San Antonio March 14th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'March 2008' started by Dlev59, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Folks I want AA and AJ to play as well as anyone else, but we just beat the Spurs for crying out loud!!!!

Would it have been better to play those two and lose?
  2. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Pop didn't seem to think the win was so important for his team.
    I heard him snoring last night, he was so relaxed after the game.:pound:
  3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I didn't see any of the game, but Theo getting 7 points and 7 boards in 13 minutes against the defending champions does seem like, um, a positive thing. One can argue that Theo is less likely to be able to produce numbers like that when it counts than Amir, but don't try to tell me that Amir would have done better than that in 13 minutes last night. It's not like Amir sat behind 13 minutes of ineptitude from Primoz. Now, admittedly, JMax barely playing and Amir DNPing is unfortunate, and we know Dice can't consistently produce if he's always playing almost 39 minutes like he did tonight.

But Dice DID get 17(!) rebounds, and combined with some pretty productive minutes for him against Philly, it looks like he might be starting to play better again (even if his jumper isn't quite back yet), so that's obviously a positive. And despite the Spurs' bench playing way more minutes than ours, our bench still outscored theirs 20-15, which was enough to make all the difference in a 4 point game.
  4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Is it just me, or does Pop look kinda sickly. He's much paler and bloated than I have seen him before.

I like the guy, hope he isn't ill...
  7. ggazoo69

From detnews:

"Saunders is using these games to see how his bench players handle playoff-type situations. Here's what he saw: Theo Ratliff had seven points and seven rebounds; Rodney Stuckey had six points and two steals, and Jarvis Hayes scored seven points in 10 minutes."

Oh really? Does this mean Amir and Aff won't be getting many playoff minutes? Paying Amir $3 mil to sit on the bench. Another great decision made by the Detroit Pistons organization. Amir should play every game. I don't care what the matchups are. He should get some burn. And, yeah, let's let Parker run rampant the whole game and make NO adjustments. Great plan.

Let's face it. It was nice to get that win last night, but if Bowen plays, Detroit doesn't win. Plain and simple. Rip was energized last night because he knew he wouldn't have to face a great defender. And Bowen is just about as tough as it gets.

Sorry for the negativity, but I'm being honest. Fred Flip-stone has 17 games to figure it out.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Best option= play them and win by more
    2nd best= play them and win by same amount
    3rd best= play them and lose
    4th best= don't play them and win
    5th best= don't play them and lose.
  9. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

That was a really good defensive battle for the most part, except for when Parker decided to attack the basket. Man, he was zooming past everyone out there. It dawned on me at one point that you never see any of our bigs try to get out in front of the circle and take the charge. What's up with that? Then I tried to think back and couldn't remember the last time I saw Tay, Dice, Sheed or even Max or Amir take a charge.

I'm pretty sure Flip wanted to use this game for clutch fourth-quarter playoff practice, so when the Spurs weren't cooperating he had the starters begin chucking 3s for a few minutes to let them back in it. Once it was tied up the starters began shooting inside the arc again, and pulled it out.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Funny you should mention this CavsTown. I often wonder the same thing. Every team has the designated charge takers..Eddie House in c town, Derek Fisher for the lakers etc. Stuckey took two charges in a game for us last week.

You don't see that many big men stand there and take the charge as they usually would be called for the blocking foul.
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Max takes charges. Not very often but he does. I recall Amir taking one or 2.

I don't really want Sheed taking charges. I'm scared everytime he falls down. He's so vital to us, and that damn ankle seems fragile. Dyess could take a charge, but he'd never get the call. The refs hate him for some reason.

I just don't think our coaching staff preaches that. It would make life easier if they did.

But hey if it ain't rough it ain't right. That's why we stopped playing AA/Amir. It got too easy to win. :gun1:
  12. Nemo

:cheerlie-GOAL: :p_welldone: :hoops: :winner_first_h4h:
  13. Nemo

Hope he's ok........Didn't see the telecast.
  14. max

max All-Star

Seems like the bench talk, namely Amir,AA, is getting a bit over the top here. Beat the champs and all some see is that Amir and AA did not play? Amir's problem is that he is only 6'9" and we need a center. Dyess was playing great so perhaps thats why he did not get into the game.

Dlev asked a good question. Would you have rather seen Amir and AA play during a loss or will you take the win over the champs?

Or would you rather have had McDyess mins cut so Amir could have played which means that we would not have had Dyess's 11 offensive boards and probably lost?

I don't care if Bowen did not play. Injuries are part of the game and we don't know what would have happened if he had.
  15. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Gotta love the judo chop to the neck by Sheed!:pound: No free chili! And even if Duncan paid for the chili, he wouldn't be able to eat it because his throat would be cut in half.

Actually I do. But I dislike them for different reasons. Millen is just completely incompetent while Flip just seems scared at times and never seems to learn from his mistakes. I actually almost feel a bit sorry for him.
  16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Amir can match up with Horry/Bonner

Define great b/c he was better in the 2nd half and not very good in the 1st. Yes he rebounded his ass off, but do you really think playing Dice 40 min will lead us to a championship?

Why do you assume that AA/Amir would mean we would lose? I know it's been awhile since the played, but when they did we were blowing people out remember?

As for Dyess, Amir can rebound too. In fact his strength is the offesnive rebound and put back.

It's a regular season game. I could cares less if win/lose. I want to win, but win in a way that's conducive to a long post-season run.

edited to add; I would be willing to put money on the fact that if AA came in SA would have never gone on that run, and had Amir gotten some burn this would've have been a 15+ win. You saw all the missed jumpshots in the 4th. Tired legs.

Even Max can't find min anymore.

Beating SA didn't really mean much in the long run. Bowen will be back. They won't play zone, and all those rebounds will disappear as will Rip.
  17. ggazoo69

Sure we do. Rip would have struggled to score like he always does against Bowen.
  18. max

max All-Star

Give the guys some porps though, thats something you would find on a Spurs forum.

lprgirl - I believe the key to a championship is finding a true defensive center which I believe we have found in Ratliff. Amir is still in development. He will get his time.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Amir's help D would be a good weapon to help stop Parker's drives.

What did this win do for us anyway?

Now that we have secured our spot in the playoffs and will likely have the 2 seed, it's time to play our game, not react to our opponent. Why on Earth was Popovich willing to utilize his crappy bench twice as much as Flip was willing to utilize ours? Did Pop not want to win?

By the way, it's not only us. Look at the Detnews reader's comments after the last story.

Pistons limit Duncan as Rip carries victory over Spurs | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

It's possible that we have a coach that is screwing up this season and nobody is stopping him.
  20. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

So, the answer to my question earlier in the thread is, yes.

You wouldn`t mind seeing a loss if AA and AJ played, but God forbid a win if they got a DNP.