Set up for the takedown?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 1, 2005.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

It's always interesting to see how the leagues schedule handlers pass out their candy. Looking at the early schedules for a couple teams this is what surfaces.

The Pistons season starts on Nov 2. From that date until December 19th they play 22 games. Of the 22 games, 14 will be played on the road. During that 22 game stretch the Pistons have 7 back-to-backs on tap, of those, 6 of the games on the backside will be played on the road. We'll face these 6 teams on the backside in their arenas, Port, Dal, Mil, Chi, Ut and Charlotte.

The Heat play 11 of their first 22 games on the road. They have 4 back-to-backs during those games. One is one the road wher they play Orlando on the backside.

The Pacer schedule is closer to the Heats. They play 11 of their first 22 games on the road. They have 4 back-to-backs. 3 of those have road games scheduled on the backside, Mia, Mil and Phx.

I'm not into the conspiracy thing, but the differences in the schedule early are pretty glaring.

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yeah that first 45 days is gonna be brutal. I can already see the panic.
    To be honest I'd settle for breakeven during that stretch. With a new system and not much time to practice on the road.

3. G-man

G-man Starter

Hey Merc.
    Hear ya. One things for sure, the Pistons will get plenty of opportunity to see what the new Bucks ballclub is all about before Christmas. They play them twice in the pre-season and then again on November 26th.

After drafting Andrew Bogut with the #1, picking up Bobby Simmons, getting TJ Ford back and re-signing Redd, Gadzuric and Kukoc, these guys might be a handfull.

Boguts bound to improve their lowpost game pretty quick. Combined with Gadzurics play they should slap a lot balls back into the stands.

Simmons full game really opens up their floor on the offensive end. The cat can drop the rock from all over, in or out. He boards, defends and has good hands. Nice compliment to Redd. Then add a healthy TJ Fords game and these guys may actually lock down a playoff berth.

Question remains if Mason will be happy and content to play the 6 man.

I think they look like one of the more promising teams on the upswing with their summer of fun. What do you think? Who made out the most in our division?

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think the Bucks will only go as far as Terry Stotts (is that his name?) can take them. Or is he just the placeholder coach for a season or two...

As usual, Detroit gets messed around with the schedule, but all of the front loading should help with player evaluation and allow for a nice pre-playoff build up.

5. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

SHEESH, the biased is so blatant it's not even funny.... Oh well even more reason to make sure we put our bench to good use early and often this season. Can't let some nba executive pricks sabotage our season!

6. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

I noticed this junk when the schedule was first released.

It will no doubt be an uphill climb from the get-go and one of the reasons why I'm not predicting the Pistons to finish with the Easts best record. That I'm afraid will once again go to the Heat this year and it's no doubt that that's exactly what the league wants.

Just take one look at Miami's schedule and notice the nice flow they have all year, which includes the fewest back-to-back games of any team in the league. No doubt they want Shaq nice and rested for each and every game, all the better to make sure they do obtain the top spot in the East and with it the easiest road to the Finals.

7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

On the other hand, the Heat might prefer that Shaq have less eating time between games.

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Tru Dat :laugh:

9. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

Pistons Rough begining

We all know the league is not for the Pistons, nothing sexy about the team, but its not the start it is the finish that count and Detroit will always finish strong.
    The most important part this year is to build depth of the bench something that was not done last year at all. build depth in preaseason will weather this tough schedule. Go FLIP!!! Go PISTONS!!!

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

slow start = strong finish

Pistons will be hungrier if they are chasing Miami and the media puts Det down. Back to backs and road games will help the new players and coach bond early. Also, getting everyone involved will be required.