1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Samb speculations

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Jul 9, 2007.

1. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

Having seen 3 of the SL games I have a slightly different view of Samb. He is very, very young and has only been playing any kind of basketball for 4 years. While he lacks the strength and aggression to play in the NBA now, he does have some nice skills. He has a nice high release jumper that is very accurate from 10' to 12'. He gets pretty good rebound position and looks like he could be a shot blocker. I asked Terry Porter about him today and he said that Samb is not used to his extra 40 pounds and still thinks of himself as only 195 pounds and thus is not used to moving people out of the way. Terry is not sure what Joe has in mind for Samb but thinks he could be something after he learns more...gets stronger and just gets more experience. I think he is farther ahead at this point than Darko was 2 years ago. And I give him a chance to be a solid center in a couple of years.

2. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Krista Jahnke has an article about Samb's future.
    Sit-ups and push-ups? :confused:

3. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

We can't ship him some dumbbells or a nautilus?

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

PISTONS: ‘Great Week’

Bam.

I didn't think it would happen.

(apparently, they are signing Samb so that he can utilize the D-League).

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Wow, huge news. If we have these 6 young guys, basically filling positions 1~5 for development, I'm starting to feel really good about next season.

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

What about Ack?? Is he in or out, if he accepts the offer sheet, then Joe is pretty much forced to let somebody walk.

7. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    These are fine news indeed. Samb is going to stay here and Arnie will get him stronger. He'll play against some real competition in NBDL. Mejia looks to stick around. I wonder if he'll get any playing time with Pistons.

8. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

I like the move. Makes a lot of sense all the way around...especially if Samb had signed a longer term extension with the Spanish club that would have cost us a buyout later.

Sammy waaaay exceeded expectations. There was that talk that his selection was purely a favor for an agent. Maybe so, but Joe seems to find a lot of value in the 2nd round, so it seems unlikely he would be so frivolous with a pick.

9. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

I have a feeling the Delfino move was to clear space for Grant Hill, but now it all works out, b/c now we have space for all the youth... man when they say youth mov't they dont mess around

10. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

All true and he will get to play for Ken Davison

I think he looks a bit like Flip, at least in this picture

[​IMG]

NBA Development League: Kent Davison Named Head Coach of Fort Wayne’s NBA D-League Team

Cheikh will also get the opportunity to continue working with HOF center Dave Cowens, whom he worked with during the SL.

:hoops:

11. Oracle

Oracle First Round Draft Pick

You can say that again, I couldn't be more pleased.

Well, that's a lie, if it means that Hunter is carring a clipboard, and a trade of Nazr & Murray for a real center, I could be even more pleased.

But I'll take what I can get :) .

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I am not impressed yet. In Saunder's first season, he played Darko and Arroyo extensively in the preseason, plus Delfino was getting some major burn as well. We started out hot, and soon were looking for 70 wins. But by game 14, guess what. No more Darko playing. By midseason, despite Arroyo being among the league leaders in the combination of assists per minunte and assist to turnover ratio (only Billups had comparable numbers) Arroyo was out of favor. Delfino fell out of the rotation by the playoffs. We limped into the playoffs with about half a team compared to what we started with. I won't for a moment, this time, underestimate Flip's ability to destroy a good situation. And I wish Dumars would not make the same mistake. All I can say to Dumars right now is live and learn. I hope he learns real quick. At the first sign of conivery by Flip, out he goes.

Oh, and lets not forget, it was not just the young players. A very capable Dale Davis was simply never brought down from the shelf to use.

13. Stereodave

Stereodave First Round Draft Pick

Signing Samb is great news. He will develop much faster in Ft Wayne than overseas. Pistons brass obviously liked his summer league performance enough to make a commitment.

I am very excited about this team five years from now. Win Now and Win Later!:)

14. linwood

linwood All-Star

I want to be the first person in Seattle, Washington to have a Samb Mad Ants jersey.

15. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

And that's just one example. All signs indicate that Joe has made his expectations clear to Flip. First with the season recap interview where he called out the entire organization and promised changes. Now with the signing of all of the kids. Only Joe knows how long (or short) Flip's leash is this year and Flip is going to have to reinvent himself if he is going to make it to the end of the year.

That said, Joe's plan is now crystal clear. Young legs are here to support our aging starting 5. Energy, excitement, mistakes - everything that comes with playing rookies and young guys in the NBA. And hopefully by the end of the year this is a team that is getting better every day and will fight to win every battle (big and small).

16. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

NBA ROUNDUP: Samb stays a Piston

:hoops:

17. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I wouldn't be surprised is Lindsey and his expiring contract are packaged, shipped, bought out, then returns as part of the staff. (or roster at vet min)

18. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I'll be the second.