Should AI be on a short leash for his defense

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Dec 24, 2008.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Let me start off by saying I'm loving everything that AI is bringing to this team. Dude draws mad fouls, gets in the paint constantly, draws defenders, pushes the ball, and gets plenty of steals by shooting the passing lanes.

I'm hating what he doesn't bring, a commitment to the defensive end of the floor. He really tries, in no way does he dog it, but by no means whatsoever does he commit to the teams defensive scheme, often times the team has to cover for him...that's cool, but HE won't rotate on the tail end of the play when HE was the one who got beat in the first place. I blame him for the Atl loss, because he just flat out lost Bibby all game long...his defensive Hoop IQ must hover somewhere around ZERO.

Should Allen get the hook (like AA did, and AJ has) when he consistently blows assignments or is getting murdered on the defensive end, especially when the backup SG is a 1st team all NBA defender in the making.

2. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

He should be waived.

3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

It seemed to me that Bibby was losing Stuckey just as much as he was losing Iverson in that Atl game.

4. max

max All-Star

Could we be better off without AI? I am not sure that I believe this myself but no AI on the floor opens things up for Rip and Stucky and nobody has to play out of position on the starting line. Starters have been getting off to big leads though.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Should really try a zone with him, just to have another option.

Maybe we have and I just haven't noticed?

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It looked like we played some zone against the Bulls. There was at least one defensive look I hadn't seen before.

7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

A zone does play to BubbaChuck's strengths a bit more (or covers up his weaknesses). It allows him to play the passing lanes more and affords him better help when he takes risks.

I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit of zone-D mixed in there.

8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I remind everyone that we were playing the Bulls and they are terrible.

We look just as good with Rip sitting on the bench and AI playing the 2 guard spot. You can argue that RIP and AI are interchangable. However, I would give AI a major edge at this point because he is the superstar and can get to the foul line, lead a fast break, create his own shot, but most importantly is not a hot head and doesn't lose control when he doesn't get a call his way.

9. max

max All-Star

Yes it is just one game. Seems like we are out of balance. Have duplication in certain areas and defects in others.

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I didn't see most of it, but Curry specifically said AI was ball-watching and blamed him for a good majority of Bibby's 3'd and AI agreed. But i agree Stuck's not exactly LH. The thing is though, Stuckey has all the tools to be good defender and when he plays with discipline is, he is. But like all young players seems to need everyone around him to be focused on it to excel as well.

11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I dont want to start a debate on which player is better, or, would we be better off without certain players, that's not my intention. It just seems as if AI is not being held accountable for his defensive lapses. I've come to face the reality that with AI we will never be a great defensive team,but he does do enough things well that we can be a better one than we are now, but only if the weakest link (AI) is held accountable. Now ay should he have played that many mins against Atl the way he was "ball watching".

12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I understand what you are feeling. Personally I think the 4th quarter that Curry held Iverson out was a step in the right direction. Only time will tell if he was serious or if he was just pump faking at the free throw line like Christian Laettner