Samb & Acker tracker

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I remember Petro looking pretty good on a couple of occasions when I saw him last season. Guess I wasn't watching enough Sonics games to get an accurate impression!

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Petro reminds me of a more mobile Diop... could come in handy on defense when needed.

3. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I am assuming this was response to my other post. I don't disagree on what you have expressed and you are preaching-to-the-choir if directed at me. Splitter and a few others have had opportunities to try the NBA and said no. This is fine; perhaps, as you mentioned before, they like the extra pay and having a legitimate fan following. The security is great to have, especially if they don't get into the image making that the US media and league hypes.

All teams and leagues have ups-and-downs, and the few videos I have watched have not impressed me. Man-to-man is inconsistent, and the zones (which they play a lot of) are porous. They do not emphasize quick offenses and defenses. This is my main concern, because they are future heavy training ground for the sleeper players the NBA sends them. The style is changing quickly in the NBA and they have to adapt and train some of these styles to help the US players (as well as their own who have heavy eyes on the NBA). If the Euro-league is going to be a universal player (and I think they are), then I would like to see them stepping out from some of the more historic and traditional styles which the coaches find comfortable.

Also, I forgot to thank you for your nice reply you sent me from another post. Thanks.

4. linwood

linwood All-Star

I have watched all of the Sonics games so far. This is an accurate description. These guys are not very good at all. Zach Randolph had 30+ points and double digit rebounds, and it didn't seem like he was trying very hard.

I have been following the Sonics in the local papers since I have been here, and the local reporters and the organization have been talking alot about their young bigs. If you really, really like the idea of potential, this might be a great team to follow. I think Samb could hold his own against these two.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Splitter and Scola have not come to the NBA because they have large buyouts with their current clubs. Why change leagues and work for free?

Contrary to the view of the Sterns of the league, it would seem most International players could take or leave the NBA (Fran Vazquez).

I completely disagree with this.

Again, the NBA obsession is for the most part, a North American phenomenon. Despite the rhetoric about playing overseas in exhibitions. I mean honestly, who is going to tune in to see Cleveland play Lisbon?

The NBA is not changing in the direction we are being told it is. They are getting a softer rule set that is contrary to the Euro and international style of play. The Euro game is far more rooted in fundamentals like passing and pure shooting than the NBA.

When they say "the New NBA" they mean, "We are dumbing down the game because we've let the shoe companies destroy our skills development system" and when they say "new generation of stars" they mean "athletes who cash the cheque and smile for the cameras in an entertainment partnership that may or may not be competitive"

I need to sleep.

No thanks is necessary. :)

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This is certainly true... it's a common occurance to see foreign players overwellmed by the speed of the game here... Dirk was talking about thinking he couldn't cut it here because of the quickness of the NBA.
    They have been able to stay competetive with USA teams because of:
    1. Fiba rules
    2. Heavy usage of screens
    3. Methodical and disciplined offenses
    4. Long tenure on their teams
    There are exceptions of speed players (Parker, Barbosa, Varejeo, USA exports etc)...
    I'll be curious to see how Anthony Parker does with the Raps this year.

7. roscoe36

Anthony Parker's 31. He's a little old to be the milestone. I would rather compare Ginobili or Tony Pizzle.

Parker's stats btw....

NBA.com : Anthony Parker Info Page

Nice start to his NBA comeback.

8. roscoe36

A little bit of Glynnie....

Sonics Insider - After practice on Thursday

9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Do the Pistons just not have anyone covering them who writes this kind of stuff, or do I just not know where to find it?

10. roscoe36

The Pistons have a blog team.

David Wieme writes touchy feely stuff.
    Keith Langlois writes the "insider" content
    and based upon his last post, Eli Zaret is the historical revisionist. :ohwell:

PISTONS: Pistons Blog Squad

From what I have read on other team sites, you would be hard pressed to get the candor in that Sonics entry from the Pistons' bloggers.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

12. roscoe36

Name this Piston...

[​IMG]

13. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Does Paulding count? Looks like him...

14. roscoe36

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!

You are our grand winner. You've just won 3 green skittles!

15. roscoe36

[​IMG]

Alex Acker's Olympiacos squad is 4-1, suffering their first defeat to Efes Pilsen 95-77.

Alex is third overall in regular season ranking (the Euro equiv of PER), scoring and rebounding per game through the first 5 matches of the Euroleague season.

Stats (per game)

Minutes: 34:21
    Rebounds: 9
    Assists: 2.7
    2 Point FG: 54.5%
    3 Point FG: 40%
    Free Throw: 85%

FYI, Tony Delk's Panathinaikos squad is 4-0 and leads the season in the points standings. He's scoring 12.2 PPG in approx 22 minutes per match.

[​IMG]

16. roscoe36

Samb update

Cheick's teams have had a rough ride of late. They've lost their last 4 games.

And Mr. Samb Blamblam has been a little inconsistent. In the 1st and 4th losses, Cheick had 10 total blocks. The middle two games, zero.

He was also banging the tramp going 3 for 5 in his first 7 games. But those 3 "puntos" have dried up and Samb hasn't taken a trey in 3 weeks.

With the exception of one recent match, Samb has been the 3rd most efficient player on his team, game in, game out.

He's scored 9.25 points per game, 7 rebounds per game, and shooting well above his season 50% FT average.

17. roscoe36

Late, but what appears to be breaking news (take that Blakely and McCoskey!)

Cheick Samb is injured and has been replaced in the WTC Cornella lineup for the last two games by his younger brother Mamadou Samb.

Cheick wears #15, so I was surprised to see a #19 Samb in the boxscores. After the Real Madrid win, WTC Cornella beat Caja Roja 89-72 on Wednesday, however Mamadou Samb did not start or score, picking up 2 fouls in just under 4 minutes.

Mamadou has a listed DOB of 31/12/1989 which may not be entirely accurate as some foreign players change their birthdate to appear younger.

I will update with more information as I can acquire it.

18. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

When those Skittles arriving?

Nice pic of Delk. Weird shoulders on that guy, big and square. Mike Jamesish.

19. roscoe36

I hope to have an update on Cheick's injury Friday night. Thanks to the professor for helping me decipher some Spanish basketball articles.

20. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Great pics. I am impressed with Acker's numbers and he should get his shot in the NBA...just probably not with the Pistons.

Could you fill me in on his contract status?