Shaq on Quite Frankly

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by MotownPride, Sep 22, 2005.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Anyone catch the interview that ran yesterday?

What were your thoughts?

Take away the Pistons/Heat rivalry, in here is my opinion on Shaq:

I am convinced that Shaq is probably the best personality in sports.

I know most are not fond of his grandiose, speaking about himself in the 3rd person, larger than life persona...but hey, I like it. Perhaps, because I like the entertainment value Shaq brings to the league. Maybe because I at times can be cocky and I like slinging the banter around when appropriate. ;) Hell, or maybe it's just because I find him likeable. He is far from boring and unquestionably one of the most dominant if not THE most dominant force ever to hit the NBA. ...and there isn't a better interview in sports today.

The impression I get from Shaq is that he is a clown. He yearns for attention, but more prevelant for me is that he yearns to entertain. Beneath all the cockiness, tricky rhetoric, and 7 foot intimidating frame is a man who appears to have a good heart and a commitment toward helping people. I was really impressed with his interview on Quite Frankly. I had no idea that Shaq contributed so much to the community, in particular to the Katrina Relief crisis. Apparently, Shaq payed for buses, housing, medical supplies, books, etc... and more impressively lended a helping hand to the effort in person after the very first 24 hours. That's gettin off your @ss and makin' something happen. Anyone with money can write a check...but to get over there in that mayhem and start helping the people to me is admirable. All without a press release. No praise. He just did it.

As the interview progresses we learn that New Orleans is only one city that he has vested into. He has been commited to helping every area that he touches....with his rational being that his father always told him that "If you are able to help someone, then help someone".

Now I'm not naive enough to think that Shaq is the only NBA player to help out in this crisis. I know everyone is doing there part to try to help. I think what impressed me the most is that when Shaq did his part (given his celeb status) there was no fanfare involved. Perhaps his agenda truly is to entertain and to help. I think he is succeeding. So in my opinion, Shaq doesn't really need to be a sheriff of a small town to really help people as he aspires to do...he just needs to keep being Shaq and lead by example. Just no more Shaq in a bottle movies! :)

Outside of the serious tone of Katrina's wrath, some of the best moments come from his remarks about Eric Dampier ("This isn't the WNBA!") , his desire to purchase the Orlando Magic ("Because I don't want to give up my house") and why he didn't actively pursue Michael Finley ("You figure it out").

...and he even admitted that to get to the championship he HAS to go through DETROIT.

Great interview. Thoughts?
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Very good article. I've always liked Shaq even though his comments occassionally tick me off, lol.

I think he is a good hearted person, too. Intelligent and a clown. He's A-ok in my book. I'm still rooting against him on the basketball court as hard as I can, though. The Heat are the enemy. :fencing:
  3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I like Shaq.

He may get on your nerves with his ego but he is a good hearted person.
    I just wish he will stop with the nicknames. :frusty:

Shaq
    Man of Steel
    The Big Aristotle
    The Diesel
    Big Daddy
    Dr. Shaq

Did I miss one??
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Shaq nicknames

Winless, you missed the one he is probably ashamed of "Kazaam" from the ill fated movie of 1996. Not only did he star in it, but he was the executive producer too. (along with Steel). Both sealed his fate as a motion picture actor, so his next job after basketball is law enforcer:usa2:
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I believe he likes to refer to himself as a "Shogun", in fact, the "Shogun who killed all of the Ninjas."

Shaq is funny for 10 minutes, and then he just becomes annoying. No one likes a guy who talks about himself all of the time.
  6. MotownPride

Favorite ESPN show

My favorite for the past couple of years has been PTI (Pardon The Interruption). I've always loved the format of that show and believed the hosts compliment eachother well. There is truely no leading star on that show which makes it very effective.

But now I have a new favorite...

Quite Frankly with Stephen A. Smith.

I didn't even like Smith that much on NBA Shootaround. I found him charismatic and entertaining but treading on the annoying side. Well, my thoughts on him have changed dramatically since watching his introduction into the sports tv talkshow host market. Steve speaks his mind and pulls back no punches. If you are dodging questions, he lets you know. If you are a boring interview, he lets you know. If you are feeding the crowd some BS he lets you know. I find his show to be very refreshing.

Folks, if you haven't checked this show out, please do. You won't be dissappointed.

What gets your vote for best ESPN program?(outside of Sportscenter of course) :)
  7. MotownPride

Don't forget....

Shaq-Fu - remember the video game? it was about as good as his movie. :)
  8. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Shaq nicknames

How about Wilt-chaber-neesy? (sp)

I remember Shaq using that one. :)
  9. MotownPride

Favorite ESPN program outside of Sportscenter

Surely I am not the only ESPN fanatic in PF.com?

No votes for World Series of Poker series?
    Streetball?
    PTI?
    Stomp the Schwab?
    Dream Job?
    Jim Rome is Burning?
  10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i dunno i only watch sportscenter lol
  11. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I forgot about Shaq- Fu and Kazaam. Funny!!!
    I never heard him refer to the Shogun nickname. The guy goes thru like 2 nicknames a year. I think he gives his cars nicknames too.
  12. roscoe36

Winless,

My bad. He calls himself a ninja.

(re-reading article) My bad II, he calls himself a shogun at the end. Shaq is the master of verbal diahorrea.

IGN Sports: Would you like to see more big guys?

Shaq: I am the number one Ninja and I have killed all the Shoguns in front of me. You've got some new young Shoguns trying to step up—Amare [Stoudemire], Jermaine [O'Neal], [Yao] Ming. But by the time they kill this Shogun, I'll be retired, and I'll have two platinum swords and five NBA MVP balls. That is why one day I said my game will be like the Pythagorean Theorem—hard to figure out. A lot of people really don't know the Pythagorean Theory. They don't make them like me anymore. They don't want to make them like that anymore. I think the type of centers you are looking at know are the Collier's and Nowitzki, the guys that can step out and shoot the (edit) crap out of the ball. They can shoot and you can not take that away from them. I have never been a shooter. I have always been a prolific M.F. scorer. You know what M.F. stands for? (Smiling and Laughing)

Link to more Shaq-ness
  13. MotownPride

Shaq-Nasty

cool link.

He mentioned in the Quite Frankly interview as well that he didnt see any real centers in the league outside of Amare.
  14. Big C

Big C First Round Draft Pick

Shaq

Someone said it best when they called him a big kid. Shaq is always clowning around and having fun, very likeable guy. If you ever see him on MTV cribs at home with his family he is just a big kid. If you want to see something really hilarious catch him on the episode of "punk". Ashton gets him really good and I thought Shaq was going to kill the poor actor that was punking him. Very funny stuff. Very nice of him to pay for Mikans funeral also, he caught a bad deal on that with people callin him glory seeking. The NBA really screwed the old timers and that was big of Shaq to step up. He gives the best Quotes outside of Charles Barkely.
  15. roscoe36

Idiot PLUS

Shaq beefs up for run at the title
    Hoping to avoid injuries, O'Neal hits the weight room.
    By Carlos Frias
    Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, October 04, 2005

MIAMI — Shaq is bigger.

Not heavier . . . bigger. Shaq is a Roq. Arms like a gravedigger. Tattoos stretched tighter than a wet suit.

The Diesel, Heat center Shaquille O'Neal, is running on high octane after spending the summer in the weight room, working out twice a day with his bodyguard, Jerome Crawford.

During last season's NBA Finals, when Detroit was representing the Eastern Conference and the Heat was not, O'Neal decided it was time to get back on his old weight-lifting regimen. Before his first season in Miami, he spent the off-season working to lose weight, but "felt weak" by the end of the year.

Wednesday, during the Heat's media day, he showed off his toned biceps and proudly declared himself a battle-ready 340 pounds.
    "All weights this summer," he said. "I had to go back to the old Shaq. . . . "

"I was normal last summer. I was an earthling last summer. I had to go back to my alien roots."

O'Neal believes his slimmer (325 pounds), less-bulky physique was a disadvantage. He's certain it was the reason his body broke down like it never had before, culminating with a deep thigh bruise that limited his effectiveness in the Eastern Conference finals loss to Detroit.

"I felt last year I was kind of weak, especially there at the end," O'Neal said.

Of course, Shaq's still a heavyweight comedian. When a reporter asked if he's already feeling stronger, O'Neal cracked up the room.

"Why don't you bring your face up here and let me punch you and you tell me?" he said with a wide smile.

And that leg injury, has it healed?

"Why don't you come rub it and find out?" he said to another round of guffaws. "Yeah, it did."

O'Neal seems motivated and rejuvenated, especially by the prospect of Season II alongside Dwyane Wade. O'Neal took a $5 million pay cut to stay in Miami and he's pleased with the players President Pat Riley added to the roster in the off-season.

"I'm a businessman," O'Neal said. "I didn't want to be greedy and take all the money and try to do it myself. I realize I'm getting older. I just told them, 'I'll take $20 (million) and you take the rest of the money and you go out and get somebody. I just want to get some help to put some more years on my career and add more rings to my legacy."

Riley did add talent — and egos. There's flashy guard Jason Williams, longtime star Gary Payton, and shooting star Antoine Walker.

No worries, said the Big Musclehead, who as team leader will take responsibility for "managing the locker room."

"I don't see us having a problem," O'Neal said. "Everyone has to do it their way, but be on the same page. The outcome has to want to be the same. We want to win. We want to win big and we want to win the whole thing."

Besides, O'Neal continues to insist, everyone is just a supporting cast for the Heat's real star — Wade. Once again, O'Neal drew comparisons to his role with previous sidekicks — Penny Hardaway in Orlando and Kobe Bryant with the Lakers.

"This is my third pupil," O'Neal said. "The first two didn't work out. I learned from my mistakes with the first two and I'll make sure they won't happen with Dwyane."

Everything, O'Neal believes, is in place for a serious title run.
    "We added a lot of pieces that we were missing," he said. "It's going to be a fun year."

micro- This guy is a fool no matter how you slice it.
  16. MotownPride

lmao! :laugh: