Scoring Droughts

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Sep 18, 2005.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If we're in a scoring drought why don't we throw in Dice' with Sheed, and Ben. If we miss shots they'll crash those offensive boards, and get us some easy points.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Matchups.

Who do you sub in when all 3 are on the floor and two guys need a breather? Darko and D Square?

And is it really a good idea to keep Tayshaun off of the court?
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

All i'm trying to say is that we don't use those 3 at the same time that much so that would have to cause the opponents defense to change. If you keep throwing the same players on the court, or if you keep running the same plays it will get a lot harder to score the longer the game goes om.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Execution. Good plays are good plays. It comes down to execution.

Just because you have 3 rebounders on the court does not mean the other team won't grab rebounds. It doesn't work like that.

It would be a good "gimmick" lineup, but Sheed gets too many ticky tack fouls to play the 3. Dice is even worse.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Stop reminding me of Game 7, but don't you think this would work out if Sheed' got in the post then we could have 2 guys getting some points inside. I'm also not saying we should have this line up all the time of course we keep our normal line up out most of the time. The only reason I thought of this anyways is because in the 04 East Finals Indiana started Austin Croshere instead of Reggie Miller in Game 4, and we end up getting killed by this guy. So all I am saying is that the Pistons can sometimes sub in Dyess for Tay maybe at the end of some qaurters.
  6. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

That is one of the things that gets alot on attention on the Piston's various forums. I think one of the solutions would have been to play that backup PG that Joe traded for back in December of last year. What was his name again? Oh yeah, it was the guy that dished out 7 assists in 10 minutes in the ECF. I sure wish someone could remember his name. The Pistons played some pretty good basketball with him running the PG spot while CB shifted to the SG spot. I think he had a pretty good chemistry with this other bench guy, McDyess. He seemed to run the pick and roll with that guy pretty well. Damn, that little PG was pretty good at creating for his teammates. I wonder if LB knows his name because for the life of me I can't seem to remember.

DOES ANYONE THINK LB REMEMBERS HIS NAME ????
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

LOL Jackattaq,
    I get your point... Arroyo can create offense
    It would be even better if he started scoring more himself to keep em honest.
    It was like teams were starting to play him to pass near the end.
    Arroyo is one of the many facinating stories this year... I can't think of a year when there was more anticipation with unknown factors.

Oh yeah Hitman, I could see us using that big lineup if we needed to make up some scoring near the end of the game... especially against Indiana

Sounds like we'll be seeing several different units with Saunders.

Two weeks till TC!
  8. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Micro

I guess LB's style really grates at me because he ALWAYS went with Lindsay Hunter. Hunter may be a great defender but, honestly the guy kills the offense so badly that his couple of great defensive stops aren't worth the trade-off.

I watch tons of NBA basketball during the season. I've had NBA League Pass the last two season (best money I've ever spent on entertainment). I watched alot of UTAH basketball (I like Memo and AK-47). Arroyo can play, He can shoot, he runs the pick and roll with good precision. He can get to the rim. He can create for himself and others. I remember right after the trade he came to Detroit on quite a little tear. I loved the look of Arroyo at PG and Billups at SG when they would sub out RIP. I never understood why we didn't see more of that. It allowed Billups to get going offensively. I know that Hunter is a "fan favorite" but come on, that guy kills the Pistons offensively EVERYTIME he enters the game. He jacks up ill-advised shots, he can't pass, doesn't feed the post and is weak at the Pick and Roll. We had Arroyo the whole 2nd half of the season. LB just plain refused to implement him into our offense. He could have been HUGE off the bench with McDyess. That kid can pass.

I think that Arroyo should have a role under Flip. I also think that Arroyo will feel more at ease NOT PLAYING for a "taskmaster" type coach (first Sloan then LB). I like Arroyo's game and he can shoot. I think LB got into his head so much that he became "afraid" to shoot or make a mistake.

Hopefully the young guys make huge strides and can give our VETERANS (our bread and butter) plenty of rest. I would love to see a 9-10 man rotation for the season and hopefully find a few "gems" that can be used during our next run for the TITLE.

GO PISTONS GO !!!!:usa2:
  9. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

a few ideas here on how to solve the problem

1. dont overplay, tired players easily become injured players or lazy (not that our guys are lazy but not getting your hands up on d puts you awfull close

2. dont put arroyo and lindsey out together arroyo is not a sg and lindsey cant handle a trap as well as arroyo

3. everyone needs to rebound not just ben

4. try to use mismatches in our favor that is why it is a mismatch

5. keep players invovled feed the hot hand but let people handle the rock so they know it might come to them not i passed it but you were not expecting it crap

6. manage the clock last second shots are usualy poor percentage

7. keep our fans on their feet and their fans in their seats the crowd is a weapon nothing like a billups 3 or a ben dunk to keep the crowd happy
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

It's number 4 that killed us against the Spurs we should have used the Prince more.
  11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

The thing that may end up hurting us this year in terms of scoring droughts is that we don't have the sparkplug off the bench like Anthony Goldwire. Can we still pick up a player like this? There are some out there. Rodney White may be a guy who could fill this role...and he is versatile...he can play all five positions. Any thoughts on jumping into the bidding war on RW?
  12. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

How crazy would that be? Getting our number 5 or was it 9 pick back for nothing. What a crazy world we live in. :)
  13. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

i wholeheartedly agree. Arroyo and Dice were running the pick and roll to perfection at times during the playoffs. then LB decided that Arroyo was not to play anymore. so much for letting guys earn their minutes....

i absolutely can't wait until next season and Flip lets our bench flourish.i predict scoring droughts to become a thing of the past with our deeper team and a coach who may actually use this depth.
  14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'm not agreeing with the original poster to use that combination in scoring droughts, but i wouldn't mind seeing the 3 of them on the court together once in a great while just to throw the other team off