Seattle Supersonics Sold!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jul 18, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2522944

Source: Sonics, Storm sold to Oklahoma City group
    ESPN.com news services

SEATTLE -- A group from Oklahoma City has agreed to buy the Seattle SuperSonics and the Seattle Storm, a source with the Sonics said Tuesday.

The team scheduled a 3 p.m. press conference to announce the sale officially, and the source indicated the new ownership group plans to keep the Sonics and Storm in the Seattle region.

The Basketball Club of Seattle -- owners of the NBA Sonics and WNBA Storm -- would not officially comment until the press conference.

According to a report in The Seattle Times, the group is led by businessman Clay Bennett, who was previously on the San Antonio Spurs' board of directors and also helped attract the New Orleans Hornets to Oklahoma City after Hurricane Katrina.

2. linwood

linwood All-Star

I wonder if they will end up moving to OKC?

Talk in Seattle is that the Sonics were going to move across the lake to Bellvue, but maybe they just go where they will be more appreciated and have more luxury box seats.

3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I thought they might be going to Vegas, but Oklahoma City deserves it.

4. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

I heard about this from a fellow Lions fan from OKC. Is the possibility of them moving to OKC more of a possibility or just a pipe dream?

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

ESPN.com: TrueHoop

6. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Wow, Oklahoma definitely deserves it they have been a class city and they responded extemely well in housing the Hornets. I hope everythng gets finalized and the deal is done. Good for them! :cheers:

7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's too bad if it happens. It will be weird not to have a team in Seattle.

It will also be a pretty major drop in market size for the team too, nearly a three to one difference between Seattle and Oklahoma City in population (assuming Oklahoma is the destination). That will hurt the league TV ratings.

8. linwood

linwood All-Star

Booo. As a current Seattle resident, I will be very dissapointed to see the local NBA franchise leave town.

That being said, Seattle really sucks as a basketball town. There is a very small group of diehard fans, but for the most part, it's very chic to hate sports (especially basketball) in this city. Call it revenge of the Microsoft Nerds, or maybe it's because whitemen can't jump; this town shows no love for Ray, Rashard and company.

9. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

I had no idea it was tha bad up there, man. Well in that case maybe it is good for them to move to OK city and actually have great fans support them. It will be weired at first as far as far as there not being a basketball franchise in Seattle but believe me I dont think its going to wain on our minds for a long period of time.