1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Sammy Mejia waived

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Oct 29, 2007.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What is the point of having Dupree on the team? Is there any scenario in which he could possibly be used?

Couldn't we have just gone with 14 on the roster and saved the $?

2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Last year Dupree was given a 2year GUARANTEED contract, we owed him the money whether he was cut or not and his salary was going to count against the books, cut or not. It seems as if Joe ALWAYS gives players 2 year guaranteed contracts to give them a sense of security and loyalty.

3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I sure wish he had given Nazmo a two year contract.

Actually one year would have been better or no years would have been best. LOL

:hoops:

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It certainly doesn't hurt a team to have an athletic, hard-working guy with a good attitude as the 15th man. It's less than $1 million that we're talking about.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I mean this in all seriousness, Darvin filled that role a helluvalot better than Dupree. I honestly feel that is the best 15th man a team can have. Think about it, you have 15 players, 2 got to the d-league (youth devlopment), 12 suit up, leaving a player in a suit jacket and jeans. That player needs to not just sit there but have a presence, get the team excited etc etc....nobody does that better than Darvin.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bo Outlaw is pretty good in that role too.

I guess I'd rather see that spot go to a guy like Sammy who can move to the D-League, learn the Pistons playbook, grow in the system, etc.

Acker perhaps? Just somebody with a little possibility of upside.

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe D obviously concluded that Mejia doesn't have enough upside to keep around.

Darvin Ham was never a 15th man for the Pistons. He actually suited up and played in over half of the games.

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

And that WAS the problem. Actually, on 2nd thought, we won a 'ship that year...hmmmm. ANY-WHO Darv played spot mins, literally, like the last 30 secs of a qtr from time to time, or when LB was trying to make a point (or forgot to take hi smedication and/or where his depends). Darv is aGREAT cheerleader and practice player, Darvin would do a better job of toughening up AJ in practice.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I liked it when Brown used guys like Ham to make a point.

I'm a big believer in always putting players in the game who want to be there. When the starters are bored, put in the bench. When the bench is not bringing it, put in the Ham.

10. buddahfan

Mejia returns to Mad Ants.

Lee:

U must be smiling on this one. LOL

PISTONS CORNER: Stuckey: Hand's healing

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Absolutely. I would love to have Mejia playing backup small forward, while being our 3rd point guard. (Behind Billups and Stuckey)

In case anyone forgot, Mejia was about our best rebounder in pre-season. He defends better than Afflalo, and that is saying alot. He handles the ball well enough to play point. Shooting is not his strength, and yet he can shoot ok.

To anyone who thinks Mejia and Afflalo are too similar - try looking at them side by side. Mejia is the much wider shouldered player, much more capable of playing defense against small forwards.

12. buddahfan

Assuming his ankle is okay, he now has his opportunity. Hopefully he will show enough to replace Herrmann on the roster.

13. buddahfan

14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

shhhhhh you know your going to fuel the fire here..... lol

I do hope the best for him, but not sure it will be with the pistons were just to loaded just now.

15. buddahfan

Like Lee, I liked Mejia's game a lot this summer.

Over the summer he added bulk to his 6'7" 220 lb frame.

He is strong, aggressive, and a good defender, who can knock down an occasional three.

He can get to the free throw line better than any of our small forwards including Tay.

Hayes and Herrmann have both pretty much maxed out. Both were let go/traded by not too good teams. I really don't see much if any upside to either of these guys. Their one good quality is that both can get hot and put up a bunch of points in a hurry, but they can also go cold for long periods. I really don't see either of them as complete players.

Mejia on the other hand has loads of potential and is in my opinion not to far away from being good enough to sit among the chosen 12. He needs more seasoning and an improved shot.

I could see him playing for us next year as a backup to Tay. By next year we will have gone through the rookie growth pains of Stuckey and AA.

Next year we could absorb AJ and Mejia into our rotation and I can visualize both of them contributing meaningful, minutes next year.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    The only thing worth remembering is that this is an offense-oriented league and everyone's numbers are inflated to some degree.

18. buddahfan

He is not as tall or fluid as AJ, not does he have AJ's hops, but from what I have seen he is definitely stronger and not just by a little bit.

19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

you arn't ready to make him a rotation player quite yet though.... I wish we had kept him instead of dupree and that he was playing like he is now in fort wayne under piston contract.... just afraid how many posts we'll get weekly telling us how much better we would be with him being the primary backup to prince.... fingers crossed for something like that in the future, but if he looks to good down there somebody else is going to give him a shot.

20. buddahfan