SanAntonio Feb 14 7:30PM

Discussion in 'February 2007' started by max, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I put about as much stock in +/- as I do in the "per 48 min" stat. It's great to try to make a point, but is ultimately useless in determining actual real life game-time wins and losses.

You know...I fail to see the urgency and all out tragedy in a guy who's job it is to bring the ball across half-court, hit the first guy running off a screen on either side, then run himself off the available screen on the opposite side. I've seen very few possessions this season, or any season, where Lindsey Hunter the "All Offense Killing Cancer" has failed to do this on numerous occasions.

If there is one thing Hunter does too often, it's pass the ball to the wingman a dribble to late on the break. However, he's done that his whole career and I see no reason to expect different since no coach has bothered to try and correct it.

You guys just hate Hunter for the sake of hating Hunter. This guy hasn't cost us any games. He hasn't been the sole reason that any team has laid the hammer to us and if left up to some of you, Hunter could cure AIDS tomorrow and have an entire thread torching him because he didn't cure cancer.

The guy does his job and his "ruining" an offense is just as overstated as Carlos Arroyo being the answer to our so-called "PG" woes.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Low, Hunter just lost this game for us. But besides that, are you saying you like Hunter as the backup point? If so, why didn't Flip go back to Hunter in the 2nd half for another 8 minutes of Hunter running the point? Or maybe he wanted to finally try and win the game? Anyway, you lambast us for pointing out what happened in this game, where SA went form 3 up to 15 up with Hunter at point guard. Rather than lambast us, please, by all means, defend Hunter. Tell us what he did during those 8 minutes that was so helpful, as a point guard, as the team fell way behind. Maybe it was someone else out there messing everything up. Again, seriously, we would love to hear your opinion about how those 8 minutes went.
  3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

hunter was one of our best players in the SA game along with delfino. you're statement that he lost the game for us is the most blatantly incorrect statement i've heard in a long time besides all of your terrible ones about darko.
  4. nenerojer

nenerojer First Round Draft Pick

Hello to all ....I have seen the game on NBA TV and the Palace was with many free places and little warm.....of usual for the teams hosts it is a...hell

Sorry for my english
  5. max

max All-Star

Yes, except for weekends it has been a lot less crowded this season. It kind of surprised me with SanAntonio being in town.
  6. Pwn Toney

I really didn't want to justify this with a response, however, this is just plain silly.

Yes, Hunter was responsible for guarding Duncan, Ginobili, Finley, Oberto, Barry, Bowen, and EVERYONE else on the Spurs roster along with Parker.

Yes, it was Hunter's defensive schemes that keep us playing a lame zone and when we were not in a zone, that kept us chasing the ball instead of staying at home with their defensive assignments.

Yes, it was Hunter that, without the ball mind you, forced the other Piston players to continue shooting jumpers instead of driving the ball to the basket.

Yes, I have again, seen the light. Sans Hunter....We are CHAM-PEENS OF THE WERLD!
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I guess Lindsey's shooting in this game shouldn't count (one of the best on the team)... or that he did a much better job of containing Parker than Chauncey... the blinders are definitely on.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Hunter, as our backup point, hurt us. He did ok paired with CB in the backcourt. Please try to separate the two things. Hunter the player, ok. Hunter the point guard, lousy. And his inability to run the point is mightily interfering with the develpopment of a bench. (Or you could say, Flip's refusal to use a point guard to backup Billups is hurting the team's chances at having a decent bench come playoff time. We have two guys on the team, Blalock and Delfino, who can do the job.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No, it was Hunter's complete ineptness as a point guard that left our offense in complete disorder, meaning SA got easy bucket after easy bucket off our poor shot selection. When an offense struggles like that, the other team does not have to spend much energy defending. Instead, they got their eyes set on easy scores the other way when we cough up the ball, or shoot with no defenders back, or give up long rebounds to trigger fast breaks for them. By the way, you can leave out the "silly" stuff. Please stick with basketball related arguments if you don't mind.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This ain't a Darko thread, so I won't go there. Other than saying I am wrong, can tell me whose fault it was we fell so far behind so quickly while Hunter ran the point at the end of the 1st quarter and start of the 2nd?
  11. raw36

raw36 First Round Draft Pick Forum Donor

I feel this is a loss that can help the team in the long-term (can I call it a "good loss"?), because it reminds everyone, Joe D, Flip+staff, players, that the team cannot get complacent and cocky (like what happened last year) after 8 straight wins. There's still so much work to be done: defense, rebounding, game-time adjustments etc.

We are rolling but.... Miami is getting healthy. The Lebrons might get Bibby, the Bulls Gasol. The elite Western teams are just too strong right now.
  12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

if you were at the game you'd know that it was the starters' fault we never were in this game.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The starters were plus for the game. The starters got off to a slow start, but they fought their way back to just 3 down in the 1st quarter. We had the momentum going our way up until the moment Hunter stepped onto the court.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

No one was plus for the Pistons in this game.

PopcornMachine's GameFlow - San Antonio @ Detroit

Tayshaun barely played with Hunter in this game and was -8, even with a +5 at the end with the starters.

If you ask me, Tayshaun did not do his part. His role and minutes are much larger than Lindsey's and Tay did nothing well in this one.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good try Micro, looking at popcorns you could be fooled. But the reality is that "barely" translates into 3 minutes, during which, you guessed it, we were negative 4. So Tay, minus his minutes with Hunter, was minus 4 for the game. Hardly worth mentioning. But hey, I think the discussion is really about Hunter at point. As a point guard, its not just this game, Hunter is heavily, I mean really, really, heavily minus, for the whole season. One game you can call a fluke, not a season. He does not help our D, and kills our O.
  16. roscoe36

lee, you have posted that Hunter has played good D this season.

I agree about his effect on the offense.

Btw, -4 for tay against a shorter, less athletic player is nothing to excuse.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I said he does not help on D, compared to with him not in the game. The Pistons, being a good defensive team, set a high standard. Hunter is a good defender, just not someone we actually need to be a good defensive team. Flip Murray is not the only choice we have to play backup point besides Hunter. Both Delfino and Blalock will deliver plenty of D, and actually run the plays.

As for minus 4 in one game, you know as well as I that such a small statistical sampling, with a player being that close to break even, means nothing. Tay certainly did not have a good game, but it was not that bad to where it prevents us from winning this game.
  18. roscoe36

I'm speaking specifically of this game. Tay let us down. In this game.
  19. Pwn Toney

First, save the reprimands for your kids. Second, I believe the "silly stuff" was an item of your own manufacturing. Stop posting "silly stuff" and I'll stop calling you out for it. Now try sticking to reality related arguments if YOU don't mind.

"..how YOU doin?"

It's nice to see that Hunter is solely responsible for the TEAM'S shot selection. I'll keep that in mind when Chauncey is launching at will. I should not be upset with Billups or Prince or Hamilton for their choice of shot. I should remember that Lindsey Hunter has Jedi Mind Tricked them all into shooting poorly.

Oh, and Lee, these are not the droids you are looking for...
  20. roscoe36

Boy, ain't it great that we have such a fine forum full of posters who can disagree without bloodshed? :D