Samb & Acker tracker

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Oct 5, 2006.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Tau Ceramica - Olympiacos 84 - 59

Acker - 28 min, 7 pts, 2-7 fg, 3-4 ft, 3 rb, 1 as, 2st, 2to

Looks like it was some woopin.

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It looks like Samba Mamba is still injured... wasn't in the latest boxscore

The Black Mamba largest venomous snake in Africa

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Sounded so nice... had to post it twice: (from NBA.com)
    The Pistons had become intrigued with Samb, a 7-foot-1 “freak,” as Dumars admiringly refers to him.
    “That’s what he is – a freak,” Dumars said. “You have to see him play. Seven-foot and the ability to block everything around the basket. A nice jump shot. He can really shoot the ball. Kind of a Jack Sikma. Shoots it from up high, kind of like Rasheed (Wallace). People will like him.”
    NBA personnel people sure did this summer when he played with the Pistons’ summer team in Las Vegas. One Western Conference GM asked Dumars if he wanted to talk trade. One Eastern GM was dumbfounded that the Pistons got him with what amounted to a late second-round pick. And another Eastern GM offered a player currently in his starting five for the rights to Samb.
    “He is extremely – extremely – long,” Hammond said. “He has great, natural, God-given timing as a shot-blocker and he’s legitimately 7 feet tall with an extremely nice shooting touch. It’s fun when you have a big guy who can pop out and make the 10-, 12-foot jump shot. And he makes his free throws.”

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Tau Ceramica has eliminated Piraeus Olympiacos and Alex Acker's season is over in the Euroleague.

Olympiacos vs. Tau Ceramica - ShowGame - Welcome to EUROLEAGUE BASKETBALL

Acker led all Olympiacos players with 19 points in 34 minutes going 6/10 from 2, 1/3 from the arc and 4/5 from the line. He also had 4 assists, 3 steals and 3 rebounds.

The big question is, what is next for Alex? A 3rd summer league with the Pistons? Accepting his option with Olympiacos? A return to the NBA and possibly the Pistons?

Stay tuned.

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think this depends on Flip Jr.'s status... there's some duplication there.
    I think the Pistons will move Jr.'s expiring deal this summer and make some room for Joe's pet prospect.

6. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Flip Jr has a player option for next year. At what point will Joe know with certainty whether the player executes his option? (Dyess has a player option for next year as well.)

7. roscoe36

July 1st. By July 1st, everyone has to have taken or declined their options.

8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

our lineup in 2009???

STARTERS PTS REB AST:

F- PRINCE 18.8 5.4 4.0
    F- JOHNSON 16.9 10.0 2.1
    C- SIAM 8.1 8.5 3.0 BLKS
    G- BILLUPS 17.9 3.3 9.1
    G- HAMILTON 22.0 4.0 3.5

BENCH:
    MAXIEL 10.5 7.0 1.0
    ACKER 9.2 2.2 2.0
    BLAYLOCK 5.8 1.0 4.8
    ......ET AL?

9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Samba Mamba is back on the prowl... puttin' up numbers and adding weight (thanks to sacred orange)

April 14th

23:37
    13 pts 3/4 FG - 1/2 3FG - 4/6 FT
    10 rbs (2 of)
    1 stl
    3 blocks
    3 TO

April 23rd

25:28 min
    19 pts 9/13 FG - 0/1 3FG - 1/2 FT
    15 rebs
    1 as
    2 steals
    2 blocks

Samb Pic #1

Samb pic #2

10. mikhail1973

Samb looks to have gotten significantly bigger and stronger. Now he needs some real competition. Hopefully he can spend the next season in Europe playing in the premier league.

11. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Thanks Mercury. Now he looks like he might not be any skinner than Tay or Rip.

12. Rip 32

Rip 32 First Round Draft Pick

Cheik Samb is someone i dont kow much about but he loos like he has potential which couldnt be bad right? In Detroit we have everything he needs except for playing time and i think Acker will definately be used in the future hes kinda like a Mo evans Gosh i wish we still had him

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Acker is very different from Mo Evans. The biggest difference is that Acker has great handles and could play point guard if he had to.

He probably never will have to play the point with us, but it is still nice to have a shooting guard/ small forward who you can rely on to handle the ball without the turnovers.

I really hope we can incorporate him, Amir, and JMax off the bench next year... maybe with Flip and Dyess.

14. mikhail1973

According to Pistons, Samb is a couple of years away, so his playing time is not going to be a problem. He is going to get more seasoning in Europe before coming over to NBA (if at all). At the same time, will there be enough playing time for Acker and Delfino? They are somewhat similar, but I haven't seen enough of Acker against NBA caliber players to make any conclusions at this time. He did well in the Euroleague, so we are possibly getting a pretty strong bench player who's been in trenches (that is if he opts out of his Greek contract and joins the Pistons next year).

15. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That is true Tashawn. He does have pretty good handles, however hopefully he won't really be called on to run the offense very often. We would be under-utilising his strengths if that were the case. We need a second legit PG.

Still, I'd use him in that role over Lindsey any day of the week.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree that he is similar to Delfino from what I've seen. Bigger guy who is capable of playing the point, but is basically a swing man. They both play good defense, rebound unusually well, and have nice looking strokes with range. And they are both familiar with the international game.

17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Some info from ESPN radio and Mlive on Cheick Samb:
    Chad Ford, renowned lover of international talent, has ranked the top ten international prospects. Surprisingly, Pistons' 2006 second-round selection Cheick Samb cracked the list.

He got little-to-no buzz before the 2006 draft, and the Pistons stole him late in the second round without much fanfare. Then Samb arrived at the Las Vegas Summer League and shocked people with his size, athleticism and ability.

Now 22, Samb spent this year playing for Cornella in Spain, working on his game and building up his thin frame. Over the course of the year, he's gained nearly 30 pounds and is starting to dominate in his league. He had 19 points and 15 rebounds the other night and it seems, in a few years, he might be the answer to some of the Pistons' big-man woes.

Chad Ford chats with Pistons' international scout Tony Ronzone on the Daily Dish on Thursday. Interesting non-playoff talk chat that's worth a listen. He really paints an exciting picture of Piston prospect Cheick Samb. Click here to listen to the audio.
    Ford: You talk about Africa, The Pistons drafted a guy named Cheick Samb late in the draft and nobody had really heard about him. Even on the internet, the few photos that were available were kind of grainy. Then he shows up at the NBA Summer League camp in Las Vegas and he puts up pretty some big numbers for a guy no one has heard of, and I think surprised a lot of people. How did you find this guy and what kind of prospect do you think he can be? Ronzone: I think he's going to be an incredible prospect. A great story about when we brought him over to play in Vegas and we're flying from Phoenix to Las Vegas, you know Cheick speaks very little English. He speaks Spanish, French and two different African dialects. So we're flying into Vegas and he looks at me and say, "Coach, coach, this is Detroit?"
    "No Cheick, this is Las Vegas"
    "Oh I like."
    You have to remember, this is the first time he's played or even been in America, and he doesn't really understand our coaches' terminology, but he goes out there and plays really well.
    When he arrived in Las Vegas he was a whopping 205 pounds, but since that time he's put on 35 pounds. I just showed some of the staff, including Joe Dumars, a photo of Samb because I saw him last month and the first thing they say is, "Who is that? Is that Nene?" because that's what his body looks like now. His body has completely changed. We're really excited to have him come back this summer to see the improvement. He's 7' 2" with a 7' 8" wingspan, but the beauty is that he can catch and shoot. He'll step out and shoot a three, he'll go down in the post and he has great passion for the game.
    Samb has only been playing basketball for only five years. He's from Senegal and he was found pretty much because of his brother, who I can't speak about right now because he's an underage player. His brother was recruited to play for Barcelona, and the GM over there is a good friend of mind, so that's how I got the connection with Cheick. Their mother said that if you take the young one you have to bring Cheick too, and he just happened to develop a lot quicker than anyone expected. We're very fortunate to have landed him late in the second round and we're hoping we've found another Mehmet Okur, but he's obviously a different type of player.

http://blog.mlive.com/fullcourtpress/2007/04/pistons_scout_hypes_cheick_sam.html

18. roscoe36

Merc, I could kiss you. Beautiful find.

19. mikhail1973

Thanks for the info. Looks like the Pistons could be staying atop for the years to come. If this guys develops, then we have AJ and Maxiell, our front line should be as potent as it is now. I guess in this draft Joe should look into getting some guards for the team.

20. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I would not say the future frontcourt would be "as potent as it is now." Sheed is going to be mighty hard to replace - harder than his numbers indicate. For all his faults and inconsistency, there aren't a dozen 7 footers in the world who can do what he's capable of. Rebuilding that group and its chemistry won't be easy.