shakin the tree

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, I think two years to get it together. If he can, he sticks around obviously.

This time I think Dumards had better make the right coaching choice. But not only that he needs to support him. I mean back him with the players AND start making some good trades and stuff.

I agree that Gores is in it to make money. Nothing wrong with that, IMO. But he is also a fan. Gores seems like he has an ego and that is good too. He wants to look good and the Pistons will reflect that.

I've made some really good predictions and some really bad ones so I won't "predict" anything. But I really do think Gores will do a great job. Maybe like a Cuban with more common sense and self restraint. I'm happy that he purchased the team.

I don't know what made me think this suddenly, but wouldn't it be cool if our Rascoe was filthy rich and bought the Pistons? :pound: He would run it like the forum and look at the great results. :)

Then again, he might make Laimbeer (ours) General Manager. Then Laimbeer would hire 357 to coach. Next... Uggh. Rascoe would insist that Jammer be head of the the cheer leading squad. :cheerleader: BDL in charge of Palace entertainment. C. J. as security. nemo as talent scout. Linwood head of :beer:concessions. Dre public Relations. Slippy's jersey would be retired. Oh...the possibilities.:pound::stirthepot:
  2. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Definitely Linwood as the head of food and beverage...I'm in...:)

Rascoe would actually have to be photographed though...Sounds like trouble.:stirthepot:

Maybe Dre for Rascoe...Dre's not camera shy...nice lookin wife too....:)
  3. max

max All-Star

This summer would have given us a good glimpse of what it will be like under Gores but we will have to wait. One piece that is not a very good sign is possibly holding off on hiring a new coach to save on money.

4. Nemo

Ya know Dre...I did say hug, but if you really look at the pic...he has a handful of something else...:eyebrows:
  5. Darth Tater

I look at it like he is fiscally responsible. He is paying enough coaches for doing nothing. No more Rip contacts either.

The Pistons will get their man. No worries. I think he is going to do whatever it takes to win (fan and smart businessman = eventual title). :)
  6. Nemo

Hope you're right...:)
  7. G-man

G-man Starter

all due respect but i don't agree. i think it's a terrible omen. if the coach the Pistons need, the best fit for turning this team is around is currently available, he should be hired now. the guy just bought the team for $300+M, looking to save a what really amounts to hundreds of thousands, not millions, at the risk of letting the right coach slip through your fingers seems exceptionally short-sighted in my view.

putting your brand new team in a "catch-up" mode at the last minute doesn't seem wise or prudent. what better time for Gores to get his house in order and to really get to know and develop his relationship with the staff that's intended to tun this ship around?

in fairness, i doubt the veracity of the Freep piece to begin with, i think it's a writer in hypothetical mode. i fully expect JD to hire the guy he wants as soon as he wants. there's plenty of things a new coaching staff can be working on and through during this hiatus.
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with this. It sounds to me just idle musings of a beat writer during the boring days of this NBA snoozefest.

I really don't have an issue with the Pistons taking their time to really evaluate the coaching candidates. I'd rather see that as opposed to a rash decision.
  9. Nemo

You're right of course, but with the candidates they're considering...It's like me deciding wether to have a Snicker Bar or Peanut M&Ms for a snack...
  10. Darth Tater

Yeah, I think you're right G. Good points as usual.

So I'm going to switch gears but stay on the Gores bandwagon until he proves otherwise. (Kind of like I gave Jammer the benefit of the doubt before he proved what a bum he could be. :MusicBigGrin::stirthepot: I'm going to say that they are still trying to decide who the right man is. They are sick of hiring guys that don't do the job and then the team is back to square one. But I DO think fiscal responsibility goes hand in hand with that although it may not be the primary reason they wait for the right guy.

I really don't think Gores has any problem spending money in order to make money. I think he may be deferring to Dumards in many ways, but I believe he is really trying to learn the business himself before making any huge decisions. He WAS in the war room on draft night. I'm not sure Davidson used to do that or if that is common practice? I'd guess Cuban is always in there for the Dallas draft.

(Did I worm and dance :dance:my way around that one pretty well? See...hanging around and learning from a Cannuckian scoundrel like Jammer :canada:DOES have SOME advantages).

Disclaimer: All Cannuckian jokes are directed toward and meant to offend only Rascoe and Jammer. My apologies to anyone else of the Cannuckian persuasion/species that happens to be caught in the crossfire. The views expressed regarding Cannuckians do not necessarily represent the views of management.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am sure that Laims would take the job for a $1 and then an option to 7 figures in the second year....if he survives.........need to get him on board prior to whenever agreements are ironed out and approved.
  12. max

max All-Star

And I hope you are right - lol. Even the Bucks hired a new coach recently.
  13. Nemo

At this point...I'd love to see anybody hire Laimbeer as the HC. Hopefully, he'd be the next big coaching name, and Joe would be unemployed for not bringing him home...
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

:pound:

So true!
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I've always wondered by organizations aren't more aggressive with their contracts with new coaches (i.e. why aren't they cheaper?). There are a lot of guys like Kuester who are trying to break in who would probably take a big pay cut to get in the game. Laimbeer is a good example. Pay him the minimum amount that it would take to get him.
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bill's family had a business and I am sure he is involved....he could afford to take a nominal fee to manage his favorite team.>Pistons.

Didn't Dave Bing take a $1 salary once he was elected mayor of Detroit?