Samb & Acker tracker

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Oct 5, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

So, in a sense this is what we are faced with:

This is called the Gilbert Arenas Rule. It would have been applicable to Mehmet Okur if it was around when he signed with Utah. A second round pick becomes a free agent. Under the base rules of free agency and cap economics, if his original team makes him a QO to put him in restricted free agency and someone comes along like Utah and throws a big dollar contract at him, and the original team is capped out, they wouldn't be able to match. Now the provision is that as long as they have not spent the MLE, they can negotiate with their OWN restricted free agent using the MLE as a starting point.

3. roscoe36

Acker is playing himself out of our price range in the Euroleague Tournament.

We have his rights, and I like his game, but it might not be in our future that he is playing in Auburn Hills.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hopefully Acker turns out to play like Gilbert Arenas.

I've watched a few of his games now and he really seems confident and in control. It would be really nice to get this guy back if he can translate that game to the NBA.

5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Does anyone doubt that he can replace what Flip brings to the table next season.

7. roscoe36

Nope. I think he could replace Flip. Or at least Dupree. But with 3 picks in the draft next year and (hopefully) all 5 starters locked up, I wouldn't hold my breath.

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

All indications is that Joe is still very high on Acker... I guess he just wanted to keep a roster spot open in case a 2-4-1 deal came along... Of course Acker would see better defenses here and would have to perform with limited minutes (that's the tough part).

9. roscoe36

The roster spot is not open. We have to leave the Qualifying Offer on the table to retain Acker's rights. That is our 15th spot. If anything, that is confirmation that Joe is still high on him.

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It's interesting how they can retain his rights by holding a roster spot while he plays elsewhere... thanks for clearing this up.

11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Roscoe you earned your stipes for today. Now get back to studying the ins and outs of the CBA!!!!! HUT! HUT! HUT!:director:

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This is not true. Our open roster spot has nothing to do with Acker. If we filled the 15th spot right now, we could still sign Acker later. It just means we would have to waive someone or do a trade or whatever to get down to 14 players before we could add Acker. If we have no plans of adding Acker this year, there is no reason at all not to fill our 15th roster spot. You can keep the rights to a million players. You just can't have more than 15 on your roster.

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Anyone care to come up with a source.

14. roscoe36

I get you lee, but it's a matter of procedure. The QO is on the table. If acker's agent completes it and sends it to the league office, the Pistons are now over the roster limit of 15 (assuming they filled that spot).

The rights of a player like Samb or Glyniadakis are different from a NBA non-veteran free agent. No contract offer has to be extended to retain their rights. Teams have one year to sign them and the clock stops if they play overseas.

For the Pistons, our rights to Acker are directly tied to having an existing offer on the table, an offer we cannot remove without Alex's permission until March 1st. At any time, if we should lapse in having an offer avaiable to Alex, we lose his rights. Even if it is for one hour.

15. roscoe36

I'm working on that.

16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

this is the ultimate geek- argument about the 15th roster spot; Lee vs. Roscoe. Given to what I've read from Roscoe this far and because it rhymes, I'd say in dubio pro Roscoe.

17. roscoe36

Lee might be right. I don't see how I am wrong, but if I am, I would be pleased to correct myself and be smarter for it.

18. roscoe36

Well, one of the veteran CBA guys at RealGM tells me I am wrong.

Lee is right.

We can use that 15th spot but should Acker take his qualifying offer before March 1st, we would have to dump a player or lose his rights.

19. roscoe36

WTC Cornella played on the 5th, lost the game, still no Cheick Samb in the lineup.

20. roscoe36

Tony Delk's Panathinaikos squad is still undefeated and Tony is back in the starting lineup. After their recent win over Union Olimpija he said,
    Acker's Olympiacos team beat Prokom and now has an 8-2 record. They are just barely in the 4th overall league position based on points (not sure how that works). Basically, they are the best 2nd place team from the 3 pool divisions.

AckAttack had 13 points, 7 boards and 3 assists in 37 minutes.

Looks like Olympiacos is advancing to the next round soon (4 games left, say the first week of February), so Acker might not be available if the Pistons want to add him.