1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Home San Antonio Spurs Monday, February 10, 2014

Discussion in 'February 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I was down with Loyer until the fourth quarter when he sat Monroe for Drummond. That is just more of the same.

It is nice having someone with some life on the sideline though.

Mo Cheeks always had that look on his face like he farted and got more than he bargained for.

I like the promotion of Sheed to the front bench. He might be the team president soon if Joe keeps messing up!

I felt bad for Mo Cheeks when Will Bynum checked in.

LA Dre, KGREG, basketbills and 2 others like this.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I am sure I was not the only one who ignored the "Coach fired" thread, thinking it was the usual joke. I caught on well into the game when they referred to the interim Piston coach. As you might imagine, I am quite ecstatic. Since Dumars did not initiate the move, I say he should go too.

The Pistons played much better tonight. Defensive rotations were crisp with everyone for the most part both trying their best to get to shooters, and succeeding in doing so. And amidst all that kind of trust, we got steal after steal, after steal. We won this one both inside with our bigs dominating, and with points we got off all those steals.

Back to the coaching. Obviously, you could look at this as Bynum getting benched, and the coach getting fired. Coincidence? Me, I thought the benching of Bynum was the best thing Cheeks did do this season, along with starting Pope all those games.

Singler had a decent game, as he participated more on the offensive end, and he was guarded from the gitgo in this one. But he is still weak on D, and SA kept apace with us in that first quarter largely exploiting Singler. But he also had some alert steals, and I liked that assist he got, without official credit, to Drums. I say that was a pass, not a shot. Singler topped in plus minus for this one with plus 16. Singler, with his 10 points, was one of 8 Piston players with 8 or more points in this game.

I can't believe Drums only got nine bounds. They all seemed so huge. Still, 14/9 with 3 monster blocks ain't a bad night for a 2nd year player going up a well coached SA team. Monroe got a 15/10. He is continuing to stress driving inside, though he did take one useless outside shot. Smith was simply one too many players up front for them to guard. Jennings had a fine scoring game, and 6 assists is par for a good guard against a top team.

JJ got ten solid minutes. All at power forward. As was said, this team has not made progress. Dumars has no idea who to trade, what our needs are, etc. That is on the coach, for never trying anything other than playing Singler entire games. My first hint something was different in this one was Singler not only came out of the game shortly into the 4th, he stayed off the floor for the next several minutes as the team began to gel a bit. Then I realized the coach had been fired. 2nd half, again, Singler went out for a good long time. He still started, still got starters minutes, but at least the team got a chance to play with him off the floor.

Pope played good, decent, bench minutes. And the coach noted the speed he brings to the game. This coach has a lot to do with this roster to get it optimized before the playoffs. Lets hope he begins the job in earnest. Getting Pope back on the floor is a good start.

I again do not like the return of Bynum. I do not like JJ playing at power forward. I do not like Singler being on the team. I have been glad not to see CV playing any of late. I do not like one bit that Mitchell has not gotten a strong look yet. Other things, like Billups actually playing some regular minutes, and Datome getting a real shot, along with JJ, at backup small forward minutes, needs to get done.

We are tied with Charlotte after tonight. They have us on head to head matchup, which I believe is the first tie breaker. We are shortly going to play them twice. We need to beat them and put them in the rearview mirror.

Hope returns. Go Pistons!!!!!

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The helper was definitely helping the helper in this one. That was very noticeable. They were making the spurs look old for a big chunk of the game.

del and J-Train like this.
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know if he can coach but I liked Loyer's Wayne Fontes-like enthusiasm he showed on the sidelines. He mentioned post game that he played for and coached with Bob Huggins. He got the team to play defense and play hard.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  5. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's where he met Larry Frank, our boy.

Anyways, I liked his enthusiasm. And with a young team like this, it spread. This style of basketball isn't my personal favorite, but this team plays the best that way. High energy on defense, in the passing lanes, creating fast break points, and running the floor. The first quarter looked very haphazard, but it never allowed the Spurs to get comfortable, and settle into that pick n roll game that bores people into forfeit.

Next we have the Cavs, lets hope he we don't play down to them, and we simply maul that team going into the break!

6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sheed moves up to the big boy chairs and wears a tie. Good thing too, you could hear him yelling out defensive stuff all night.

Agree with comments above - the team looked better on defense (still don't like the Bynum minutes) and it was surely nice to see the coach actually in the game and working. Maybe Mo needed a veteran team. Lots of game still to be played, but you have to feel better about last night.

7. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The Pistons would have a bigger lead at halftime if Dre did not commit the dumb 2nd foul at the beginning of the 2nd quarter. Loyer was about to let him run with Bynum which is the best PG/C combination if coach wanna play Bynum. Because of the dumb foul, Loyer has no choice but to replace Dre with Monroe. We manage to hang on until BJ came back and spark the end of 2nd quarter run for the double digit halftime lead.

Note to Loyer: Always have either Dre or Smith to pair up with Monroe when one sits. You just can't sit both Dre & Smith and have Monroe out there by himself with JJ or Jorts. And if you wanna play Bynum, put Dre in instead of Monroe.

Slippy, linwood and basketbills like this.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Best effort I've seen all season.
    I'm still amazed at all of the things that Jennings can NOT do. At what point do our bigs realize that setting a pick on the right side of Jennings is useless because he's going to cross back over to his left (in front of the rolling big) anyway, it has to be the most dysfunctional pick and roll I have ever seen in my entire life!
    Singler makes this starting unit better, he brings the skills that KCP doesn't have yet.
    Since Rodney 'Run Away Freight Train' Stuckey and Bynum are going to dominate the ball anyway- KCP looks good playing with the 2nd unit.
    I like the energy coming from the sideline and it seems as if the players responded well to it.
    And the shot distribution was superb, very well balanced.

The Panda and J-Train like this.
  9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Since Loyer may be just keeping the seat warm for the next coach, should his nickname be Placeholder?

LA Dre and linwood like this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

basketbills likes this.
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think he got the Mo/Brandon comment wrong, the two of them REALLY connected......even though Brandon still does a ton of stuff wrong.

linwood likes this.
  13. Slippy

they connected but Mo was trying to make Brandon into himself and that was killing us. Look at how he wanted Brandon to shut down the opposing PG and how well that worked.

14. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Perhaps, but there's no question that Brandon is a better PG now than he was at the start of the season.

15. Slippy

I agree but its everything else with Mo.

16. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Langlois has mentioned several times - in Milwaukee Jennngs neither watched film nor studied this game. Under Mo it was his rookie season in this departement.

17. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Alot of credit being given to Cheeks for BJ's improvement. I think the combination of Cheeks and a veteran leader like Chauncy are responsible for that. It's frustrating as a distributor when you put the ball where it needs to be, and people don't convert. Jennings work ethic (on the court, in front of the camera) has been the best on the team in the past month, IMO.

linwood likes this.
  18. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

That's been huge for us the last four games. They're starting to rotate like a NBA team. Good NBA defenses rotate well. Great NBA defenses rotate to help the helper.

Loyer urged the kids to run on every opportunity, not that they need much encouragement. What I loved, and haven't seen much of this year, is that the coach was instantly off of the bench and calling plays every time the opposing defense was able to set up in the half court, unlike Mo Cheeks, who would usually sit and stare blankly while Jennings dribbled out the shot clock. They looked like a NBA team tonight.

This team is still shallow, talent-wise. It's a six man team (the starters and Stuckey), with a few spot minute guys (KCP, JJ, Jorts, Bynum). Barring a trade, this rotation isn't going to change much for the rest of the year. You may see some Mitchell if we fall out of the playoff race, but other than that, what you see is what you're going to get.

If they can continue to defend, get into transition, and run smart sets (at least in early in the shot-clock), then they'll make the playoffs. That's really the key for this team offensively; running quality plays in the half court. If the play breaks down, then you can let Jennings and Smith go chucking. It's important that they at least look for good shots before they resort to that.

19. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

JLo went with the lineup that got Mo fired. I kind of like him though, but it may be the novelty factor.

Singler 3 starts, 3 wins.

20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like that moniker>> JLo.......