Sammy Mejia waived

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Oct 29, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I think it is swept not sweeped.

:hoops:
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Technically, you are correct....
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

But we are not casual fans. We're here everyday... even in the summer.

If the dude keeps scoring 20+ points per game in the D-league, then someone will pick him up.

I think that Joe probably determined that we have enough youth on the team for one coach to handle. He knew that Dupree was already owed money and wouldn't cause any noise (from him or fans) by sitting in a suit every game. So, it may not have had much to do with Mejia's ability. Samb got the nod because he is a rarer commodity, not because he is more skilled.
  4. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I believe it is skilt...

:stirthepot: :MusicBigGrin:
  5. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Can you have a roster with TOO Much talent? Is that possible?

Does it become a challenge of managing minutes or managing egos?

Can you have too much talent because the typical NBA player has toomuch ego?

Would we really waive a good or future star because we already have too much talent? Doesn't sound right too me.
  6. buddahfan

Even though it may seem obvious.

Right now the Mad Ants have the rights to Sammy Mejia

How this translates into the Pistons ability to resign him I don't know but I am attempting to find out.

Injury, call-up has Ants in flux | The Journal Gazette

7. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    These are old news. I'm sure Mejia would jump on an opportunity to sign with any NBA team.
  8. BillLaimbeer

Right now, there are 20 guys averaging more points per game than Mejia. Will all those guys get picked up, too?
  9. buddahfan

It may be that he is indeed able to sign with any NBA team. I am just not convinced of that at this point because we to my recollection we waived him when he was injured.

How and when did the Mad Ants acquire the rights to Mejia and what about his guaranteed contract?

1. Did they acquire his rights when we waived him?

2. Didn't we waive him when he was injured"

3. It looks like we may have been paying his contract until the Mad Ants signed him? (see quote above).

4. As a result of his being waived while he was injured it seem like from the quote above that he lost his partially guaranteed contract and all the money that when with it because he was waived while he was hurt and subsequently signed by the Mad Ants, a professional team. What kind of guaranteed contract is that?

5. How does this affect our salary cap?

This may seem straight forward to everyone else but to me there are still a bunch of unanswered questions regarding our rights, if any to Mejia and his being waived and its affect on our salary cap.

To my way of thinking what has complicated this matter is that he was waived by us while he was injured with a partially guaranteed contract and the Mad Ants, why them?, wound up with his rights at that time.

NBA Salary Cap FAQ

10. BillLaimbeer

11. buddahfan

Except the right to have to pay him until when? Until the Mad Ants signed him and as a result Mejia lost hundreds of thousands of dollars in a contract that was guaranteed through Jan 10th? That makes no sense to me. The rule is that the team that waives a player with a partially guaranteed contract when that player is injured must pay his salary until Jan 10th or until he is picked up by another professional team regardless of the league.

If we waived Mejia when he wasn't injured then I would agree with you.

So maybe we did in fact waive him when technically he wasn't hurt. But if that is the case then why wasn't he signed by the Mad Ants or another D league team when we waived him? Because he wasn't good enough to play in the D league. Highly unlikely. The fact is that he didn't sign with the Mad Ants when we waived him because he was hurt and the in the D league you can't carry players that are not able to play because of injury.

It just seems to me that waiving a player with a partially guaranteed contract who somehow winds up with his rights being obtained by your D league team who subsequently signs him, doesn't make it so clear cut, at least to me.

People keep saying that we lost all rights to him. I am not convinced because no one has brought a link that proves that point.

When and how did the Mad Ants obtain the rights to him? When we waived him?

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

How many of them are also leading their teams in rebounding?
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The Pistons have no rights to Mejia. The Mad Ants do, but only as far as D-Leauge rules go. When he was cut by the Mad Ants, he was quite free to sign over in Europe, or anywhere else, just not another D-League team.

Mejia was paid in full the half a contract that he had guaranteed from the Pistons. His salary from the Mad Ants is on top of that. Compared to a lot of later draft picks, Mejia is doing fine financially. I am sure he feels he owes the Pistons some loyalty for that. Hopefully, if he gets an offer from another team, he will give Joe Dumars a chance to match. I for one don't want to see Mejia play that lockdown D against us.
  14. BillLaimbeer

Eight.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

And how many of those eight have a J in their name?
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

So eight guys are averaging 20 points and leading their teams in rebounding Down in the D-League. So how many of them can play NBA defense? Mejia can, and very very well at that. Oh, and how many of them happen to be above average ball handlers. Mejia is.
  17. buddahfan

How may of them played for that high school basketball powerhouse, The Storm King School?

[​IMG]

Please wait...

18. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

How many NBA games has Mejia played? I am not talking summer league and preseason. Has he played this lock down D in an actual NBA regular season game?

If this guy is so darn good why isn`t he on an NBA roster?
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If he's not good, then why did Joe sign him to a contract?

The Pistons were obviously not sure if he was good or not. They had to choose between him and Dupree, and most were surprised to see Dupree get the roster spot.

They are plenty of good players that get lost in the crowd once they fail to sign with a team out of the draft. Ben Wallace is a good example.

I thought we should have kept him, but I also realize that we aren't even playing Amir, who is much more of a talent.
  20. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Obviously he played well, somewhere.

However, playing well elsewhere does not make one an NBA player. There are several basketball players that play well in Europe, college, high school you name it, that don`t quite cut it in the NBA.

I understand your point that an NBA GM will never know unless he drafts and/or signs that player.

So, perhaps Mejia is just not talented enough to play in the NBA, i guess time will tell.