Rumor: Boozer says he's signing with Detroit or New Jersey

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, May 31, 2009.

1. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Are we defending Cleveland for being a naive and stupid organization, now? Hell, what Brand did was worse than what Boozer did.

Go get the a-hole, Joe. No offense to Millsap or anybody else, but we need the talent here. Maybe his defense will benefit from not having a sloth as center.

(oh yeah, we need one of those as well)
  2. StanFromTheD

StanFromTheD Second Round Draft Pick

I agree that the Birdman has a similar skillset to that of Amir Johnson's.
    I think that he is more hungry than Amir because he had been suspended for 2 yrs.
    Also it should have "clicked" for Amir by now. He played behind and along side of Sheed and Dyess for 3years now and still has not mastered the concept of a post move or team defense. I blame all of his defiencies on Sheed. He made Zack Randolf better. He made Jermaine Oneal into an ALL Star. Why couldn't he do the same for Amir?
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Why not Milsap?
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That is still fraud. He doesn't need to have the Utah deal lined up first.

It's basic contract. He made a verbal deal to get out of his contract on the condition he would re-sign with Cleveland.

He violated that verbal contract.

That is fraud.

It's really cut and dried.
  5. StanFromTheD

I read somewhere that the Jazz are committing to sign Milsap over Boozer. And the want to keep Okur so Boozer is probably the odd man out.

Verbal contracts are not permitted in the NBA. So the Cavs are just as wrong as Boozer is.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is a very good description with more details.

Also, just for clarification, where exactly does the CBA ban teams from striking deals with players like the one Gund tried to do? Curious how it works, because he didn't seem to be trying to hide the verbal deal at all after the fact and the entire transaction would have been very obvious anyways.
  7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Wow, never knew it went down that way. That sure stinks.
  8. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

This isn't aimed at anyone specific, so please don't take offense if you think it's you.

However, that being said, I find it ironic and somewhat amusing that there's a cheering section to bring in Ron Artest, a guy who mauled fans at The Palace like a wild animal. Yet, to bring in a guy who had a somewhat questionable contract negotiation is out of the question for many.

I'm sure enough of you have heard it on the podcast 100 times. I just don't think you can build a winner by only having "good guys" or guys you like or guys who don't have any character flaws. I don't think the world works that way.

I think Boozer would be an upgrade for us and his talent definitely brings us something we sorely need...inside scoring. I'm not really concerned with his character and over the life of his career, if that's the worst that can be said about him...I'll take it.
  9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

If Artest, Boozer and Ben freaking Gordon are the "prized" FAs of the '09 class, the best thing to do is to do nothing at all.

Make a few trades.
    Sign some scrubs and see who sticks.
    ...basically TANK the 2009/2010 season.

Lottery pick next year.
    Some new players already in place.
    Cap room to sign any 2010 FA who will return a phone call.

Championship in 2012!
  10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Let's say we do go out and sign Boozer.

We know about his failure to honor his promise in Cleveland. We know his reputation for lack of defensive effort. We know his propensity for injury. We know he'll be a 20 and 10 guy too.

There shouldn't be any surprises.
  11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

True. We know he is a huge risk based on these factors. So don't sign him.

But I'm from the old school. I place honor, integrity, and sportsmanship at a premium. I'd make a lousy GM in today's NBA.
  12. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Not exatcly, a lot of great NBA players posses those traits.
  13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Not a Boozer fan at all, but he's definitely more of a 20-10 threat than Sheed is now or has been for years.

The last two years he was healthy, Boozer averaged 20-10 (a little better than that actually). Sheed has never averaged 20 points or 10 rebounds in a single season (let alone both in the same year) and is a career 15 & 7.

I think you were being a bit disingenuous there.
  14. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I could never, ever, root for boozer. If he signs with Detroit, he'll get his stats, I doubt we'll get our wins. I'd rather have Artest. And for the money boozer wants, I'd rather have two mle's. We need bodies.

Heck, Darko will give you 13 and 10 per 40 for only 7 mil. And considering he gets so few touches on O, his scoring is a lot more efficient.
  15. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

This thread has entirely too much negetive Sheed vibe for me. I can't read any more.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with you. Signing Artest would probably be a bad decision as well. Going into the stands and punching a fan in the face should probably get you a lifetime ban from the NBA, and it should for sure get you blacklisted from signing on with that team.
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Thank you. That's what i remembered reading.

And for the record i am and have always been against getting Artest. I'm not against acquiring Boozer b/c of his "issues", but i am against going after him ala Rashard Lewis/ORL.
  18. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

I´ill do that...
    Sign Misslap,Boozer,Gordon,Gortart os Sessions for the righ price or not deal...If Joe sign for Gordon for 8,5 mill seasson,Boozer 10,5,Misslap 9 go ahead,Gortart 4,5 or Sessions 6 millions Go ahead¡¡¡¡
    deal to have 2010 first round picks and pick a SF or Mullens to develope playing minutes this seasson.
    Regular Seasson of 30 wins 52 losses...lottery pick.
    Give minutes Amir and mullens in early seasson,and after trade Amir contract for first round pick.
    Really develope Mullens or (young small forward) and give 20-25 min game Jason Maxiel and Affalo.

Sessions/Stuck/Bynum(trade valuable Bynum if ge get sessions)
    Gordon(or Rip)/ Affalo
    T.Prince/15 first round pick?/Sharpe
    Boozer/Maxi
    Gortart/Amir/Mullens?

In 2010:
    - we could have some of these FA in rigth price in pistons contract books, salary cap(if boozer,gordon demand expensive contract we keep intact our salary cap)
    -Very good draft picks
    -Money available for free agents
    -A new and better coach if Curry can´t make better 2009/2010 seasson.
    -Our young players would be better(Stuck,Affalo,maxi and 15 first round pick will be better having a lot of minutes).
    -T.Prince contract expires 2011 seasson,we can take a good return or wait he clear books to sing one young blazer player.
  19. StanFromTheD

Totally agree with your 4 points. There you gave 3 negatives and 1 positive. But let me try and even this argument up with one name: ARNIE KANDER Pistons put their faith in innovative trainer's abilities - NBA - ESPN

from the preceding article: When Grant Hill decided he didn't want to stay in Detroit six years ago, leading to a sign-and-trade deal with Orlando, he tried to hire Kander away to work with him exclusively.

The pistons successful run of late can be contributed to there substained health. For the better part of 6 years they have been the most healthy team in the nba. Of course they have had nagging injuries along the way. But nothing serious or season-ending. Only last year did this team show signs of deteriorating health. Arnie is the biggest reason. Whenever a new FA or traded player is aquired, the first thing they do is "go see Arnie" Arnie along with Mike Abdenour are the best in the business. Corliss Williamson was on his last leg and on his way out of the league before he signed with the pistons. Arnie added the explosiveness back to Big Nasty's game. If the pistons pursue and work Boozer out, he won't be signed if there is a serious issue. So now can we fairly say that we have 2 negatives along with 2 positives? I will take a healthy 20-10 any day.
  20. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I think we're all kidding ourselves here. We'll continue to sign some mid range players who will help us to a .500 season for the next umpteen years. The star who will take us over the top is unfortunately...STILL IN 7th GRADE...:stirthepot: