Samb & Acker tracker

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Oct 5, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Acker is better today than Flip Jr..... better shooter, less selfish ... he just didn't have the NBA experience.
    He'll be replacing Flip next year... Joe loves his game... his days as a Piston are just starting.

Hobbs is right about us keeping his rights as long as we don't use our MLE... that might be a tough choice.
    This retaining players rights (going to Europe) when they've played NBA ball is new to me.... I don't understand how this is possible.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That is why it is so important to keep AJ under wraps. Although Anthony Parker got a MLE type deal when he signed with Toronto, I don't see Acker getting that after one season.

The rights are basically stasis. As long as the Pistons tender qualifying offers, the rights do not dissolve.

Does anyone have a resource for European basketball contracts?

3. roscoe36

4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great recap Webz!

But I don't know how interested I'd be in watching a bunch of chearleaders dancing like a sultry smooth Chauncey Billups. :laugh: I think I might have to pass on that one.

5. roscoe36

Thanks webz!

6. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So is Horace Jenkins.

You wouldn't be saying that if you saw them Jammer! :p_welldone:

7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

those dancing girls...youtube material. Can you swing it webz?

8. webz

i'll see what i can do...

9. webz

Well,

I produced my first ever video. Its a compilation of highlights from Alex Ackers first game of the Euroleague season.
    Unfortunately the quality has suffered after the youtube conversion, but hopefully you will get a picture of the action.

One thing that struck me after i watched the finished version was how much hustle Acker showed. Not just his aggressiveness when attacking the rim but going for those tough rebounds and that sweet block. Enjoy!

YouTube - Alex Acker - R1 - Euroleague 06-07

PS - And just for slippy I threw in the dancers. :cheerleader:

10. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Thanks for the video. Turned out well. The talent on these teams is horrible...what, you want to jump? Acker needs to play some talented players and not waste his time.

11. roscoe36

Acker is getting a ton of playing time, making $300k more than he would have with the Pistons and living in what is probably a gratis situation when it comes to daily living expenses.

This was a better move than going to the DL with Blalock or riding the pine with the big league club in Detroit.

12. jammertime

Nice work Webz! Thanks for putting that together. I especially liked the "... and friends" part! :pound: I'm feeling much better that they didn't look like Billups too.

13. jammertime

It worked out well for Acker, and could potentially work out well for the Pistons (although that's looking like a longshot at this point).

14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Playing time against what type of competition? Granted, I am happy that he is making money and is the obvious star on the team...but, it's a waste. I am no fan of the DL, however, the DL level of play is much better that what I saw in that clip and others I have seen. Perhaps the league is weak this year.

15. roscoe36

Mo Evans, Manu Ginobili, Carlos Delfino, Sarunas Jasikicivius and Anthony Parker all were standouts in the Euroleague tournament, and are now in the NBA.

The D-League sends a lot more guys to the NBA but they are generally 10 day contract or absolute end of bench players.

The Euroleague regular season (and playoffs) is a much higher level of basketball than even the NCAA. It is the best (of the best) European club teams all competing in a super league.

And Tau Ceramica (the team Acker was playing against) are certainly not scrubs. They have been one of the better teams in Europe for over a decade with Luis Scola and Tiago Splitter playing forward.

16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

thanks webs!

17. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Great vid Webz...love the cheerleaders! :) Slippy, your signature is hilarious. :pound:

18. webz

Right on Roscoe. Not to mention Igor Rakicevic, Planinic and Erdogan on that team.

The style of play is more physical too. There's nothing wrong with the quality of play in the Euroleague, its the 2nd best league in the world.

19. webz

Report: Round 2 - Olympiakos (GRE) 93 v 86 Bologna (ITA)

Acker boxscore
    36 mins
    11 points - 4/13 FG, 1/2 FT, 2/3 3pt
    8 rebs
    1 ast
    3 stl
    0 blk
    4 TO

A bit of a let-down game for Alex after his superb showing in Round 1, but the team won again and are now 2-0.

Acker begun the game nicely, nailing a triple with his first shot. Tried another one shortly after but missed. Showed some good hustle, diving for loose balls. Had a couple of nice interior passes to his big men resulting in hoops but only credited with 1 assist for the game (Wrong!).
    Missed a few shots this game that he made in Round 1. Took it to the basket a couple of times but just couldn't finish off the layups. Bologna had a bigger presence in the paint which stopped a lot of the easy hoops.

He had a sweet tip jam.
    Didn’t get the ball a whole lot as Scoonie Penn, their PG dribbled out a lot of clock and forced too much himself as well as other players taking the shots. Acker didnt try to force his own too much when he did get it, which I wouldn't have blamed him for.

Drew a charge helping on defensive after his teammate got smoked.

He later followed his own miss in the paint by going up strong and drawing the foul. Split the pair giving him 6 points before taking his first rest with 5 mins left in the first half.

Came back on 2 mins later and drained another 3 straight away. He had a couple of turnovers, one was a walk and another after being stripped in traffic in the paint.

Had 9 points at the half.

They ran a couple of plays for him in a row in the 3rd quarter, where he gets a high screen and creates (although a lot of their offence begins that way), but he missed a driving layup and a 16fter.
    The team’s offense was pretty poor in the 3rd, often only 1 pass before a shot which doesn’t suit Ackers game because he is a good creator and passer. Schortsanitis (Baby Shaq) was in the game at this point and they force fed him in the post quite often and once he got it there was only 1 thing on his mind.

Not much else to report in the second half, made a layup on a fast break, that was it. Took a backseat to the Schortsanitis (17pts) and Domercant (29pts) show without making any mistakes.

A solid but not spectacular game from Acker, he should bounce back from this one. Video to follow.

20. roscoe36

Wasn't sure where to put this, and it didn't deserve it's own thread.

Andreas Glyniadakis has been signed by the Seattle Supersonics to add depth after Robert Swift went down to injury and they found out that Johan Petro is bad and Saer Sene is nowhere near ready.

Honestly folks, guys like Petro and Sene make Samb look like a viable NBAer.