Sheed's Next Technical - #16

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Feb 11, 2007.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

No question Sheed is the victim of biased calls... the frustration is compounded by the calls that the Dwades of the league get... BUT we have to consider the amount of mistakes that the average player makes in a game vs. the errors by refs... both highly trained pros in a complex fast paced game... and the difference is?
    If the player received negative feedback by his coach for everyone to see every time he blew an assignment how long would the coach/player still be working together? Double standard?
    You could say the refs get paid well to take the abuse... but this sport is unrivaled in the amount of flack these officials have to withstand even with the new shut-yo-mouth rule.... so what should they do?... shut-yo-mouth and accept imperfect refs.
    The league does have mandatory game reviews and gradings... if it's really negligent they receive secret fines.
    I do think Stern and his cronies need to quit making so many changes in succesion... give it a break and let these players & refs get used to things for a while.
  2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A couple of great posts Merc. :thumb[1]:
  3. chipi

chipi Second Round Draft Pick

I disagree that the mistakes the Refs make can be compared at the same level as what the players do. The mistakes the players commit are there for the whole world to see, there are no coverups, we don't even need to get the coaching staff's opinion on those, though that helps.

But even if you accept Merc's argument that both mistakes should be judged on the same level, why not make the internal review process for the refs a open book. This is not the same as the 'show' Nunn does on NBA TV where they hand pick a game, and discuss a few calls.

Ignoring the Sheed issue, everyone knows that rookies are ref'd on a different level compared to vets, which is just crazy. Add to the fact that superstars get those calls - something which has become so ingrained into the system - that even the league approved commentators have no problem in saying that the stars have 'earned' those calls. When you add all of these to the fact that the league is a for profit body which wants to promote specific players and a specific image, it does not need National Inquirer level thinking to see the possibility of something not quite right.

As for Sheed himself, he used to routinely get two techs and get thrown out of the big games while in Portland (I think his record for a season was in the 40s). He's simmered down quite a bit, to the point where it became unusual for him to get thrown out of a game. So the league lowered the bar to 15 last season, and than changed the rules to decide what constitued a tech. There is no reason to think that if Sheed somehow managed to get only 11 of them this season, the league would not change it down to 10 for the next season. Most of us are in favour of clamping down on the whining, but you need consistency and a open review process. Otherwise nothing's really changed.
  4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Nice counterpoint chipi... I do think they have an open review for the refs... it's somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd replay of the blown call... I could understand if you're interested in the disciplinary side for the refs however teams are also fairly secretive on their internal fines and there's a lot of mysterious one game injuries going on instead of announced suspensions.
  5. max

max All-Star

I would not be surprised if that last tech gets reversed.

With Sheed. Its not so much the actual tech itself, its all the chatting he does up to the tech. Kind of grates on the refs nerves. But they are professionals and should make the actual tech call on the same grounds as everyone else. Also have to factor in the his 1st 4 or 5 calls at the start of the season when they were making an example out of him.

We are probably looking at about 5 missed games for Sheed. On the bright side he will get some extra rest and Flip will be forced to play the bench.
  6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i don't think it will get reversed for that reason. sheed was practically begging for a tech that entire game (a lot of which you on TV couldn't see).
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

chipi, that's a great post. It all comes down to the integrity of the game. Setting aside Rasheed Wallace for now, there needs to be a certain level of consistency, and review.

We're not the only fanbase with referee issues.

USATODAY.com - Nader urges Stern to revi

Stern did not reply btw.
  8. raw36

raw36 First Round Draft Pick Forum Donor

Thanks for this post Mr. Roscoe.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I can't believe Sheed never figured out how to use the officials to his advantage. He has spent so much time on the court and he never learned how to manipulate the system? It's an artform and he is still using finger paint.

You can talk to these guys all game long. Butter them up a bit. Tell them when they made a good call. Then, when you complain, it will carry some weight. There are a lot of calls that they make where they realize they were wrong.

I totally understand why they have such a short fuse with him. He deserves it. He made his own bed so to speak.

The prevailing sentiment seems to be that Sheed does it on purpose to get himself pumped up. If that is the case, then there is no reason to feel sorry for him.

We should all be so lucky as to get days off of work for throwing temper tantrums.
  10. roscoe36

Some days, it feels like my job is to throw temper tantrums. I don't enjoy that aspect of it. It's not easy to manufacture emotion.
  11. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I'm a little late here, and probably everyone has seen this photo, but it's one of my favorites, so here it is. It was in 1991, when Rasheed was a sophomore at Simon Gratz HS in Philly. There's an article about the meeting here.

[​IMG]
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Anyone see Brain Candy? The side effect was that the user of the drug would get permanently frozen in their happiest memory.

That would be Sheed's moment right there.
  13. roscoe36

DETNEWS | Weblog | Pistons
  14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Wow!!! I have never seen this photo. Wilt has been and always will be my hero. Thanks.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We got the tech rescinded! He has some cushion now.
  16. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I can't see Sheed not getting at the very least 1 suspension, but at least he won't miss the Spurs game and has an extra "free" tech. Hope he uses it wisely.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You might be asking yourself...."Just how often does Sheed pick up a technical?"

The answer, of course, is found by looking at the often forgotten "Minutes Per Technical" statistic:

[​IMG]

Big numbers mean "well-behaved" Sheed and small numbers mean not so well-behaved. In 2003, for example, Sheed was playing 244 minutes between each technical. This was one technical every 6.7 games. In 2001, Sheed was playing 73.5 minutes between each technical, or one technical every 1.9 games.

This year, Sheed is picking up a technical every 100.5 minutes, which is a "T" every 3.0 games. Sheed hasn't picked up a "T" in a few games, so he is probably due for one against the Spurs tomorrow night to keep up his average.

If Sheed continues the remainder of the season at 1 "T" every 3 games, he will pick up another 10 technicals. That would result in 5 games missed due to suspensions.
  18. roscoe36

I'd like to think that Zero Tolerance has skewed this year's numbers.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This year, Sheed is pretty close to his career average.
  20. roscoe36

Right, but with Zero Tolerance, he might be well below his average.