him the favor first.

When confronted with Money vs. reputation, he chose money. That is all that I need to know. With us, it could manifest into any number of things; stats over winning bball, lack of connection to his co-workers, being on the DL longer than necessary in order to protect his future value, lack of effort in the post season in order to get an early vacation, you name it.

You gotta know that he's a gamble. Maybe it would work out, but all I'm saying is that incident was a very bad glimpse into his soul.

12. Walter

Everything you say is true. I guess everybody has a price, and that price is $31 million for Boozer. I'm not a big Boozer fan, but I still wonder if he would've left if the Utah offer was only 5-6 million more.

13. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I think that Boozer and Curry would get along fine.

14. Delfino Delivers

15. Delfino Delivers

Here is the above combined into one deal. Not sure if it makes us any better unless we can add Bosh some how?

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It is illegal (at least under NBA rules) to have a prearranged agreement with a team like Cleveland claims it had. They were trying to get around the rules and claim it wasn't illegal, but to have a prearranged agreement like that is not okay, and players and teams have been penalized in the past for doing so. (think Danny Ainge, Joe Smith, the Heat and Juwan Howard, etc.) How the heck did an NBA team get such amazing PR when this happened, anyway? Because the GM is a blind guy? NBA teams routinely make promises to players and then renege on them when it is in their best interests. The Cavs showed themselves to be the crybabies they are when this played out in the media back then. And the fans got duped into thinking that Boozer was a "bad man" or something. A verbal agreement? You're joking, right? If you had someone offer you $30 million dollars more than you are making to come work for them, and you had a "verbal commitment" with your boss that you were going to stay at your old job, how long would it take for you to get some common sense and act in your and your family's best interest and take the $30 mil? That's not dishonest, it's business, and it's expected. That's why the NBA has contracts, to prevent players from just picking up and leaving for more money elsewhere.

17. bmill

bmill First Round Draft Pick

The Battier one, ehh. But I wouldn't mine the Boozer one if we were going after Ben Gordon, plus we'd dump Maxiell's contract.

18. Blue

Just went back and re-read the article a little bit closer. It appears that Peter Vescey is the one reporting that Det and NJ are the two teams in the running. Vescey has been known to be really unreliable with the quality of his information, so who knows if the Pistons are even persuing him.

19. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

20. Walter

Good trade for us, the Jazz and the Wizards. I don't see any incentive for Houston to go along with that trade though.