Samb & Acker tracker

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Oct 5, 2006.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You think we have a lot of prospects now. Wait until this summer when we add Acie Law, Rudy Fernandez, and Engin Atsur (NBADraft.net | Home).

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It is funny reading all of their criticism. It seems like they list upper body strength as a weakness for 90% of the players. Maybe 19 year old kids just haven't had 5 hours a day to lift weights. Even Durant is too weak for them. Oden is too humble. Acie is weak, and telegraphs his passes. Rudy is weak, careless with the ball, doesn't fight through picks, and can't rebound. Engin is so far back, they don't even comment on him.

The good thing is that Acie has high marks for leadership and NBA readiness.

Maybe we can trade up for Corey Brewer. He seems like the only true Piston in the draft.

3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

by the time orlando's done this year, we may have that #10 pick to use o_O

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hopefully they don't get Vince Carter.

Otherwise, it is definately looking good.

But given all the youth we have, trading up would not be a bad idea anyway.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I wanted more data on the kid's European contracts, and Jonathan Givony @ DraftExpress - NBA Draft, NCAA/International Basketball Website. was happy to oblige.

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Well done Roscoe (insert pat on back smiley)... Givony is a top shelf analyst.... so Samb can't come here next year if he wanted to... this is consistent with Hammonds comments of him not joining the team for two years.
    Acker did a nice job of covering his backside... he knows he'll have a decent contract next year either way.

7. roscoe36

I'm working on an offseason primer article and will cover the signing options in detail later next month.

8. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Into the sweet 16 if you like, of the Euroleague tournament. 8 of the 24 teams are now eliminated with Acker's Olympiakos making it through comfortably.

Its now a 6 game round robin with the top 2 teams in each of the 4 groups going through to the quarter finals.

Acker finished the regular season with stats of:
    15ppg, 6.5rpg, 2.7apg, 2spg while shooting FG 46% and FT 88%.

Olympiakos is 1-1 after 2 games in the top 16. I managed to catch the 2nd game against DKV Joventut so here's my mini-cap.

This game was quite painful to watch actually. It was like a bad movie you just wanted to end. After 40 minutes of basketball it was 58-56 in favour of DKV. Both teams shot under 39% and combined for 44 turnovers.
    This is not indicative of Euroleague play and skill though from what I've seen. It was the result of physical play and tough defense allowed to escalate by the referees, in what is effectively the playoffs. Both teams average 82 and 78 ppg during the season.

Acker started off the game aggressively, taking the ball to the basket the first few times he touched it, resulting in a 3pt play, a miss and a make. He consistenly beat his man off the dribble even though he always went left. You'd think his man would play him to the right. But Acker is quick. Once he had his man beaten he went strong to the hoop.

Had 7 points in the first quarter. From there on it just turned ugly. The game got very physical and A LOT was being let go. Acker was denied free throws at least 3 times this game which would have been called for certain in the NBA. The referees just let the tolerance level of what is foul reach such a point they couldn't go back, and that set the tone for the rest of the game.

However this didn't mean they didn't blow the whistle, in fact it seemed like the whistle was blowing non-stop.

I don't think this kind of play suits Acker's game as he is quite a fluid and athletic player and doesn't seem to thrive in chaotic and broken plays. However, he is a bit like Delfino though with his knack of finding the ball, getting to loose balls and rebounds and causing deflections.

He did have a couple of turnovers whilst handling the ball. Most people probably know by now but I will say again that he is not a PG. He is a capable ball-handler, especially when he is making a move, but he just doesn't appear comfortable bringing the ball up the court or dealing with pressure and double-teams, and often picking up his dribble too early.
    He is quite a good passer though and created a couple of open looks for his team-mates who couldn't finish for the assist.

He made a nice clutch jumper from the wing late in the game, after creating separation from his man, at a time when nobody could score, but ended up fouling out with under a minute left.

So overall a solid if unspectacular game from Alex, however it was difficult to pick out even one player who starred in this slug-fest. This Euro experience will be good for giving Acker some toughness and if he brings his aggressiveness back to the NBA he is going to do well. His dribble penetration is something the Pistons could really use.

Acker: 11 pts (5/14 FG), 4 rebs, 1 ast in 36 mins.

9. TheDraftReview.com

TheDraftReview.com Second Round Draft Pick

Hey TaShawn I just wanted to go into detail about the scouting reports I am the senior scout for NBADraft.net. So I can only assume you were refering mine. I do agree maybe some of the criticism is minor or nit picking in a way. But honestly we want to give our readers as much information as possiable. Even if the information is minor I feel that certain things will effect them in the NBA. Some of what I wrote will naturally improve. As for Engin I will put up a scouting report on him in the next couple of days for you. Sorry about the delay but honestly Scouting has been crazy!! Thanks for your time I appreciate the feedback and most importantly thanks for visiting the site.

Matthew Maurer

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

No worries Matt. I really enjoyed reading the reports and trying to imagine some of these guys on the Pistons. And I'm glad that you care enough to go out and listen to what fans think.

I roomed with a Michigan bball player in college and was amazed at how busy his schedule was. Practice, weights, classes, tutoring, games, etc. I think that their young age combined with the time crunch makes it impossible to get NBA type body strength without cheating. My point is just that since they are all in the same boat, it would be better to compare their relative strength to eachother, instead of pointing out that they are weaker than NBA players. We should be careful to not reward Bosworth type situations in this sport.

They will all get bigger in the NBA if they have any kind of work ethic.

I think most of us here are very sceptical when looking at scouting reports after our failed #2 selection. It's not easy predicting the future.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Gr8 to see Matt Maurer gracing the board... NBADRAFT.NET has a solid track record in their draft order predictions (compared to others).
    Matt's been doing the draft gig for a looong time... this is an extremely busy man... yet he has made himself accessable via radio interviews and message boards...
    he also spends a lot of time overseas... We need to get him in touch with Ronzone.

12. TheDraftReview.com

TheDraftReview.com Second Round Draft Pick

Of course I listen to fans without you guys there would be no me. Plus fans are a lot smarter than people in the industry give them credit for.
    You make great points I will definately think about what you have said and try to apply it to my scouting reports. I can definately understand your frustration regarding prospects I mean everone dropped the ball on Darko everyone.

Again I am humbled by the love thanks Mercury it means a lot for people to acknowledge what you have done... Please keep in touch...

Matthew

13. webz

Olympiakos' 3rd game of the Top 16 was a blow out loss at the hands of CSKA Moscow, who only lost 1 game during the regular season and are undefeated in the Top 16. CSKA basically just outplayed Olympiakos all game.
    They built a 20 point lead mid-way through the 2nd quarter with deadly 3pt shooting (13-20) and tough in-your-face defense, then maintained the lead to win 85-64.

Alex Acker only played 18 minutes in this one and only 5 minutes of the second half as the coach explored his bench looking for answers.

Ackers line was 6 points on 3-6 shooting, 2 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 huge block on Trajan Langdon. Despite the lack of minutes I thought he actually played alright. He drew 3 fouls before the shot, driving to the basket which was encouraging. Most of his looks were open and had 2 tough luck misses. Other than that, not much else to report on Acker this game.

Olympiakos are still 2nd in their group at 1-2 with CSKA beating both the other teams in the group. With 3 games to go you'd think Olympiakos need to beat both those teams to advance with CSKA to the final 8.

14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Thanks Webz... what's up with Acker playing only 18 minutes?
    Isn't he considered a top 20 talent?... how do you think you'll advance without arguably your 2nd best player on the court?

15. webz

It was a rout very early on, but I thought the coach might have just played him the full game despite the blow out in progress. Acker usually only gets a few minutes rest per game. But obviously the coach was looking to mix things up and played his bench for most of the second half. I wouldn't read too much into it. Acker didn't do much wrong out there. I have a highlights package coming soon, although there weren't too many in just 18 minutes but the block was pretty nice.

16. roscoe36

Cheick Samb made his comeback to WTC Cornella in the Spanish LEB 2 league.

FEB || Federación Española de Baloncesto ||

Samb had been out with a foot injury.

In 7 minutes off the bench, he tallied 4 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 block.

[​IMG]

17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Samba Mama...The new Wilt the Stilt... he's gonna rewrite the record books I tell ya (oh that's already been used).

18. webz

wow! his 48 min numbers are off the charts!!

19. roscoe36

Olympiacos vs. Partizan - Report

He played 39 out of 40 minutes folks...

[​IMG]

20. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

It is easy to see how Samb is a big fan favorite. The crowd is lovin it.

:hoops: