Shock on the verge of elimination

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by roscoe36, Sep 1, 2005.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Scary for the Shock. They seem unable to get their act together. I can't see bringing Laimbeer back again if they are knocked out in Game 2 of the first round.

That's the problem with hometown heroes becoming the coach (ala Trammel/Tigers). All you do is destroy your legacy. 98% of all coaches (my guess) get fired. Odds are, you will be chased off unless you are an even greater coach than you were a player.
  2. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

How the mighty have fallen!

It really is a shame to see Tram take a hit like this. At least Laim got the Shock back in the dance, albeit limping in.

But, they'll always be hero's in my book, whether they bomb out as coach's or not.

One thing though. Laim did win a 'ship. So, we have to respect that (of course some question whether it was more his asst. coach's then himself that guided the ship.) While poor Tram got dealt a raw hand from the get go in Tiger land. But, there's no excuses for some of his decision making this year, which at times left me pulling my hair out! :doh:
  3. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

Guess I was wrong...

I looked at the line up at the beginning of the year and said they were gonna hurt the competition. We started off great, then BOOM! They were never the best perimeter defenders to begin with and with Cash out the fast break slowed up. They should have ran it all through the 4 and 5 spot: Ford, Riley, Farris and Braxton? Come on! When Brax played her numbers were good, but it was play a game sit a game. And something really seemed to be wrong with Powell. I wonder if that "New York" job thing got in Lambs head?
  4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Tram & Tigers

Yeah, but they're still not a playoff team despite Trammell's screwups. They have to dump some dead weight on the pitching staff (Jason Johnson) and decide how good some others are (Maroth, Douglass). Robertson and Bonderman (although he's sucked lately) are keepers. Other than that, nobody is solid.
  5. Zoso

Evening gazoo...

Man, you're preaching to the choir re: the pitching staff.

One has to wonder though, where would this team be if we had a healthy Maggs & Guillen all year? Something tells me had that been the case then we would still have that solid bullpen (though I'm a huge Polanco fan now, great trade) and I'm willing to bet we'd be 10-12 games better in the standings. Probably not enough to get us in the playoffs, but a heck of alot better then where we are now.

Also, here's to hoping that Bondo just doesn't turn out to be a first half pitcher, as he certainly appears headed for.
  6. roscoe36

You guys want a Tigers Forum? Seriously, let me know. I was holding off on Lions/Tigers/RedWings because they aren't ball related, but it is doable.
  7. Zoso

Evening Micro

You know, even though this is a Pistons forum first and formost, I personally think including a Lions, Tigers and Wings section would be an outstanding idea. I'd be willing to bet that folks would vent their thoughts in there when they swing by to chat Pistons. I know I would.
  8. roscoe36

It shall be done. On my worklist. My long worklist... ;)
  9. roscoe36

10. ggazoo69

Shock

I watched a little of that. Hard to believe a team with that much talent - the Shock, I mean - could perform so poorly this season. I wonder if it's time for Laimbeer to step aside and give Mahorn the reigns. In Uncasville, CT, where Connecticut plays, they played the Darth Vader theme when Bill walked into the arena. Just great. :nod:
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Problem with the Shock is:

The heart that was there in 2003 disappeared when assitant coach Pam McGee and veteran Kedra Holland-Corn left. In addition Laimbeer does not appear to have any set plays. The good outside shooter they had was Tweety. Ruth Riley took to many outside shots from the top of the key and could never figure where to shoot from anywhere else. They were careless with the ball and only Tweety could shoot FT's.

They can only hope that Cash comes back next year healthy and can step up and be not only a vocal leader but a floor leader. Ford can control the boards, has to play like she cares and not lackadasical. Her rebounding and FT shooting remind you of Ben Wallace, but Ben is definitely into the game more so than Cheryl. May need a better point guard leading the break than Elaine Powell.
  12. ggazoo69

LA Dre

You nailed it right there. Swin Cash came back slowly from injury (a torn ACL, I think) and she was never the same. She didn't have the same lateral movement. She's the key. If she can back to her old form, that'll help. But can she?
  13. max

max All-Star

Shock Trouble

Not a huge fan but I do know that they were without their leading scorer Swin Cash for most of the season and she was far less than 100% when she did comeback.
  14. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

WNBA Coaches

I read an article about WNBA coaches which stated that the hiring practices were a big political farse. Coaching experience means nothing. Can Mahorn even coach? Who knows? I don't know how much longer this WNBA is going to last. The basketball just isnt as exciting to watch. I rather wait to watch the NCAA Women's tournament if I'm jonesing to see woman perform at an entertaing level.
  15. roscoe36

I enjoy watching WNBA games if no other ball is on. The quality level is pretty high and some of those ladies are deadly 3 point shooters.
  16. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

think so...

All the big woman seem to move like a mix between Bill Carthwright and George Muresan. lol. The post game is uninspired. There is no play above the rim. I don't know. But hey, they're still around so you obviously are not in the minority. I wish them luck all the same as its nice to know that these women have a vehicle to play ball in the States versus over seas if they have hoops in their blood.
  17. max

max All-Star

Mahorn

Mahorn was an assistant with the Hawks a few years ago. He received good reviews and was able to connect with the players.