Shock News?

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by Ozarkruffrider, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Pierson scores 25 to lead Shock past Liberty

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP)—Detroit coach Bill Laimbeer was worried that his Shock weren’t ready for the start of the season.
    One of his All-Stars—Swin Cash—had been traded to Seattle and two others — Cheryl Ford (knee) and Deanna Nolan (ankle)—started the year at less than 100 percent.
    Sunday, though, the Shock beat the New York Liberty 72-62 to improve to 4-1.
    “I told our staff that I was afraid we’d start 2-10 with the new players and the injuries,” Laimbeer said. “It feels very good to be 4-1.”
    Ford had microfracture surgery in September and only started practicing a week before the opener, while Nolan came to training camp after spraining her ankle in Russia. Both players have been in the lineup, but they are happy to be getting a lot of help from their teammates.

“Right now, everything hurts,” said Nolan, who scored 14 points two days after hyperextending her elbow in a win at Atlanta. “It’s huge that we are 4-1 with everything going on.”
    Laimbeer decided before the opener to keep bringing last year’s Sixth Woman of the Year, Plenette Pierson, off the bench despite the problems in the starting lineup. Sunday, Pierson had 25 points, and she leads the team with a 17.0 scoring average.
    “Right now, we’re trying to play hard and bide our time until Cheryl and Deanna get back,” she said. “
    Detroit improved to 3-0 at home despite only having one starter reach double figures. Kara Braxton added 11 off the bench.
    Lisa Willis led New York with 12 points, but starters Loree Moore, Erin Thorn and Janel McCarville combined for only two on 1-of-12 shooting.
    “They put me in to shoot the ball,” Willis said. “I’ve got to think shoot first and be aggressive.”
    New York missed 18 of its first 20 shots, and committed nine turnovers as the Shock built a 23-6 lead midway through the second quarter.
    The Liberty rallied to pull within 29-19 at the half, but another prolonged scoring drought to start the second half restored the Shock’s big lead. New York missed its first 10 shots of the period, allowing Detroit to go up 41-19.
    “We got off to such a slow start, and I’m not really sure why,” New York coach Pat Coyle said. “When you get down like that, you have to make threes to get back in it, and we didn’t.”
    The score was 54-29 at period’s end, with Detroit outshooting New York 63 percent to 17 percent in the quarter.
    The Liberty, though, started the fourth with a 23-4 run to pull within 58-52 with 5:17 left. Pierson, though, had a basket and an assist on the next two possessions, and the Shock held on to win.
    “We always make things hard on ourselves,” Pierson said. “I guess it gets us ready for the playoffs.”

2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I think the Fever will be their biggest opposition to getting to the finals this year.

Catchings and Douglas will be something to watch on both ends of the floor, and coach Dunn has impressed with her rotation scheme.It's been quite refreshing after watching [STRIKE]Flop[/STRIKE] Flip (Freudian slip) for so long.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I really like Plenette Pierson. :love: :love: :inlove:

4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice second half by the Shock today to come from behind and beat Indiana. It was very enjoyable to watch. I would love to see more of Lambs next season...

5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

You will, as the Shock coach of course...........

6. coynejeremy

Doh!:pound:

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What an amazing comeback by the Shock. Down by 7 with 32 seconds left, the Shock outscore Minnesota 11-4 to send the game in overtime. Deanna Nolan nailed two 3-pointers and was fouled shooting another 3-pointer with 4 seconds left. She went 3-for-3 at the line to send the game in OT. Nine points for her in a half minute.

I don't usually watch WNBA, but I'm glad I tuned into the end of this one. Let's see what happens in overtime now.

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Deanna Nolan with 44 points to lead the Shock to victory in OT. Anyone else see this the finish to this game? Amazing individual performance by Nolan.

9. coynejeremy

I'm sorry I missed it. The lady's game is fun to watch. They aren't televised as much as I'd like, and over here I only see the Shock if they are playing Indiana, or if they are nationally televised.

10. Ozarkruffrider

I bought the Fox sports package hoping to catch their games and they are all blacked out! I did see 'Horn in rare form getting T'd up against the Sun. lol

11. roscoe36

Did he get T'd up for trying to steal the ref's sandwich? ;)

12. hlbimage

hlbimage First Round Draft Pick

Candace Parker is the first Rookie to Dunk. First to score do everything else. And now you can add first Rookie to get suspended. Glad I watched for some great entertainment. My man Laimbeer doesn't disappoint.:pound:

13. Ozarkruffrider

Been awhile for these girls, but the playoffs started and Detroit has one in the bag. Sunday when the Lions play in SF, the girls are on ESPN2 at home.

14. roscoe36

Thanks for the update Ozzie.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

shock fall short blowing a game a they were supposed to win against Played from behind all game long taking a one point lead late in the 4th and then tying it with less 7 seconds in regulation on a Deana Nolan three.

Nothing left in tank in the OT though as they fall 89-82 after giving up what look like three uncontested three pointers in the last 2.5 minutes of the game to the Fever. Meanwhile their own three point attempts were coming short.

At one point near the end of regulation both teams were a combined 39-39 from the free throw line but the FT differential was 14 points in the end in favor of the Fever. The difference the game however was the three point shooting where the fever made about 5 more threes than the Shock. A lot of then were wide open and you would hope that Laimbeer addresses that in tomorrow's practice.

Plennette Pierson suffered a shoulder engery with about 4.5 mins left in the game and it all depends on how it heals before Tuesday to say if the favored Shock will make it to the next round or not.

Not a good day for Detroit teams as the Tigers and Lions will suffer a losses too.

It would be nice to have at least one more championship in Detroit this year besides the Wings.

16. Ozarkruffrider

Whole lot more competitive I'm sure. Forgot it was on.

17. LA Dre

The worst thing about the game was that both Plenette Pierson and the Fever player Ebony Hoffman were called for offsetting techs, but Pierson was on the bench the rest of the game with her shoulder in ice and Ebony Hoffman stayed in the game and hit 2 three pointers in OT which was the difference in the game.

Meanwhile, Pierson who led the team in assists and steals yesterday and was tied for team lead in both scoring and rebounds, will probably have to sit out tomorrow's rubber game while Hoffman plays.

So, unless the other players step up or Hoffman is suspended, the Shocks season could possibly come to a quick end....:yellowprison:

18. hlbimage

Finally some justice for Detroit and Bill Laimbeer. The incident where Plenette Pierson was swung over the back of Ebony Hoffman has been reviewed with good news. This year WNBA most improved player Ebony Hoffman was upgraded to a Flagrant Foul, Penalty Two, and has been fined. While our girl Plenette Pierson's technical foul issued has been rescinded.

WNBA.com: WNBA Announces Penalty From <br> Fever-Shock Playoff Game

19. LA Dre

Bitter sweet news to some, but Hoffman plays in game three and Pierson sits with the injured shoulder.

Good thing is the Shock are up 30-7 at the end of the first qtr....:p_welldone:

I bet not come home tonight and find that they blew that lead and the game.

20. hlbimage

Bill Laimbeer is going to have a cow if the Shock loses. Pierson is probably then going to tackle someone football style.