Shaqs joining Lebron in our Division..ouch?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Jun 25, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

2. G-man

G-man Starter

3. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Re: Will Sheed join Shaq in Cleveland?

I thought Big Ben was going to retire. Sounds like the experiment that Steve Kerr tried blew up in his face.
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think that all along the Shaq trade was part of his plan to get Big Ben and Pavlovoc.:MusicBigGrin:
  5. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

You know Ben is going to be bought out. The question is, where is he going from there? With Shaq going to the Cavs it would seem like there is a coach change coming as well.
  6. hlbimage

hlbimage First Round Draft Pick

Was it any better than the AI experiment? OH BURN !!!! How you like them apple? :gun1: :pound:
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Shaq in Cleveland makes so much more sense than Shaq trying to play with the run-n-gun Suns. I never understood why Phoenix wanted the Big Cactus.
  8. Omaha Piston

Omaha Piston Second Round Draft Pick

This doesn't bother me. He'll be there one year, while we're rebuilding.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Fresh off of Kobe's 4th title, Shaq should be ultra motivated to get in shape for this season.

I don't think it is a bad move for Cleveland. He'll be off the books by the time they need to re-up for Lebron anyways.

He'll get a lot of good feeds from Lebron, but may make Bron more of a jump shooter by clogging up the paint... vs. Big Z who stretched the defense and opened up the middle.
  10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think that's exactly right. Tied with Kobe is not where the Big Buffoon wants to end his career. I don't know if he has enough gas in the tank to make a difference, but he will if he can.
  11. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Joe should go after Amar'e. Give them Maxiell and #15.

Why does Kerr accept trash for his good players? (I thought Shaq was trash when he would get constantly get injured in his last year of the Heat. While Shawn Marion was still beasting.)
  12. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    This is an interesting trade. Cavs should be better if Shaq is motivated and in shape. However, if they are counting on him to stop Howard, I am not sure they'll get their wish. There's no way Shaq can keep up with Howard's quickness. He'll always be a step or two behind. But obviously we'll have to wait and see it in action before making a final determination.
  13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

W.O.W.

As much as I hate CLE...getting The Big Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is HUGE.
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...or

Shaq being traded to the "Mistake by the Lake" could blow up in the Cav's face.

Will he be known as "The Big Mistake"?
  15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Anything the Cavs do in the near future has to be seen in light of the key to everything for them: keeping LeBron. If they had a choice between (a) winning it all this coming season but then immediately losing LeBron to free agency, or (b) not winning it all next year, or even anytime in the next few seasons, but re-signing LeBron to a long term deal, which one would they pick? It's a no-brainer that they'd pick (b). Their franchise value is FAR more tied to LeBron being there than it is to actually winning anything.

Of course, the goals of winning a 'ship and keeping LeBron are hardly at odds with each other--there can't be much doubt that he'd be more inclined to stay if they win it all next season. But if this really does end up being Shaq's last season, and the Cavs win it all but go into the season after that with their frontcourt problems back to square one, maybe LeBron decides to go somewhere else with a more solid supporting cast?

That could be possible...and, of course, if they come up short of winning it all with The Big Tweeter and have to rebuild their roster again after next season, maybe LeBron figures they can't take the next step and that he should try somewhere else. So I'm not sure getting Shaq puts them all that much closer to their most important goal (re-signing LeBron), even though it does give them a better shot at winning it all right away.

Then again, with Shaq going into the last year of his contract and with the big free-agent class of '10 coming up, maybe taking their best shot at winning right away while still leaving room to maneuver for younger free agent stars after next year is their best overall option on all fronts.
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Great post D4E.

I think the key dynamic will be Shaq's health, and the ability for Shaq to accept a lesser role as the star of the team. That entire organization is about LBJ, Shaq will have to shut up and know his role.
  17. bmill

bmill First Round Draft Pick

Now that Shaq is in our division, Kwame better opt in. If I was Kwame, Id be excited that this would be an opportunity to get more minutes to guard "LeBig."
  18. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

We all know how much Shaq likes to quieten the nay-sayers. I have absolutely no doubts he will be motivated. He'll dis Stevie Kerr and the entire Suns franchise. He'll dis SVG and the Magic franchise (they should have hired Coach Daly like Shaq wanted, morons). And Kareem for good measure too.

Then he'll tell everyone that he's going to help LeBron reach the top, just like he did with Kobe and Wade. Then he'll go and do exactly that. Then he'll say I told you so.

As for Shaq retiring, he seems to have figured what my forum namesake could never do, and that is outside of the L, his star is no where near as bright. He'll keep playing for as long as he can hold the starting job down for 25-30 mins a night, and keep breaking records in the process.

Do not ignore the fact that he is as mad as hell that Dwight stole his 'superman' moniker. Right now, Dwight is curled up in the corner of his room, rocking back and forth, and is saying to himself "Please Shaq-Daddy, don't hurt me" over and over again.
  19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

He stayed healthy last season, though who knows if he can repeat that at this point.

I don't think accepting a lesser role than LeBron will be a problem for him. He certainly had a secondary role next to Wade on the Heat's title team.
  20. hlbimage

hlbimage First Round Draft Pick

Cleveland, Magic, Celtics and maybe Pistons are what people are talking about in the East but the one team that could prove to be the most dangerous is the Wizard. Their key players are healthy for once and they just upgraded their back court line up. This Shaq thing is going to be Suns 2.0 experiment.