Salary Cap Q&A

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, May 5, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Can you give me a hypothetical scenario so I can understand the motive behind doing that? Just make up players, teams and #s. It's the process, not the technical amounts that you are asking about.
  2. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Listened to your cap answers. Still need to go through it another time, but have gotten a fair idea of what Joe can do. Thx for the time and effort in putting this together.
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I just got finished listening. Great stuff Roscoe!
  4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Great podcast! I'm sure a lot of GMs will be listening for advice.
  5. roscoe36

Thanks guys. I am up for one more of these if there is a need for them. I have some salary cap and free agency ideas to share.

Are there more questions? With only 13 listens, I realize I am speaking to a small constituency.
  6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd be down with a free agency one. You might get more listeners for that one as well.
  7. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

8. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Great job Roscoe. So it looks to be 20 M. Keep us posted as we work our way through the summer.

All the more importance that trades and S&T will be the main mechanism for a complete overhaul of this team.

I would use a good part of it for Amare, or Odom. Something to build around and both need to be the center of desire.
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

IMO, this is the best strategy for our wiggle room.

A series of cap moves to include a young prospect (from the buyer).
    It does not have to be in bold sweeps either (large cap chunks going out).... there will be at least 18 teams manuevering for the upper hand for the 2010 FA crop.
    We can also effectively save owners millions by making small deals to get them below the tax line... for example it is conceivable that at least 5 teams would be willing to move their rookie cap hold... anything better than our pick will start at increments above 1.5 mil.
    In essence we could trade our pick as part of an attractive package... while on the other hand move up in the draft by taking on just a mid level type contract that only has two years left on it... this method puts us right back in the drivers seat in two years (which most teams will be back in tax hell after the big 2010 crop)... Joe is fortunate to not have salaries paralleled in the year of big spenders.
    If we can move up in the draft this is the chip that could lead to the big fish (ie Bosh, Okafor etc)... the move that led to the move if you will.
    This is where the scenrios become endless...
    This years FA crop may equate to high spending without max results... definately advocate using the space for trades instead.
  10. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

Maxiel can still improve their performance a little. This year all players have surrendered at least level than last seasson.
    His contract is a little higher than it has yielded but must be maxi,
    if Maxiel recover the level of last year would be a great bench player. We must feel positive about Maxi.
    I agree with mercury,we are under the cap,2009 and 2011 would be devaluated scenario salarys in contrast 2010,Boozer for the rigth price is a good deal,Jazz can´t keep his 3 inside players,we must wait and offer for the cheaper player.​
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I need to download these and put them on a CD so I can listen to it on the way to and from work. I am very interested!
  12. roscoe36

I might do one more. I've been short for time lately.
  13. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

What is the max that guys like Lebron James or Chris Bosh can make in 2010 (with a chart maybe too plz?) with bird rights and or if they sign to another team.
  14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Really nice job, Scoe. I loved it! Thanks for doing this and I look forward to future podcast episodes.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The next podcast is going to be Roscoe quizzing you on the salary cap.
  16. roscoe36

Ok, I will try to work this out when I get some time, but it will only be some sort of guesstimate, because it's probably going to be a % of the cap (7th year max players get 30%), and we need to know 2009/10 BRI (Basketball Related Income) in order to find out that the cap will be set at. My crystal ball is broken, but my lucky rabbit's foot might have some juice yet.
  17. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Thanks Roscoe.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This the latest update on the cap projections for next year.
    Stern admitted that the salary cap won't take as bad a hit in 2009 as was initially feared, but speculation remains that 2010 won't be the bonanza that was once believed. "I think the cap is going to stay the same or go down a skosh," said Stern. "If we have decreased revenue next year, it will go down a couple of skoshes the following year. But the days of massive increases are gone for a period of time."

Keep in mind that ad endorsements and season tickets took place prior to economic hit.... 2010 is when we should see the trickle from this years impact.
  19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    The NBA salary cap for the 2009-'10 season dropped to $57.7 million, and the luxury tax threshold to $69.2 million, the league told its teams Tuesday night. The mid-level exception is set at $5.854 million.

Here's Pistons cap situation:

[​IMG]

That would give Joe Dumars around $4.2 million dollars left over to use on a third free agent or to use in a trade taking back more in salary than sending out. With the luxury tax threshold dropping to $69.2 million, there will be teams looking to shed salaries in order to get below that number. This is something that Joe Dumars has stated he would like to take advantage of.

NBA salary cap set at $57.7 million - Full-Court Press
  20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Per RealGM:
    Jul 07, 2009 10:33 PM EST

The National Basketball Association today announced that the Salary Cap for the 2009-10 season will be $57.7 million. The tax level for the 2009-10 season has been set at $69.92 million. Any team whose team salary exceeds that figure will pay a $1 tax for each $1 by which it exceeds $69.92 million.

The 2008-09 Salary Cap was $58.68 million and the tax level was $71.15 million. Although league-wide revenue increased 2.5% this past season, the decrease in the Salary Cap and tax level for the 2009-10 season is the result of the formula used to set the Cap and tax under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.

The new Salary Cap and tax level go into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET on Wednesday, July 8, when the league’s “moratorium period” ends and teams can begin signing free agents and making trades.

The mid-level exception is $5.854 million for the 2009-10 season and the minimum team salary, which is set at 75% of the Salary Cap, is $43.275 million.