Rumor: Boozer says he's signing with Detroit or New Jersey

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, May 31, 2009.

1. StanFromTheD

StanFromTheD Second Round Draft Pick

.....and why are many of you questioning Boozer's character? It was a great business move. A 30 million dollar raise should be applauded. Character? Let us not forget about Rasheed Wallace. Outside of The Worm and Artest, he has to be the most contraversial figure that the NBA has ever seen. We would not have gotten to 2 NBA finals and 6 straight ECFs without his "character" and more importantly his skill. I will take Boozer's 20-10 anyday. Lebron James has just showed a major character flaw by walking off the court like a sore looser. But I bet that will not stop teams from offering him a max contract next summer. I'd take that sore loser and most of you would to.​

2. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

The big thing for me with this Boozer deal is that it's in the past. If we are looking at making Boozer a Piston now, the questions is will the past come back to haunt us in the future?

We won't ever see him be a restricted FA again, but I think fans are wondering if the guy will become dissatisfied if we sign him to a lower deal and let it affect his play as a result.

Once he got to Utah, I thought he helped to make that team relevant and considered an outside contender. I saw in the news that Sloan and Kirilenko had some problems, but I didn't see any story where Sloan or his teammates had problems with Boozer. The only stories I saw were that he was going to opt out because he thought he could get a higher contract than what Utah was paying him.

I'm sure that I don't have the whole story though, since I don't really follow Boozer or the Jazz all that much. Can anyone present evidence?

3. Blue

I think the big thing with that team is that it does not make us better than Clevland, Boston (when healthy), or Orlando, so a second round exit sounds about right. It might help us keep up with teams like Miami, Atlanta, and Washington (who will be better next year) though, so we could possible fight for a 4th or 5th seed and advance to the second round.

Boozer is being discussed, and I think the Birdman is a nice energy and helpside guy, but I'm not so sure about his on-the-ball defense and post D. He is thriving in the role that Denver has him in, but increasing his resonsibility to a 30ish mpg starting center might be too big of a jump right now.

4. StanFromTheD

Blue:
    I agree with a you when you say "we could possible fight for a 4th or 5th seed and advance to the second round". But where the Birdman is concerned: I will say that the pistons proved with Ben wallace that you can be successful with an energy guy at center. Lets face it, the center position is dying and there are really only 3 dominant centers left. Shaq, Yao, and Dwight Howard. I think we could get by with the birdman.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, it probably will.

Here is a bleacher report article by a Utah fan to give you a feel for the kind of problems that we might be in store for:

Sure he plans to stay with them. Sounds like another one of his non-binding verbal manipulations.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons might as well start Amir Johnson at C if they're going to go with Chris Anderson.

7. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I believe Birdman had Erik Dampier syndrome this year knowing he was going into FA in a shallow crop of quality post defenders. Plus energy guys like that *cough* Jason Maxiel *cough* are only good for a max of 20 minutes a game, there is no way Birdman could go 30+. Specially after getting fat paid, AND living in the Dirty D. Relapse baby, relapse.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that we already tried that and it resulted in too many W's.

9. StanFromTheD

In no way am I saying that Chris Anderson is a long term solution. He is ultimately a good bench player. But I do think that he could buy us a year starting while we are pursuing Bosh. His shotblocking abilities makes him an intimidator. We haven't had that since Ben Wallace. I would also be concerned about him getting in foul trouble. Hitafreethrow, lets hope he doesn't relapse in more ways than one. Boozer would give us a legitamate low post (20-10) threat. We haven't had that since who? Bob Lanier? They both fill major needs.

10. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sheed is as much of a 20-10 threat as Boozer is (at least 2004 to 2007) and how many 20-10 games did we actually see? I'm not anti-Boozer, but I'm not pro-pay him whatever it takes. I agree with Scoe, he's not worth over 7-8 IF that.

11. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

I'd be willing to bet that he had MANY more 20-10 gmaes than Sheed did. Being a 20-10 threat and actually doing it are two different things. I think Boozer is incosistnat and injury prone but he's worth more than 7-8 per.

12. StanFromTheD

Carlos Boozer, Forward-Center, Jazz, NBA - FOX Sports on MSN

Boozer's Playoff stats. A solid 20-13 against the lakers. At 27yrs old he could have 4-5 more similar years. He will command a Max contract because he is the biggest free agent this summer. Any team that want's him now will have to pay.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He only played in 5 playoff games this year, so it is a pretty small sample size. He scored plenty of points and got plenty of rebounds.

The negatives are that he had 15 turnovers, only 2 blocked shots, and 18 fouls.

Also, he has missed 134 games due to injury during his tenure in Utah. Last season, he missed 45 games.

His career eFG% in the playoffs is .496 compared to Sheed's .490.

Booz takes 53% of his shots as jump shots and shoots .387 on those.
    He takes 47% of his shots in the paint and gets blocked on 15% of those attempts. Overall regular season eFG is .490.

For comparison, Maxiell shoots .349 on his jump shots (but doesn't take as many) and gets blocked on 12% of his attempts in the paint. Overall regular season eFG is .575.

14. StanFromTheD

I said before that I think that Ernie Kandar would help with those nagging injuries. And I also said that I would pair him with a shot blocker (i.e.) Birdman. eFG% sounds like a useless statistic. 20-13 means that your big man is playing BIG. For you to compare Maxiell's and Sheed's eFG to Boozer's shows how useless this stat is. Those 2 combined are not as productive as Boozer is now. I don't think that Boozer is anything close to a savior but he is the best available option.

15. StanFromTheD

16. Blue

While I agree that eFG is a very useful stat for determining offensive efficiency, how well do we think it scales?

Maxiell attempted 320 FG's over 78 games last year, or 4.1 attempts per game.

Boozer attempted 512 FG's over 37 games last year, or 13.8 attempts per game.

Since Boozer is the focal point of the offense and takes a lot of shots, he probably sees a lot of the defense as well.

Those numbers aren't that impressive though.

17. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

That implies that he already had the Utah offer before he agreed to the deal with Cleveland. Which implies Utah execs have foreseen this and came with the offer even beforehand. Quite expertly crafted conspiracy methinks.

Could it be that Boozer had every intention of signing with the Cavs, but when an unexpected amount of money came from Utah he just couldn't say no?

Just to share a personal experience here. I used to be a contract employee working for a large corporation - let's call it ABC. My contract had an option to hire clause. When the contract term was up, there was going to be an offer from ABC. Before the offer came, the contract company called me in and said they'd like to keep me and would be happy if I rejected ABC's offer and instead stayed with them to go on a different contract. Even the CEO came down to talk to me and told me that he sees me becoming a lead engineer going forward (no, I wasn't that special, the company was kinda small :)). That really impressed the 26 year old boy me, just 2 years out of college. I told them that I liked what I was hearing and even though I'd need to hear the offer from ABC first, I was inclined to stay put. Then ABC's offer came for a $50,000 salary with paid vacation. The contract company was paying me $36,000 with no vacation. It took me all of about 1.8 seconds to take the cash. You could make the case that I had made a verbal commitment to the contract house and I am a despicable and dishonest human being for not honoring my word. But you know what, I never expected to receive such a jump in salary and I wouldn't be where I am today if I had decided to stay with that contract house.

I'm not a Boozer fan, but I don't believe him to be this scheming, horrible person either.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They didn't release you from a previously agreed upon contract that was unfavorable to you though. You could have left and taken the other company's offer without any discussions with the company you were working for. Boozer couldn't have done that. He needed to do a bait and switch by fooling Gund.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ben Wallace worked out very well.

I'm agreeing that Birdman is effective, just pointing out that we already have a guy who is very similar to him that everybody criticizing for doing the same things that Birdman does (leaves his feet, fouls a lot, has no offensive polish, etc.). We have green grass on our side of the fence too.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Since Boozer shoots no 3-pointers, eFG% just equals FG%. About the only statistic more useful than that is final score.