RUMOR: Eric Dampier for Rip Hamilton

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 9, 2009.

1. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

In the light of economy, yes, but Dumars was not hired for economic forecasts or had no idea, who could join with Pistons in 2009 summer.
  2. linwood

linwood All-Star

Adonal Foyle?
  3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Adonal Foyle and Erick Dampier.

The Benoit Benjamin and Olden Polynice of a new millennium.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Oh no you DIDN'T!
    You BETTER take back that "dis" regarding OP!!!
  5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

they were like two drunk elephants fighting in porcelain store.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I remember watching a Pistons game against the Bucks several years ago where George Blaha offered this little nugget of legendary play-by-play commentary:

He said it so calmly and matter-of-fact.
    Absolutely priceless!
  7. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

I totally agree Ros I think we should trade Rip for Dampier's expiring contract so that it will enable us to go after one of the big free agents next summer. That contract along with Kwame will put us some 15-16 million under the cap which will seem like 20 million when the cap comes down to around 50 million. I would easily trade one season of mediocrity for several years with an abundance of talent. Also I would trade Afflalo to Denver to clear capspace to sign Big Baby who has proven to me a fantastic big off the bench with a good skillset which is what we really need at this point.

Capspace is of utmost importance to contend in the future. In my opinion we have to look at the big picture folks. Not just next year but 2010 and beyond. Get it done Joe please.
  8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, good post Roscoe. That makes a lot of sense.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Which BIG Free agent are we all pining for??

If Turkyglu makes a difference next season and the rapts pick up 10 more victories, I think Bosh stays in Canada

I don't think Wade, Lebron, Melo or Joe Johnson agrees to sign in Motown next summer unless the 09/10 team makes a promising splash in the post season. Just because the UCONN tandem sign with Joe this season does not mean any one else will.

So who is the Big FA do you all think we can get? or does this question need or already have its own thread?
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just think how dominant we'd be in the FA market next year if we didn't sign anybody this year and then traded Rip for Damp.
  11. explosivity

I understand what you are saying but what you are stating is based on alot of assumptions. You are assuming first that the Raptors will be much improved with Turkeyglu in which they do not have a Dwight Howard drawing an automatic double-team. The second assumption you are making is that none of those free agents will be willng to come over here when they see the promise our young stars WILL have. The one thing we have in our favor is that we are young and the upside with Stuck, BG, and Villenueva is tremendous. In my opinion it is much more beneficial to have capspace in 2010 as oppose to getting a second rate player right now being stuck with him and hoping for the best. You can rest assure that Joe D is probably thinking the same thing my man. I say that in that knowing he is trying to get a good player with an expiring contract but will settle for a mediocre for caproom.
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The problem is, we needed to carry at least 13 men and $40 odd million to meet the minimum roster and salary levels.

Plus we don't have fans who are willing to wait a year to make noise. Everyone wants us to get guys to compete this year, when I think it is pretty obvious we're not going to be super competitive this year. Fun to watch? Fo Sho.
  13. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

That's always an excellent point. I'm not sure if fans in general realize how many of those players are going to end up staying with their team.

Let's all keep in mind that it's not just free agents a move like this puts us in the running for.

Every team at or over the hard cap will be looking at an extra $7-8 million dollars in luxury tax next year. They're going to be looking to dump salaries, and any team far enough under the soft cap will be in the enviable position of being able to pick up a player for as little as a second round draft pick.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The Rip for space idea has merit... in essence Dampier could have better trade value than Rip in February... his contract states " 2010-11 is not guaranteed, but can become fully guaranteed if he meets certain performance standards during the term of his contract"
    Putting him on the shelf could work (not knowing the actual incentive clause) ...

What happens if Kwame goes down?... does Plaisted become our starting center so we don't have to play Damp?.. well that's a sure way to get into the lotto.
    Unless we swing a deal for a major center we have very little chance to win a ship... unless you're enamored with early exits in the playoffs then we should be thinking big picture.

Oh yeah even by moving Rips slary there should be appx 6 teams with similar spayce next year.... No guarantees for stars... the best value is still via trade.
  15. explosivity

Yeah that's true but doesn't Kwame's contract and another players contract expire. I saw somewhere if we did this deal we'd be anywhere from 15-16 million under the cap. Is any other team going to below the cap by that much in 2010? If you can find that out that would be fantastic!!!!
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This is a fairly recent snapshot of teams with spending dollars in 2010/11.
    It doesn't take into account teams re-signing their stars (like LeBron) or needing to add a few players to meet the league minimum roster... or new FA's/trades from this point forward.

2010-11TEAM SALARIESATLANTA30,885CHICAGO43,443CLEVELAND38,233DETROIT* 39,598 HOUSTON42,405MEMPHIS32,519MIAMI29,785NEW JERSEY32,189NEW YORK26,891OKLAHOMA CITY38,375PORTLAND39,380SACRAMENTO42,496UTAH42,595

*Considering if Rip were traded for an expiring deal.
  17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

this is actually an intriguing deal. it would've been better if joe had never extended rip's contract...he could have moved him this offseason for just about ANYONE. ugh.
  18. max

max All-Star

Plus he thought he was so slick slipping it in there before the CB trade.
  19. explosivity

I know, but had he not done that the guy would be a psychic. At the time he did it at the best interest of the team. I guess you cant blame the guy for trying, but he definitely can redeem himself by getting rid of Rip's contract for the expiring one of lets say Dampier's lol.
  20. explosivity

Excellent job in finding out all the the info Merc. I am assuming this doesn't take into account Kwame's expiring deal of about 4.4 million which would put us at about 34 million against possibly the shrunken cap of 50 million. All I have to say is get it done Joe. We can already see that he nixed the trade to send Tay out and bring Boozer in. The writing is on the wall Rip will be gone one way or another. Get it done Joe.