Scalping the Red Wings

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by detteam, Jul 19, 2008.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

Doesn't seem right to me.

Report: Florida to charge $25 more for fans to see Wings | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press
  2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Supply and demand. Sometimes it sucks, but I would be hard pressed to give it up.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It never sucks. The market works.

I'm ok with this. What, are we supposed to feel bad that it costs more to see the greatest team in the league? Should they be priced like Columbus and Edmonton?

No way Jose!

This is pretty smart on the part of the Panthers. Obviously they know their own market, and are smart enough to recognize that the Wings are a big road draw for them.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Pretty good idea. Let's say ownership is going to be really fair, and they charge MORE for the better teams / bigger draw; they then take the extra revenue to give discount on other weaker teams when attendance struggles. Very idealistic, but an idea none the less.
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Oh, believe me, I agree. I just meant that it sucks if you are a long-standing Wings fan in that market and now have to pay more to see them play. But overall I think it's a non-issue. Go online to any secondhand ticket website and you will find that when any elite teams come to town, prices go up. It's only natural.
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

I completely agree with supply & demand...it's a fact of life in economic reality. The surcharge may be a good thing for small market franchises.

My question is: Why can teams and online vendors do it, but the guy selling tickets outside the venue gets busted? Is what he does any different?
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Yeah, he don't pay taxes!!!!!!!
  8. detteam

detteam All-Star

:pound: Okay...but there are plenty of people that don't pay taxes and don't have the cops going after them.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

haha, so you think!

It basically comes down to regulation, which is how business wrangles small competitors (like scalpers) out of the market. Scalpers are discouraged because they compete with the box office for availability.