Saunders Pulled A Dungy Last Night

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Feb 7, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I guess Saunders has learned some class stuff from his former roommate. The Pistons could have easily run it up last night and beat the hapless leprechauns by 30 or more. By why unnecessarily throw salt on a wound of a team that is already hurting big time.

Three cheers for the Pistons coach and players last night.

C-Webb sure does make a difference. I just keep having these fantasies that C-Webb and Sheed are three years younger. Oh well, lets take what we got and go with it all the way to the Finals this year.

http://www.wzzm13.com/sports/pro_basketball/basketballsports_article.aspx?storyid=68970

:hoops:

2. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I don't think that little showing of mercy will go very far. Doc won't be pacing the Celtic sideline for much longer.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons were on the verge of burying the Celtics last night. They were ahead by 24 points (97-73) with 9:22 left in the game. It looked like the starters were going to get some rest, but it got ugly during the next 3 minutes. Boston went on a 13-0 run and cut the lead (97-86) to 11. Saunders was forced to put three of the starters (Billups, Webber, Prince) back in.

Some people think this 13-0 run was all Lindsey Hunter's fault for bogging down the offense. What exactly happened during those 3 minutes and who was to blame?

The Suspects: Hunter, Hamilton, Delfino, Maxiel, McDyess

Piston Offensive Possessions:
    1. Delfino makes a terrible lob pass for a turnover.
    2. Delfino is credited with another turnover, but Green simply ripped the ball out of Hamilton's hands. I blame Hamilton for this TO.
    3. Maxiel missed a wide open 8-footer.
    4. Maxiel missed a wide open 2-footer.
    5. Hamilton traveled.
    6. McDyess had his shot blocked by Perkins. This wasn't McDyess' fault since he received the ball with a couple of seconds on the shot clock. For most of the possession, Hunter simply stood at the top of the key and dribbled looking for someone to pass the ball to.
    Piston Defensive Possessions:
    1. Perkins hooks over McDyess. Perkins got position down low much too easy.
    2. Telfair fouled by Hunter. Poor defense by Hunter.
    3. Telfair made a layup. This was caused by Hamilton not getting back on defense.
    4. Rondo is fouled by Maxiel. This was caused by Hondo blowing past Hunter and Maxiel trying to help.
    5. Rondo hits a runner in the lane. Hamilton simply fell asleep on defense.
    6. Jefferson blows by McDyess, who is forced to foul him.
    So, who is to blame for this 13-0 run? Well, there were 6 Piston offensive possessions with no scores and 6 defensive possessions in which the Celtics scored. That makes 12 possessions and my score card looks like this:
    • Hamilton's fault 4 times (2 offense, 2 defense)
    • Hunter's fault 3 times (1 offense, 2 defense)
    • Maxiel's fault 2 times (2 offense)
    • McDyess' fault 2 times (2 defense)
    • Delfino's fault 1 time (1 offense)
    Analysis: Hamilton was the biggest culprit for this Celtics 13-0 run. I blame this partly on Flip Saunders. Rip has been playing the entire 1st and 3rd quarters and the first half of the 2nd and 4th quarters. I don't see why Rip needs to play two stretches of 18 consecutive minutes. He played sloppy and lazy during this 13-0 run.

Hunter only bogged down the offense one time. The other offensive mistakes were careless turnovers (Delfino and Hamilton) and missed shots (Maxiel). It was actually Hunter's defense that contributed more to the Celtics run than his offense. Hunter doesn't have the foot speed to keep up with some of the younger guards these days, especially if he plays extended minutes.

Even in a half-court, slow-tempo game, you can see how quickly a team can go on a 12 or 13 point run. One team scores 6 straight buckets and the other team misses 6 straight buckets. These kind of runs surely make games more interesting, but definitely stress out the coaches and fans of the team on the short end...

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That's a fantastic report Bill. I'm gunna guess you re-watched this at least 2.5 times.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Nice job Lamb. Without your analysis, Lindsay would have taken 100% of the blame instead of the 25% that he deserves.

When looking at a short run like this, there is going to be a certain amount of probability involved, since it is a small sample. It is possible that we just went on a bad run, which could have also happened with our best players in there. However, when you break it down like that, it becomes obvious that it wasn't just bad luck. We were getting sloppy. Maxiells missed shots are not the same. Those are just a % thing.

However, the Celts didn't need much luck on their end since all of their points were in the paint, or on free throws.

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Props Laim... but no sense letting the facts get in the way :^)

7. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Vaya con Dios, El DelfĂ­n.

8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

The Pistons should have put there foot on the Celtics neck. We need to have a hunter mentality. This is not the Pee Wee league. Your job is to play ball and if the Celtics can't put up a fight and make shots to keep the game close so be it ,blow them out by 40.:hoops:

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Like others said, interesting read and good analysis Bill. Now we want analysis like this from you by noon of the day following each game.

If there is a goat or someone who deserves some or all the criticism, we will know if it is Hunter or not. Once this analysis is done, it should be faxed to the Pistons coaching office so that Flip can get a better understanding on how to get our offense in gear when it boggs down, pinpoint who the lazy defender is and more importantly stop uncontested runs before they reach double digits.

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Actually, I'm going to start text messaging the Pistons coaching staff during the game when I think a bench substitution is needed.

I thought it was strange last night when people were talking about the bench playing poorly so they had to bring back the starters. As it turned out, it actually was one of the starters (Rip) that was playing poorly during the Celtics run.