Shopping for Bargains has come back to haunt us

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, May 25, 2006.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

In the beginning I truly believed that the Pistons bench would be awesome. I think Microwave was one of the ones who was truly pissed that Dumars had allowed all the good free agents to get away (signed with other teams).

By the time every other team finished shopping, we were left with all the others, Mo Evans, Dale Davis and Tony Delk who was let go.

We decided to gamble and get some players on the cheap in order to preserve money for Ben's signing?

I continue and will always believe that with a better bench we would have done much better with Cleveland. If the starters could not get it going then the starting unit would come in with the energy ala the Alternatorz.

Dumars will break up this core next season, I am pretty sure he is taking notes. Who will be the one to be released? That is the question for the next thread.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Believe me, this is one time when I wish I was wrong.

I think that Joe has been "playing it safe" since the Sheed trade and Dice signing.

He gets a pass because we love him for being the face of the franchise after Zeke retired, but just the same, he hasn't produced a draft pick that contributes since Tayshaun in 2002. Memo, Darko and Arroyo (via trade for this year's 1 st rounder) don't count. They are all gone with less than 3 full years on the books.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought the Pistons were shopping for big names (Finley, etc.). You can't force a guy to sign with your team. With the CBA rules, I thought the Pistons did fine in the off-season. They surely have a team good enough to win the NBA Championship.
  4. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Management got cheap on the fans.
  5. max

max All-Star

Dumars was trying to reserve some PT for Delfino and Darko. For whatever reason things did not work out for them with Flip.

Ask me again when its all over. If we win the title Dumars is not breaking anything up.
  6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

We can't throw huge money at free agents, and they know they won't get much playing time. Is Joe supposed to hold their families hostage until they sign? And only fans buy into that "Well, who wouldn't want to play for the Pistons" stuff.

The bench should have been developed more, absolutely. But I'm not going to blame management for running the team sanely.
  7. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Flip went stupid. Maxiell can obviously contribute (I know I know, Flip would hate it if we had a paint scorer). Delfino with a couple months of consistant playing time under his belt can be a big factor defending, slashing, and creating. Darko could have been a huge factor blocking shots and hitting jumpers (anyone who saw him in Orlando can attest to this. That horrible team became nearly unbeatable with him playing 25 mpg, so don't tell me it would have cost us tons of games).

I still think we need a quick backup PG in the vein of Devin Harris, Tony Parker, Barbosa, etc. Someone who can chance the tempo of the game. But if the guys we currently have were properly implimented during the season (instead of freaking out over getting HCA), our bench would be very good anyways. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. Dice and Lindsey are the only 2 guys on the bench that the starters will even pass to. Unfortunately for us, Lindsey loves to shoot (But sucks at it), so that only leaves Dice. But don't get it twisted that guys like Max, Delfino, etc can't play because flip doesn't play them. He just doesn't seem to know how to use them. Just look at Tayshaun's season. It took Flip months to realize he couldn't just have Tay camp at the three point line. He still hasn't gotten to that point with most of the guys on the bench.
  8. anakin

Running a team sanely can go hand in hand with good FA signings. The Palace is almost always sold out and the team is making $$. Nobody is talking about a mega $$ player. They can afford to pay a small luxury tax to improve the chances of winning the big one.
  9. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

You mean like signing Michael Finley? Or Jerome James? Or Damon Jones?

Who was the guaranteed stud that could make a difference for us? We've seen most of the usual suspects fall during different rounds of the playoffs, which would indicate they weren't quite the cure-all you're looking for.

The only candidate I can think of is Tim Thomas, who yours truly brought up some months ago. He's playing great for Phoenix, but the guy is such a head case I can't blame anyone on the Pistons for keeping their distance. He and Sheed together would scare anyone.

Really talented bench players, like a Devin Harris, were in fact high first-rounders. That goes back to the issue of developing your young talent, which is a perfectly valid one. But Mark Cuban spent a lot of money for a lot of years cramming his roster full of name players, and it wasn't until they got bargains like Howard and Daniels that they really started going places. Checkbook management shouldn't impress anybody.
  10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Absolutely it was slim pickin's last year when all you have is the MLE... gotta keep in mind that defense is also a prerequisite...
    Not that Mo is even decent in this area but he was the last man standing that was wouldn't hurt the team long term.
    Please name a couple FA's that was available for the MLE that could have helped.
  11. anakin

We got to agree to disagree on this one. I can't recall which FA's were available a the time or what trade possibilities were viable so I won't get into that discussion. I just don't see the addition of another bench player who could come in and spark the team as a bank breaking affair. The team is built to win now and another 10 points from the bench would certainly have helped. When I posted about the lack of bench usage in the regular season the majority of comments were only "vets" get playing time on a championship team and they can't afford the bench to learn on the job. Now when I say they should have gotten the vet the story is about cap management, for a team that is already frugal. Success always has a price.
  12. BillLaimbeer

Amen. If you're going to complain about Pistons management NOT doing anything last summer, then please give at least one example of a free agent Joe D should have signed that you think would have made a difference.
  13. armygirl

Here are the 2005 Free Agents that could have helped us in the playoffs:

1. Ronald Murray
    2. Troy Bell
    3. Steve Blake
    4. Chris Duhon
    5. Antonion Daniels ******** (favorite)
    6. Marko Jaric
    7. Earl Watson********** (favorite)
    8. Brevin Knight
    9. Ty Lue
    10. Damon Stodamire?
    11. Keyon Dooling

This is only a short list of available free agents that I had on my list.
  14. armygirl

Antonio Daniels and Earl Watson were two players who play Joe D type of defense and would have worked well in our system.

Daniels can lock you down defensively on any given night he also has a decent offensive game.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. LETS GET ER DONE PISTONS, birng home the gold.
  15. BillLaimbeer

I like Lindsey Hunter for a few brief minutes of defense now and then, but I agree that backup PG will be an area that Joe D will need to address this summer.
  16. anakin

Why not have kept Mike James or Okur and go over the cap a couple of mill? The MLE was spent on Davis and Evans who might as well not be on the roster for all the minutes they are getting. Does Memo - Davis -Evans + $3M sound horrible? It's all water under the bridge and I am not trying to play Monday morning QB. I am disputing the fact that there was no possible way to improve the team at incremental cost.
  17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Those are both quality players that could help the team...
    I believe Daniels (kgregs boy) took the whole MLE....
    Nobody knows that these guys would have picked the Pistons... PT has to be a major factor in their decision... they looked at the Pistons with C.B. and Arroyo and prolly decided to go in another direction.
    At the time everyone was saying we needed Shaq insurance (EC leaving)...so we lost most of the resources on D.D. ... waste of cap???
  18. BillLaimbeer

It's been discussed hundreds of times. The Pistons could not have signed James or Okur. James wanted a multi-year deal for more money than the Pistons could spend. The Pistons had cap room for either Sheed or Okur. They chose Sheed.
  19. anakin

I am saying go over the cap if it helps the team. What the Pistons could spend and what they want to spend are two different topics. The Pistons payroll is around 14th-15th in the league. Anyway we hold two opinions which strongly differ on this topic. Time to move on.:deadhorse
  20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Laim's exactly right... there was no chance of signing Sheed and James or Memo... we held no bird rights on these guys... it would have been a different story if they had ever been on a 3 year contract with a team (automatic bird rights)...
    Even with the new CBA rules we couldn't have kept Memo (well under the cap that year...no MLE)...
    It's best to put the Memo & James thing to bed.