1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Sheed's Next Technical - #16

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Feb 11, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I expect it will be Monday against the Clipper Ships.

This way the league will force him to miss the Pistons game against the Alamos.

Am I being paranoid and conspiratal?

We shall see.

I sure as heck hope I am wrong.

:gun1:

2. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

The bright side. When Sheed has to sit a game it will create an opportunity to re-unite the Goon Squad.

Of course there is a good chance that Flip will play Nazr instead. For whatever reason there seems to have been a conscious decision not to play JMax and DD together (I wish I knew why).

That last tech on Sheed was total BS. Almost as bad as the one he got for smiling at Ilgauskas after being knocked down by Ilgauskas.

ESPN doesn't do Rasheed any favors. In their teaser they say Pistons win and Rasheed picks up another tech. As they say this, they show Rasheed jawing and snarling (after a made basket) giving the distinct impression that Rasheed was directing this at the official and that it was what he was T'd up for. I guess it wouldn't have made for a good story to show him running down court and tossing the ball to the other ref.

3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Sheed should play the rest of the season with duck tape over his mouth. He could even match it up with the color headband the team is wearing each night.

This would show his contempt for the leagues policy and the refs. Never mind scratch that. The refs would probably would T' him up for it and say he was showing the officals up and that the duck tape is not part of the official team uniform.:nerd2:

4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Naw, wouldn't work. He'd only be able to breathe through his nose and I feel this would tire him out easier. Besides, he'd get T'd up every time his nostrils flared too much. The refs see EVERYTHING.

5. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

He will keep his mouth shut against the Clippers. Of all the games he wouldn't want to miss, the Spurs game is at the top of his list.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sheed likely won't get a tech in the San Antonio game either. He brings his game face for those big matches.

7. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

This doesn`t refer to Sheed`s tech, but I am sitting here watching the Spurs/Heat game and the refs must not see Wade complaining and whining because they have not T`d him up yet.

Sheed would have been tossed if he was acting like Wade is in this game. The league really needs to do something about this.

8. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Expect the unexpected. Flip has resigned and counter-balanced the inevitable with some substitution patterns. He will be limited to go beyond this approach, which is unfortunate, because of Sheeds authority reactions.

The biggest key now is how the rest of the team supports Sheed. Saying that he is a free spirit is a diversionary cop-out. Their has to be a strong and consistent effort from the whole team to get into his head about the issue of control.

Their are a number of mental exercises that are well known to help individuals cope with these problems. Say what you will...but, Jackson/Riley are masters of this approach. A coaches job is 90% psychological understanding and motivation.

Word should also be put out to the league that players are trying to be responsible in gaining control of these problems. You have to work it in multiple directions. That way you have some responsibility pushed on the refs and their (at times) inconsistent patterns of over-the-limit reactions.

The league (Stern) and umpire association owes it to the fans, administration, and players (Union) to update and reinforce those reactions that the refs deem unnecessary. The more communication from the umpire association, the easier time Stern will have in denying justification levels of institutional bias.

The latter problem should definitely be a Player's Union direction and I feel that they need to get aggressive toward this form of accountability.

9. Winless Wonders

I think the real problem is leaving it up to the ref's interpretation to call a tech. There should be guidlines. Tech's should only be given out when a player uses profanity at a offical or continues to argue and holds up play. Giving tech's for laughing or throwing your fist in frustration is rediculious.

10. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

seems like this could easily be something a court could rule on.
    theres plenty of evidence with game tapes. sheed only need to show worse reactions from other players not getting techs to win the case. and while its going through the courts he can keep playing. by the time the court hears the case the season is over. problem solved.

11. roscoe36

There was talk of legal action by the NBPA regarding techs but it has quieted down. They aren't going to take the NBA to the mat for one player. Rasheed does push and push, but this has been selective justice in his case for quite some time. It's obvious even to non-Piston/Sheed fans and an embarassment to the integrity of the game.

This is why sports leagues are in no rush to move to Vegas. The anti-trust lawsuits would be devastating if calls and referee performance could be called into question over the settlement of bets. No league wants that kind of scrutiny.

From a labour union standpoint, I would not want "the company" fining my constituents arbitrarily. In effect, it becomes a salary tax, applied unevenly to some employees over others. With the league tying itself to superstar marketing, a strong case could be made for the preferential treatment that Wade and LeBron enjoy over the Danny Fortsons and Rasheed Wallaces.

12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

We're all aware of Sheed improving his play after getting juiced from a "T" ... also believe he likes staying in the refs ear just to plant a seed for later calls... his little game within the game is no longer an option... the only thing he's doing with the yapping is hurting the team... this could effect the teams playoff seed if he's out for several games (depending on how Amir & Brahma fill in).
    The refs are not imune to behavioral changes due to being verbally abused... if he's not "getting the calls" then he brought this on himself.... I'll bet the refs joke about Sheed at half time.... whether they admit it or not he's on their most wanted list.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how our fill ins work out.

13. Winless Wonders

Sheed hulking up on tech's. lol.. That is basically what he does. Whatcha gonna do when Sheed runs wild on You.......!!!!!!:pound: :pound: :pound:

14. roscoe36

It's not worthy of another thread, and I will never have the time to write my thoughts on it at HVC, so here it is...

One of the biggest highlights of Sheed's life was meeting Wilt Chamberlain. Now I am by no means putting Sheed on Wilt's level, so please don't beat me up for that.

But when Sheed is "feeling it", he's as unstoppable near the rim as Wilt. His ability to back down his man (as opposed to just taking turnaround Js) and then softly dropping the ball through the mesh reminds me of classic clips of Wilt I have seen.

And his personality off court is just as vibrant.

I have had a blast watching him dominate his matchups in the paint recently. He's not a young man anymore, but his length and touch and smarts are HUGE. One can only wonder how his career would have gone if he had received superstar foul calls all the way through. I think he would have been HOF material. Now his only shot is to have another strong playoffs and win a title.

15. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Excellent points, especially the last two paragraphs. These are yet more powerful assets to push on Stern. He has huge pressure on him to let Vegas in and his "prim" image will be reflected on him from (one would hope) from the Union and other "non-bias" information mediums like this one.

The Union's responsibility is to take on any collective action be it for a collective group or a singular individual. They need to actively push the discriminatory aspect of arbitrary reactions in the absence of explanatory guidelines. All discrepancies should be decided by a neutral 3 member commission represented by the a coach, union and league rep.

One voice heard is equal to 24 silent ones...a standard marketing principle.

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just wanted to sum this all up a bit. Just last year, the league imposed those penalties and suspensions for too many techs. This was a somewhat drastic addition of penalties for arguing with the ref, but not all that drastic. On a scale of 1 to 10, lets rate that a five. But this year, they added the no tolerance policy. Wo!!!! Now instead of the policy resulting to one game of being suspended at the worst case, cause it took a whole season even for Sheed to hit this limit, now Sheed can hit the limit just past half season. He could end up missing 5, 6, 7 games from this. This is a massive increase in final penalty. This is a 10. If the union does not challenge it, they lose all respect from the players. And the league will just push even harder next year if they find the league's players are a bunch of pansies.

17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It will take Wade, Dirk or Bron suspensions for this rule to be reversed.
    Personally I hate all the yapping... the refs make mistakes... get over it.

18. roscoe36

I don't think Sheed loses it just over mistakes. No one likes going into the post and not getting fouls when everyone knows they have carte blanche to hack away at you.

I'm not justifying it. I'm just saying, if you got hacked without calls, and then got called for every ticky-tack touch, it's only a matter of time until you blow your top.

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Chicken/Egg?

20. roscoe36

Absolutely. But is it ok that his past experiences with the refs exclude them from calling current games straight up?

That's why he said after the Toronto game that he is a target. He knows it, his opponents know it, and he knows his opponents know it.

There is no solution. Just disgust.