Samb & Acker tracker

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Oct 5, 2006.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Would it be OK if we dump 2 players?
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Very cute. :)
  3. roscoe36

Cheick Samb missed last weekend's game which means he hasn't played in over a month.

There is an interesting bit on his younger brother at DraftExpress.com
    DraftExpress - NBA Draft, NCAA/International Basketball Website.

You'll recall from an earlier post in this thread that his brother was called in to replace him in the lineup when Cheick was injured. That experiment only lasted 2 games.

I don't think this is a good development environment (the Spanish LEB-2 league). If you look at some of the guys on Cheick's team, it looks a lot like a high school alumni squad, after guys have got degrees, jobs, starting families, developed drug habits etc.

If the Pistons are serious about developing Samb at all, they should get him over here, at least playing in the NBDL or CBA. Surely they have the clout to make this happen.
  4. roscoe36

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Informative piece from McCoskey ...Has some info on Samb, Acker, Amir & Brevin Knght:

"Cheick has been hurt, which for us is useful in the fact that he's already gained 23 pounds of muscle and he looks great without losing any quickness," said Tony Ronzone, international scout and director of basketball operations for the Pistons. "He practices with the Barcelona team and he also plays and practices with a (junior) team in Cornella. He is definitely improving and we are very excited about his future."

Put on 23 LBS of muscle? :good:
  6. linwood

linwood All-Star

He should be pushing 155 lbs now!
  7. roscoe36

Apparently Samb has a stress fracture in his foot. He's been out 6 weeks now, so I have a hard time believing he has put on 23 lbs of muscle and still looks quick when he has one bad wheel.

Ronzone could sell snow to Eskimos.

Again folks, I want to reiterate that Samb plays in the LEB2, which is a third tier league in Spain. The Pistons are big on referring to it as second tier, which is totally not true. It's like high school basketball for adults.
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

How much is that snow going for?... It has ebay potential.
    I likada Samba Mama
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If he really did put on that much weight, he should be steroid tested. That is absolutely impossible to add that much muscle that quickly.
  10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Maybe he had this metabolism all along... jess couldn't find Big Macs in his country.... My guess is they've put him on a weight training program (muscle weighing more than fat).... but yeah that would be an unprecedented weight gain since the SL.
    If he can get up around 260 in the next couple years we may be looking at our center of the future.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't really know much about about this subject, but are there many documented cases of guys that skinny gaining significant weight in a legitimate fashion? In other words, does Samb have the potential to ever carry a lot of weight?

Tayshaun Prince for example just doesn't seem like he could bulk up if he wanted to.
  12. roscoe36

My European sources :sssh: told me that Cheick has been able to put on 23 lbs of muscle by eating only mangoes.
  13. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Were the mangos encased in a whole pig? Or were the mangos in a pie made with lard? Or is Mango an African word for Big Mac? I need to know so I can avoid those mangos.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ted Nugent knows about this phenomenon... he calls it the Mango Tango
  15. roscoe36

Top 16 profile: Olympiacos - News - Welcome to EUROLEAGUE BASKETBALL

Hoskins was on the Pistons summer league roster.
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

A little refresher on Draftexpresses opinions on Samb

Some other draft info on Samba Mama from Sports Illustated:
    ANALYSIS: Few players who will be picked in the 2006 NBA Draft have less experience than Samb, but that doesn't mean he isn't an exciting prospect. On the contrary, Samb has exhibited shotblocking abilities that would put him among the best rejecters in Europe, if only he had enough experience to play at a higher level. Samb played his first professional season this year in LEB2, which is the third-highest professional league in Spain. He signed a contract with Unelco Tenerife, a club in the ACB, Spain's highest level, but he has competed at lower levels in order to gain experience. In his first season, Samb blocked more shots himself than all but one of the teams in LEB2. He also averaged 9.6 points and 7.7 rebounds, pretty good numbers considering his utter lack of experience. With a normal progression, Samb might be ready to play at Spain's highest level, the ACB, in two more years. In the past, clever NBA teams have selected prospects like Samb and let them develop in Europe for a few years before signing them to play in the NBA. Denver drafted Francisco Elson in 1999, then let him develop for four years in Spain until they felt he was ready for the NBA. Elson has had three productive seasons as a frontcourt reserve for the Nuggets. Perhaps some team will show the same foresight and draft Samb.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

"Best case scenario = Mikki Moore" it says on the right.

Why would we want that? We already had the 'best case scenario' on our team and we waived him.

Moore played for 9 teams + CBA + NBDL + Europe.

It is probably wise to not get excited about this prospect at all if the Mikki Moore level is his ceiling.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

VP of the Samba Mama club says no doubting allowed... he's gonna be using that sleek freak athleticism to dunk on Darko's noggin... wait till you see those half court shots.
    We could play him some at SF... some at center and some at PG (7'1" A.I. baby)
    Still taking on new members
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We got so many prospects, we don't know what to do with them all.

JMax, Amir, Acker, Blalock, Samb, our first round draft picks. We could fill up a whole D-League team ourselves.
  20. roscoe36

I wonder how much Samb's injury has hurt his chances of being moved up to the LEB 1 or ACB (Spanish Premiere League) next year. I know from the translations that his LEB 2 club whine constantly that each match is hard without him in the middle.

By all accounts, he's one of the best shotblockers in the LEB2, and I remember reading that he won some kind of dunk competition.

Another thing to consider is that he may have a buyout now, and certainly if he moves to the ACB. I wonder if that will be a barrier to bringing him in. I know that Luis Scola (Spurs property) has never made it to the NBA mostly because his buyout is so big. I was reading a translated article about how these players (and specifically Samb) provide a great opportunity for teams to develop them and then cash in on buyouts when they want to transfer to another league. Development as a business.

He's interesting to watch to see how this unfolds. I don't like the Francisco Elson comparison though. Elson is a bit player. We need to hope this guy can be a starter one day.