Away Sacramento Kings Wednesday Nov 7 2012

Discussion in 'November 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Tay just needs to be traded to one of the teams in the league that currently has a better record than the Pistons.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

People talk about Drummond and continue to clamor for him, not me. Drummond (dating back to high school) is an enigma. Nobody has figured out (including him) how to put this kids talent together, right now he simply does not get it and he is essentially ineffective. Right now Maxiel is better and deserves the time on the floor. Greg Monroe might be the worst defender in our entire 10 man rotation, do you really think he will fair better guarding PF's away from the paint? Paired with a kid who still continues to underperform? The Andre Drummond I saw in the Summer League was the Andre Drummond I saw play at UConn. The Andre Drummond I saw in the pre-season was a player I'd never seen before. The Andre Drummond we're seeing in these first few games is back to the Andre Drummond from UConn, a clueless, under performing, ineffective phenom of a basketball player.

That said, I son't care how he does it, but Joe needs to turn Stuckey and Prince into Capp Spayce.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He only played 5 minutes last night. Gotta let a guy make some mistakes or he's going to be over thinking it out there.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't see Drummond as a cure all, but I do see him as someone who is big and strong and will go after some rebounds. Just try to get him dunks on offense. Nothing major. He can play that role now.
  5. BallDon'tLie

What exactly do we have to lose by playing Andre Drummond?
    ...Seriously, someone please explain this to me.
  6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

This was suppose to be a break out year. Doesn't even look close. We are paying the price for not fully blowing up the team after 2008 when Sheed said "its over." We are paying the price for bringing in CV and Gordon. We are paying the price for trying to win on the fly while rebuilding.

There are several poor teams in a water-downed league and the Pistons look like one of them.

This in not Tay's team, or Stuckey's team. The Pistons veterans do not and have not won games for the team the past few years. Tay is not the old Tay. Stuckey's peak is probably a second team guard on most teams. He is a shooting guard without a shot most days. Maxiel plays nobly but is overmatched size-wise.

This team is Monroe's and Knight's team. I said this after game 1. And so far, these two are not experienced enough or skilled enough to put the team over the top. It is scary if these two do not become stars or near stars. Monroe has some game but still no outside shot. His defense is poor but he may turn out to be a scoring/passing threat from the top of the key. If he becomes a major scorer--fine--he would be a legitimate piece. Knight has a ways to go. His skill set is not sharp enough at present.

I hate to say this because I am tired of rooting for the team to lose to get a better lottery pick. But it looks like the Pistons have to go back into the lottery yet again. Singler is legit--maybe the best overall player on the team. JJ is a nice role player. Dre is a few years off but has that feel of defense that you want. But unless Monroe and Knight can become day to day forces, the team will lose.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Would Sacto be a playoff team in the East? 9/10 slot somewhere in there? They are definitely a level above the Pistons whatever that is.
  8. BallDon'tLie

Maybe the Maloof's will move the Kings to somewhere like Baltimore or Pittsburgh so we can find out.
  9. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Dre was in for a couple minutes and was banging inside and every time our guards did the matador defense he rotated to cut them off and when the guard dished and the big got the hoop Dre got blamed..It is the fault of his teammates for not rotating there is no world where that should be his bad. Unless coach wants him to stay with his man and let the guard lay it up. And as soon as he was pulled and max was reinserted Cousins took max low and scored on the very next play. Drum is not the problem folks, he may not be the answer but he certainly is not the problem. The problem is our idiot coach who is beginning to remind me of Flipper and Clueless' lovechild. If as someone said earlier we are shallow at the center position and that is why Dre isnt playing? seriously? We are getting killed on the boards in every game...maybe and this is just a maybe...our center / pf maxiell isnt the best choice. Wouldnt it be better on every level if Max was a energy guy off the bench that could play some pf for spot minutes? I am quickly losing patience with this team/ staff. Ive spent late hours watching this crap on the west coast trip and am pretty much done. Not even angry anymore, more sad.
  10. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Only into the second quarter and I know in the last game thread I said I don't care about rotations if they at least concentrate on defence as a unit, but they aren't anyway - FFS, you bring in Prince and just after he misses another shot you take out the guy who can play his position, is making shots and playing good D (Singler). Then T-40 palms it down low, gets blocked and plays crap D on the other end.

Prince is no longer a starter and I am getting increasing frustrated with him starting and playing big minutes when JJ and Singler are clearly playing better.

And then he throws the ball between Stuckey and Monroe and throws his arms up like it was either of their fault?!!? Another pass by him thrown out of bounds. Fouls on the return. Still in the game. AAAAAAAARGH!

6 chances to take him out in the 3rd, and he is left in the whole time!!!! Each game I watch this season, I lose a little more faith in Frank.
  11. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I felt the same way watching that exact sequence. Its dumbfounding, I was sayin the same thing about an undersized non rebounding non defensive player in max and having a better player in Dre sitting on the bench collecting dust. I just hope that these double standards the coach is throwin at the young kids when they get yanked for supposedly something they do then the starter that goes in for them does the same thing and doesnt even get a yell from the coach. I hope this doesnt turn them into austin dayes with major confidence issues and always looking over their shoulder. Cause Dre was playing hard and was looking good now he seems to be looking over to the bench and seems a little hesitant to make moves...If our genius coaching staff ruins this kid I will be beyond furious at all management of this team.
  12. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Finished the game now.

First up - great effort Monroe! First triple double by a Piston since CB in 2004.

Unfortunately his defence was still bad and I don't see it getting any better just yet. He just can't play D against Cs his own size or bigger - who can/will? Drummond. But Drummond can't be left out there with undersized PFs in JJ and Maxiell. Put Drum out there with Monroe and I think they will just be a better defensive fit. But not wanting to baulk on my comments on last game, if Frank can get some defensive cohesion from these rotations let it play.

Suprised we haven't seen Kravtsov given a chance to improve that D. I didn't catch him in that good pre-season game he had, but the reports were positive. Must be a reason he is being overlooked though if he hasn't seen any time and Drum gets minutes when he isn't playing great - communication could be a problem.

With Drum's minutes, I'm guessing this may have been more of a conditioning decision than anything on the travelling back to back games. English didn't get much play either. The only rook that did was Singler, but he has form after a big season in Spain.

Singler
    Daye and BoT basically still no court time
    BK taking some more shots

Dislikes:
    Prince playing horrible and still getting play
    Bynum
    Stuckey's slump
    Defence, still
    Outrebounded, again
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Monroe did lead the team in steals last year (with 83 and 49 was the next highest). So that is some defensive contribution. He blocks shots unusually poorly, but steals at a rate that is Olajowon like.

Also, Monroe's defensive win shares were nearly twice as high as anyone else on the team last year and highest on a per minute basis too. His defensive rating was 2nd only to Ben Wallace while his offensive rating was 2nd only to Rodney Stuckey (before he stopped taking steroids).

I guess what I'm saying is that there are probably certain things that he is doing defensively that are more subtle than the traditional things for a C. For instance, he boxes out extremely well on rebounds. He is smart about fronting or not fronting. He's strong and doesn't get pushed around. He's always near the basket. He has quick hands, gets steals and deflects passes. He doesn't leave his feet and commit dumb fouls.

He's just not a good jumper and never will be.
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Just as a thought exercise, let's say we had pulled the plug in Curry's first season, tanked and not made the playoffs. We *might* have been able to draft Stephen Curry or Brendon Jennings that year instead of Daye. Then we would be going into 2009/10 season with a butt load of cappspayce and the following players:

Chucky Atkins
    KB Toys
    Bynum
    Brendon Jennings/Stephen Curry (instead of Daye)
    Rip
    JJ
    JMax
    T-40
    Stuck
    Summers
    Big Ben
    Wilcox

Assuming everything else played out exactly as they did, the only difference would have been not drafting a PG in 2011. So we would've drafted either one of the Morris brothers, or Kawhi Leonard. Best case scenario would be Leonard. So, today we could be looking at a lineup of:

PG: Brendon Jennings/Stephen Curry
    SG: Stuckey
    SF: Prince
    PF: Maxiell
    C: Monroe

with Leonard/Morris, Drummond, Bynum, JJ, Singler, Slava, English, Middleton on the bench and capp spayce.

So, in a hypothetical world, not hitting the reset button one season earlier cost us a substantial upgrade at the PG spot, a minor deterioration on the bench, and capp space. In other words, we wouldn't be much further along than where we are today.
    brofmfa likes this.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Why do the Pistons not seem to have any problem getting offensive rebounds, but get killed on their defensive boards?
  16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Defensive rebounding relies a lot on boxing out, whereas offensive rebounding requires you to be crafty to get the rebound despite being boxed out. From what I have seen in the last 2-3 seasons, boxing out seems to be a notion that our team is not familiar with.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe because our misses are unually bad and the rebounding spray extends all the way out to the 3 point line?
    alexa032 and BallDon'tLie like this.
  18. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Airballs usually find their way...under the rim somewhere........
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Doesn't it look like they try harder for offensive boards? That is the only time they're flying around the court.
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A break out year for who?