Samb speculations

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Jul 9, 2007.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

After today, J. McCoy looks like the stud.

Roscoe, would you put Samb on the team over Dale Davis?

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yes. And this is why.

Samb is cheaper. And he's the future.

If Flip is not going to play someone, I would rather he not play Samb, so he can go to the Mad Ants and cost us little to nothing, than Davis who will occupy a non-DLeague spot that might end up excluding Samb from the roster at a greater payroll hit.

Who can help us this year? Davis. Maybe next year too.

But will Flip play either of these guys? That remains to be seen.

3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Roscoe, I don't believe Samb can hang with NBA players today. But he needs to spend an entire season at NBDL. There he'll face competition that will alow him to develop his game. As much as I love DD, I don't think we need to bring him back.

4. iamthefuj

iamthefuj Second Round Draft Pick

Great article. I think this part is probably the thing to talk about the most:

...if the Pistons or another NBA team are fixated on developing him, they should bring him over to get used to the NBA banging sooner rather than later -- he's unlikely to develop that in Europe.

I'm all for using the last roster spot on him. Put him in the NBDL and at least get him close to the coaching and training staff - Have him play against strong players (not necessarily good, but strong).

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Aren't there unsigned players in the DLeage?

I don't know, I just don't see him panning out. Too lanky.

I have to agree that if Flip refuses to play Davis, then I would not want him on the team. But without CWebb, then he may actually play Davis over Naz.

6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Didn't you post earlier that if a player works at something hard enough that they can succeed? In fact I think that was by far the majority of opinion on this forum in opposition to my theory.

Therefore it seems to me that almost everyone this board should be trying to figure out how to get Cheikh to work hard enough to be a successful NBA player and see that the Pistons follow that plan.

Simple enough if you believe that hard work can overcome lack innate skills in all circumstances.

:hoops:

7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Your theory... which can pretty much be summed up by:

People are exactly the same as they were when they were "very young".
    Experiences don't change people.

8. mikhail1973

You don't believe that Samb has enough skills to play in the NBA? Just curious. I am very open on this subject since I haven't seen enough of him to come to any conclusion.

9. buddahfan

That is totally incorrect. That might be your interpretation.

My position is that every person is born with their own unique DNA (This is a medical fact). That DNA determines a persons base mental and physical capabilities and potential defects, such height, inherited susceptibility to certain diseases, such as alcoholism, etc

What a person does with his/her DNA is then up to that person, influenced but not controlled by their environment.

But someone who is born with what is classified as a "imbecile mentality" in medical terms (and I do not use the term in a derogatory manner whatsoever) will never become a Physics PhD no matter how hard they try.

10. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I think that he has the "potential" to play in the NBA, and if he becomes a NBA player, then he could be good.

He's not ready right now. If they think that he'll be better served in the D-league than Europe, then yes, bring him over, but he's not a rotation player right now.

No way in hell.

11. buddahfan

I don't have a position one way or another on whether he will ever play successfully in the NBA for an extended number of years.

From what I have seen of his game and what I have read about him so far I have drawn the following opinions at this point about his game.

1. He has certain basketball talents that would be helpful to his game in the NBA

2. His game has improved over the last 12 months.

3. He has gained the weight the JMax lost. - LOL

4. To play effectively in the NBA with his back to the basket on offense he will need to get stronger.

5. To play an effective low post defense in the NBA he will have to get stronger.

6. He can probably work better on developing his strength by playing in the D league vs Europe, unless he can go to a team in Europe with a top rate strength and conditioning coach or avail himself of the same when he is in Europe. In that case it might be better for him and the Pistons that he play in Europe this coming year if the Pistons can find another player to fill Cheikh's spot on the roster who could actually contribute to the Pistons this year.

Those are my observations about CS at this point.

12. buddahfan

and Stephen Hawking will not be able to run a marathon within the next 12 months except in cyberspace, no matter how hard he tries and it equally improbable that he could complete one in a non motorized wheel chair.

A brilliant individual who continues daily to fight his dreadful disease and the whole world is better for his daily battle and his contributions that he continues to make to the human race

Stephen Hawking - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

13. buddahfan

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Samb is better than I thought he was. He has some very good basketball instincts and coordination and a really nice looking mid range J. He rebounds above the rim and keeps the ball high, and always dunks with two hands. The only drawback right now is strength and conditioning, which is fixable, especially with Arnie Kander. I see no problem bringing him over for some d-league development. Samb is the epitome of a low-risk high-reward type of investment.

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

He is weak, but he fights. Our other choice of who to play in the rotation is Mohammed right now. Mohammed is just as weak, and does not even give effort to stay near the basket. The slightest push, and Mohammed comes flying far from the basket and any chance of a rebound.

Since we have to have some center in the rotation, I say play Samb. This does not mean he has to play a whole lot. Maybe 7 to 10 minutes a game. Just enough to make the other team think we have a tall center they have to worry about when they shoot. Keep them looking over their shoulder a bit.

16. mikhail1973

I agree 100%.

17. mikhail1973

Samb is slow. His decision making lags behind. He is late to react on defense. He really can't score unless he's open. He's got no post up game. He has no offense outside 6 feet unless there's no opponent within 20 ft of him. He's plain not ready. He needs to go play in NBDL.

18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

right. Talk of him in the rotation is premature but on the roster...its not a stretch seeing as our other option is to buy him out of his next contract.

19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

its part of the reason for the 15 man roster so you could carry players that were projects. only 12 can be active for any game anyways.

20. Oracle

Oracle First Round Draft Pick

He's not looking as good as he did last year, but the summer league is a gurads league.

Big men aren't generally the focus, however, I will say the Pistons do a better job than most keeping it distributed pretty good.