Shaq in Alien Form?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LA Sam, Oct 4, 2005.

1. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

Shaq is mad about the loss to Detroit in the EC Finals. He not only wants revenge, but he wants to abuse the east.

Shaq's adding muscle to Miami

[​IMG]
    By John Hollinger
    ESPN.com
    Archive

MIAMI -- Shaquille O'Neal has a warning for the NBA: The alien is back.

As if the league's other 29 teams didn't have enough to worry about with Miami's offseason acquisitions of Jason Williams, Antoine Walker, James Posey and Gary Payton, now there's this: O'Neal has showed up to training camp with even more muscle on his already hulking frame.
    [​IMG]
    Shaq's got big muscles and fun quotes on media day.

Shaq says he's been working out twice a day in the offseason and currently weighs 340 pounds, about 15 pounds more than his playing weight of a year ago. And all that new weight is muscle.
    "I was an earthling last season," Shaq said in reference to his strength level. "I had to go back to my alien roots."
    He decided after Miami's loss to Detroit in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals that he had focused too much on conditioning and didn't feel his usual dominant self down the stretch. Shaq had spent the 2004 offseason trying to keep his weight down, hoping to ease the strain on his joints and keep him fresh for the playoffs.
    But in spite of finishing second in the MVP voting, O'Neal was a bit disappointed in the results -- especially his relative lack of effectiveness against Detroit in the conference finals. This year, he wants to go back to being the self-proclaimed Most Dominant Ever.
    "Last summer I did all cardio, didn't do any weights, and was kind of weak," he said. "This year it was all weights, two times a day."
    O'Neal's change of focus from conditioning to strength is a bit of a gamble, however, especially since he could easily overpower opponents even at his previous size.
    As teammate Alonzo Mourning noted, "He didn't have to lift any weights. All he has to do is show up on the block."
    The 33-year-old center has an arthritic toe and has been periodically sidelined by other leg problems over the past few seasons. He's missed 54 games all told in the past four years, or an average of 13.5 per. (Last season was actually his best of the batch, with only nine absences.)
    By putting additional strain on limbs and digits that are already taking a pounding from his lumbering mass every night, it's not clear that he's lessened his injury risk. For proof, look no further than last season's failure against Detroit, when Shaq's leg problems were a major factor.

Full Article link below
    Shaq's adding muscle to Miami
  2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

hmm..

well that sucks..lol!
  3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

How can you not like a guy that is looking to get back to his 'alien roots'?
    Walking sound bite collection. mmm hmm.
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

i am very sure that he's going to wear down thats what happens as you get older. This will help them greatly in the regular season, but come playoff time he'll probably be worn out if the Heat have a series with us again.
  5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

can you imagine a 340 lb shaq chasing quick as a guard darko milicic around trying to stop the pick and roll. lol. i hope darko gets his shot going he's going to have open 20 footers all day. shaq already is tired by the 3rd quarter he's going to be even worse this year.
  6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Let me see that pick&roll, that that pick&roll.
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

:laugh: lol, that really would be funny.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Shaq wouldn't chase him. Haslem or Walker would.

And then Shaq would absolutely pound DMC in the post.

I'm not in a rush to see Darko play substantial minutes against Shaq yet. Despite what I think of Shaq as a person (not much) it is pretty optimistic to think that DMC would be the one creating the mismatch and not the Diesel...
  9. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

I don't understand what he thinks the extra muscle will do unless he plans on knocking all his opponents out.He said before last season he did mostly cardio?The way he ran down during the series against us towards the end of the games?

He must be an alien his thought process is out of this world.:loco:
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Shaq's problem is that instead of getting into the facility and leading the team by example, he spends his time shooting off his mouth in the press and trying to look like a smarty pants.

Shaq is absolutely clueless when it comes to leadership or commitment.

Without a Phil Jackson to keep the personalities in check, the Diesel is lost without a map. For a guy with that many degrees, you would think he would have an appreciation for HISTORY.
  11. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Shaq Daddy

I have no problem with Shaq putting on all the weight he wants. Muscle or not. Like the article said, he already overpowers everyone in the league, adding more muscle is just overkill. The more weight he puts on, the slower he'll be and the more strain that will be put on his aging joints.

I agree with Micro though, the Diesel is still an intimidating presence. I wouldn't take him too lightly.

On a side note, not that it wasn't already, but with the offseason additions, that will be one ego filled locker room. It should be an interesting season.​
  12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

At Michigan State they had a very old picture in the wrestling room, showing a skinny guy with his hand raised in victory over a much more muscular opponent. Beneath the picture it said:

If muscles were everything, a bull could catch a jackrabbit.
  13. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Its All The In Legs

Hoops is at a minimum 75% in the legs. When your legs go you are virtually useless. As great as KAJ was it was really sad to see him walk up and down the court the last 2 or 3 years that he played.

If you can't run, jump, pivot, slide etc with your legs it is time to retire. That is why I am amazed that G. Hill could come back as well as he finally did last year after all the ankle problems that he has had.

I think Shaq adding more weight was the wrong thing for him to do. A human being is not designed to carry 340 lbs especially running up and down a 90' length of hardwood maybe 100 times a game for 100 games plus practices over a period 200 or so days.

Shaq will break down again this year, probably even for more games than he did last year. The Pistons will not have to worry about Shaq come playoff time.
  14. bball jay

if shaq doesn't chase darko then shaq will have to check rasheed or mcdyess. we have an ability to put a big man lineup on the floor that shaq simply can't rest on. nothing against ben but when we put any combination of sheed, darko, or mcdyess on the floor everybody must be checked for the pick and roll. so if shaq chooses to check sheed run pick and roll with sheed. if shaq chooses to check darko run pick and roll with darko. i doubt darko will outplay shaq at this stage i'm just saying that shaq tires out. that is an effective method against shaq is to make him play defense and tire out. ben defends shaq rather well in the second half of games.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Shaq & Darko???

OK,..... (for entertainment purposes only)........If our staff watches film and gets Shaq rotation times figured, then you could use Darko for like a minute and a half or 2 against Shaq. When it's time for Shaq to rotate out he's usually tired and dogging it by then. Defensively he has to try and check Darko "call me Kukoc" Millicic but offensively he's usualy not too aggressive on his way out the game, so we could minimize the probability of Shaq just killing DMC.

Now a good idea against Shaq is to play him with a big body (DDavis) and team that player with a shot blocker, J-max and or Ben, playing weakside. So if Darko's in you need Ben or Max in with him to help weakside.
  16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I say go with Sheed, Dice, and Ben. Sheed the way he looks right now would destroy anyone he's matched-up against same with Dice. Cause Shaq, and Antione don't play defense, and Haslem isn't strong enough. And if you have Ben out there you got the best defensive player on Shaq so it all works out.
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Is Shaq working out more because of motivation or desperation? I say the latter. He's is getting slower and older and the Pistons have knocked him out of the playoffs two years in a row. He is desperate to get back to the promised land and he won't make it. He is too old, too heavy and he will go down with an injury ...it's gonna happen.

The other theory that I have is that Shaq is worried about Darko getting more pt this year under Flip. He has seen some clips of the "Serbian Swat Machine" in action this summer and he also watched some of his warmup shooting from last year. This summer workout program is all a reaction to Darko.
  18. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Uh, go with your first theory.
  19. bball jay

playing darko with ben will just defeat the purpose of having darko in the game against miami. you need another big man with a quality jumpshot in the game like sheed or mcdyess. if ben is in the game shaq will just check ben on defense and won't have to chase darko or sheed around in the pick and roll. the biggest contribution darko will make sometimes against shaq is tiring him out. shaq simply can't play over 25 minutes and be effective.

i doubt shaq will have his way with darko on defense anyway. darko may pick up a few fouls but darko is strong, fast and long he will bother shaq more than people think. sheed and mcdyess are good weakside defenders too. we don't need ben in there to "protect" darko on defense. darko is a good one on one defender especially with a slow player like shaq who has no post moves at all.
  20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We will need Ben out there a lot too bacause with Shaq getting even stronger Ben is the only guy in the NBA who has a chance to muscle out Shaq. And with Shaq going to be even more slow I like how Flip is going to try to make this team capitalize on fast break oppurtunities.