Seattle files lawsuit against SuperSonics' attempt to move

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Sep 25, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

It is getting very interesting.

Seattle files lawsuit against SuperSonics' attempt to move - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

:hoops:
  2. linwood

linwood All-Star

When I first moved to Seattle, I sided with the Sonics. Being a basketball fan, I was willing to commit a few extra dollars (mine and others) to keep the franchise here. However, after reading about the negotiation tactics of the ownership group, I tend to side with the city now.
  3. buddahfan

Stern says SuperSonics' departure from Seattle is an 'inevitability at this point' - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

4. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think the relocation is contingent on the willingness of the OKC citizens to pay top tax dollars for a new stadium for a bottom feeding team.

Despite what Stern says, I don't think it's over yet.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's such a shaft for the locals to have to pony up the money for new arenas, and then they become profit mechanisms for private groups or companies.

You'd think people would smarten up and say "no", build it yourself.
  6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I think its always a tough process to decide how to pay for a new stadium, but the owners really need to pony up most the time for the brunt of the costs... The city/region has alot of costs they have to pay either way, roads and such.

If the owners are forced to build there own stadiums I bet there alot more likely to keep there teams at home too LOL
  7. buddahfan

I think it is over is Seattle for the Sonics.

If Stern is saying it is over, it is over.

The question is when they move to Oklahoma City do they change their nickname from Sonics (ostensibly for sonic boom due to Boeing being in Seattle) to Oilmen or maybe Wildcatters.

I like that

Oklahoma City Wildcatters.

8. linwood

linwood All-Star

It ain't over.

Bennett won't get the 500 million dollars of public money for the new arena. Right now, I think he is racing the New Orleans Hornets to relocate to OKC. If Seattle wins their lawsuit, then the Hornets will be able to move to a more desirable location at least 1 year before the Sonics.
  9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It would be an outrage if the owners of the Sonics are able to hijack the team in this way. I have to admit, I haven't been paying much attention to this situation until recently. I guess I just assumed that Seattle didn't care very much about it. After reading these articles, I am sickened by the likes of the current owners, the former owner, and David Stern.

ESPN Page 2 - The Sports Guy: Save the Sonics mailbag

ESPN Page 2 - The Sports Guy: Seeking solutions for Sonic gloom

I have never been one to rip on Stern, since I think overall he has done an excellent job of running the league, even though I disagree with some things he has done. But this is an absolute abomination for him to stand aside and not do what he can to save a 41-year-old basketball franchise. I guess after reading about the whole thing, I finally realize that this could happen to any franchise. Imagine Davidson gets older and finally sells the team, or dies, and then the team gets sold to a group of real estate agents from Wyoming or Las Vegas or Iowa or something who then proceed to demand a HALF BILLION dollars from the city (that's extortion) to keep them from leaving. I think that should give most of us cold sweats just from thinking about it. With all the economic trouble Detroit has been in, if the Pistons were to be stolen away like that, imagine the psychological devastation that would be left behind.

I think something that has not been talked about very much, but that could potentially have a positive effect, is if we and other fans of other sports teams write to OUR OWN owners, and urge/demand/beg them to use their clout to speak out against this from happening. If the owners of the NBA get the message that their "constituents" aren't happy about this, then maybe they would be more likely to speak out about it. I feel like this topic needs more discussion. What are your thoughts?
  10. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Lawyer, estate agents and city council, what better could we expect from them ?
  11. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

The best model in my opinion is the one that has the state paying for all of the infrastructure improvements so that all that is left for the owner to do is build the arena. Any arena that is built with public funds should be owned by the government that foot the bill. If the team is successful, then they can sell to the owner and make a profit. If not then they can pursue new team owners with deeper pockets to improve the product and possibly, buy the arena.
  12. roscoe36

I'd rather that public funds are never spent to facilitate private enterprise.

The Pistons built the Palace on their own, taking enormous risks and running way over budget.

This is the way to do it.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

It was unusual to see the Silverdome built in the mid 70s for 55 million dollars. It seats 80,000 people. Then the Palace opened up less than a decade later for the same 55 million, and it seats just a few more than 20,000. I think all of the Detroit sports facilities were built with owner's money, except for infrastructure.
  14. coynejeremy

Exactly. And is Bill D having trouble making money off the Pistons? I sincerely doubt it.
  15. roscoe36

Clay Bennett Might Leave the "Sonics" Name Behind

This guy should be tarred and feathered.

The whole idea of abandoning his lease is ludicrous. I heard a speaker at a conference use him as an example.

To get out of the lease cheaply, he has to argue that the Sonics don't provide an economic benefit to Seattle . Meanwhile, he's in Oklahoma City, arguing that the franchise will bring an economic advantage there, which is why they should build him an arena.

It's guys like this that give capitalists a bad name.

You have to wonder who is the bigger fool, Seattle or the OK City?
  16. linwood

linwood All-Star

Mr. Bennett never had any intention of staying in Seattle. He demanded a brand new, 500 million dollar arena paid for in its entirety by taxpayers. He refused a 150 million dollar renovation to the existing World Class arena (circa 1998 when 150 million dollars was spent on upgrades). OKC is offering less than Seattle toward renovations, a much smaller market, and almost no guarantee of fan support. (ticket sales for the Hornets dropped dramatically their second year in OKC).

The owners want to have an NBA team in their hometown, and Stern's NBA believes that the owners of the team should have that right.

In most cases, I would agree. If you own a business, pay the employees, and take the risk, you can put your business anywhere you want it, even if it doesn't seem like a smart move economically.

The difference in this case is that the city has invested alot of money into this franchise. The bonds on arena renovations won't be paid off for another 10 years, and the repayment plan relies on taxpayer money and concession sales taxes at the Key. Guess how many hot dogs and cold beers they will sell when the basketball team leaves town.

As a Seattle resident, I hope the team stays. I've been to quite a few Sonics games since I've been here, and I will truly miss pro basketball if they leave. (Or semi-pro in the case of the Sonics!), but I won't miss Clay Bennett :gun1:
  17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

agree 100 percent owners should be able to have the team where ever they want.... but the problem with that.... you shouldn't be able to move a team... sorry.... team belongs to the town in my book.... you want a team somewhere else... then get an expansion team... or a team that a town really doesn't support... which is nowhere near the story of seatle.

the more i hear about this... the more saddened i am.
  18. coynejeremy

Does anyone have any contact info for the Pistons org (specifically ownership)? I used their email link on the pistons.com site, but I was hoping for something more direct. I sent this letter:

Is this too long? I want something short and sweet, but something that expresses how I feel. I wish there were a way to start a national campaign for fans league-wide to write their owners and ask them to vote against this attempt. The owners are smart, and if they see enough interest from their fans, they are more likely to protect their own interests by making their fans happy.
  19. linwood

linwood All-Star

I like it. The Sonics situation stresses me out as a basketball fan and Seattle resident.
  20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

If Bennett wins and bolts for OKC, the name and history should stay in Seattle. In fact, I'm for a re-distribution of names/uniforms/etc. throughout sports.

IMO, The Colts should play in Baltimore, the Jazz in New Orleans, the Lakers in Minneapolis etc...