Samb speculations

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Samb remains big question mark for Pistons

I think by the end of training camp, we will be signing this guy and stuffing him in the NBDL. Raw? Sure. Cheap? Yes. Our only other legit C is Nazitron. What will it cost us? A roster spot? Who else would we put there?

2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure why McCoskey labeled this as a dodgy decision. The kid has surely shown enough promise and growth during a short period of time to take a roster spot and do some NBDL duty. He may have some troubles playing defense...or with his balance but at this point you measure him by the progress he has made.

Now Doc Rivers is saying he doesn't have good balance? I think maybe a gymnastics program might help....balance beam would be good.

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Might be better to let him play over there some more...........too raw, still..........

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How can this guy be out of shape? This is sort of his big break.

It appears as if he won't contribute this year in a meaningful way, so the question is what will be the best way for him to develop. D-League seems like a good answer, but then we have to pay him. In reality, signing Dale Davis as a backup big who would hardly ever play would be a better usage of $. Even if the guys at the end of the bench never play, it is nice insurance to have bodies who could fill in on an emergency basis. He doesn't seem like he is capable of that yet.

Think about this. He started playing bball at about the same time that we drafted Darko. That is not very long ago.

5. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I see no harm in bringing him over. It's not like the 15th guy on the roster has ever done anything other than collect splinters and carry bags. Is there a more meaningless position on this team.

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

We'd have to pay either way. To get him out of his next spanish contract or to keep him on the team.

We could have Ali Traore on hand. That could be an option.

7. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Another problem with keeping him overseas is that there's no guarantee he makes the major league. I don't know if there's any point to having him play in the inferior league. How much development would he be able to get there? Also, he only played in a handful of games this year, and he's not used to the grind of the more physical games. That's why he's getting tired. He needs to be in US training with Pistons and their NBDL team.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I actually hope we do throw him on the roster, just so that we don't miss out if he is capable of improving fast enough to be useful. Can't teach wingspan.

But as long as we play JMax, Amir, and the new picks, I'll be satisfied with our push for development. The key is that we hold his rights if he suddenly gets the hang of this game.

9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sure seems like forever to me.

Must be something about the Darko Ages...

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Remember when Delfino came to camp out of shape? I was thinking the same thing. This is there livelihood.

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Absolutely. Unless he was able to somehow get promoted to, and play for the ACB (Premiere Spanish League) there is no point in sending him back to play for a 3rd tier foreign team in a high school gym.

We either decide to make a serious commitment to developing this guy, or may as well but him loose, because floundering around in a league with teenagers and 30-something blue collar weekend basketball warriors is not doing a lot for his game.
    To be fair, Samb missed a large portion of his Spanish season due to injury. And that league doesn't hardly have any athletes like Vegas to fight and keep up with.

Btw, does anyone remember when Darko smoked during practice? I remember thinking, "Who does this guy think he is? Vlade Divac?" :pound:

12. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I'd send him back just because he wasn't in shape. Don't want to invest dollars in a guy who wasn't physically ready to compete. Tell him that his conditioning and strength are a priority. Give him physical endurance goals, as well as strength goals. These are things that can be measured. Then open up the Davidson vault if he's ready next season............

13. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Are you suggesting that Samb is lazy? Maybe it's just that he's out of shape because he's never been in shape before. I know he played soccer before picking up basketball a few years ago, but I doubt he's benefitted from years of training that most guys at this level have had.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe he has been working on adding muscle and has been light in the cardio department. Maybe his body hasn't acclimated to the 30 lbs he's added.

I'm just saying that if I was headed to LVSL without a contract, I would spend the month before making sure that I could make it through more than 1 quarter of bball before collapsing. You gotta know that you aren't in game shape if you are him. Especially a guy who comes from a soccer culture.

And I agree that Darko was stupid in the same respect. Although in his case, it was probably more immaturity/ overconfidence/ complacency. I doubt Samb is any of those.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Signing Samb for two seasons (second year a team option) would cost around $450k the first year, and $800k the second year.

It's cheap. It's so cheap, it's cheaper than bringing in a 4 year veteran for the minimum. It's the cheapest dang contract we could sign.

So seeing as how we will probably fill at least 14, if not all 15 roster spots, the question isn't do we take on Samb's salary but rather is there anyone else we would be better off developing with that spot?

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

At least a guy like Dale Davis is better than Nazr though and could actually be inserted in the game in the playoffs.

I just don't want to see us leave a guy like him off the roster to take a flyer on a guy who maybe doesn't have it.

But, I'm truly speculating, cause I haven't ever seen Samb play.

I guess my conclusion is that Joe D will have enough information at his disposal to make the right choice here. He will have hours and hours of game tape and he will have had the chance to see Samb in a gym going against JMax, Amir, etc. If Joe decides to leave him off the roster, it is probably because Sambeer isn't close to ready.

17. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Lindsey retires and Blalock is gone, and Amir gets signed, that only takes up ten spots if I'm counting right.

Then...

Stuckey
    Affalo
    Dale Davis?
    Samb
    Unknown FA?

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe keep Meijer too? I mean Meija. Maybe Acker too.

Mo P possible.

This off season seems more intriguing than usual.

19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Blalock is already gone. Mejia may have to go overseas for some seasoning. No news whatsoever on Acker. So, there should be a spot available.

20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The summer league program listed him as 7'1, 195. That is too light for a body that tall. This was the first time I had seen him and I canMaybe there has to be a missprint in the guide and he is actually heavier now?

If he missed part of last season being injured, then I can see him being out of shape. If the extra spot is available on the roster, I would rather have him in the states assigned to the D league with some bonified strenthening coach and nutrionist monitoring him here than wondering what he is doing overseas. He can learn here at the D league level as well as play and learn with Sheed, Dice or even Nazmo:) during training camp and practice when the D league is out of season.