Should Bill Laimbeer be in the HOF? As a player, a coach or both?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Mar 5, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Discuss.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He should get in as a coach. Then when he goes to visit, he can move his exhibit over to the players section.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

:pound::pound::pound:

If he gets a repeat title this summer, he'll probably be a lock as a coach. He has the best all-time record in the brief 13 year history of the WNBA.

He did a pretty good job, especially last year after Ford went down with a season-ending injury in that lady-brawl. After losing their top rebounder and one of the best players in the team, he signed a veteran big and Detroit won the title.

If he had never coached WNBA, he probably would've made it eventually as a player. I mean, a guy who inspires this deserves to be in the HOF.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I know you are kind of joking... but that seriously convinces me of his worthiness. If his style of play was that revolutionary and he came away with multiple titles, then he should be in.

The Bad Boys are a household name 20 years later and he was the main reason why they earned that name.
  5. Walter

I'm just saying it in a humorous way, yes. I think he does deserve to be in there as a player.

I also hope Mahorn makes it in there as well.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Definitely as a coach....as player ummm?? other than the 2 bad boy titles and top 3 in Pistons history with rebounds and blocks, where does he rank in league stats...besides scowls and cheap shots???:gun1::sssh:
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Boy, this is a toughie. I am only going on his playing days & Shooting Stars contributions. I'm not certain what the qualifications are for a professional women's coach.

He is right there as a winner. His 2 titles could easily be 3. He was revolutionary for his day with his 3 pt shooting and was a top rebounder. Without knowing the entire roster of the Hall of Fame I am sure there are players of his ilk in there already, but those are probably old timers.

I am going to say no only because people from his era like DJ and Bernard King are not in there, but he definitely deserves it over some of the players I currently hear mentioned as future Hall of Famers.
  8. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

His entire body of work should place him in the HOF.

I would place him there as a player.

He has a WINNING record in the playoffs against...
    Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Michael Jordan...:beer:

One of only 19 players to get 10,000 points and 10,000 boards.

He could score, rebound, pass, and shoot free throws at a high level.

He had a 685 games played streak...5th longest in history.

I would go as far as to say that he was a co-founder of what is considered "DEEEEEEEETROIT BAAAAAAAAASKETBALL"

[​IMG] Remember...A winning record against this guy and his HOF front court.

[​IMG] You tell em Bill..
  9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Unfortunately the current roster adopted photo two without photo one.
  10. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I do agree. Laimbeer should be in the HOF as a player. Not only was he arguably the face of one of the greatest teams in NBA history, he piled up some pretty impressive numbers too...
    • 2 time NBA champion
    • 4 time NBA All Star
    • One of only 19 players to amass 10,000 points and 10,000 rebounds
    • Longest consecutive games streak (685) in league history.
    • From 1983-1993, ranked second in the NBA in total rebounds (9034)
    • For players 6'11" and taller, Laimbeer was 3rd in 3 pointers made from 1983-1993... a rare skill for big men in his day.
    • Played in 1,068 games in his career, ranking second in that time period.
    You could make an even better case that Dennis Rodman deserves to be in the HOF... 5 championships, multiple DPOY, best rebounder of all time (% of rebounds). I hope that both are enshrined someday.
  11. max

max All-Star

Yes as a player but not right off. Definetly as a WNBA coach. The 2 should be a lock for him.
  12. LA Dre

Agree that both shoud be in based on the above numbers.. On another subject matter, remember the when the NBA media announced the 50 greatest in 1997, and Shaq was already annointed and in without even winning ring yet and Worthy and Pippen were in just because they had multiple rings.....
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No and no.

He was a top rebounder, his biggest claim to fame. But Cowens just before him, and Rodman after him, put him to shame on the rebounding numbers.

On offense,Laim was basically a jump shooting big, with little in the way of a post game.

Just nothing in his stats that says hall of fame.

As for getting there as a coach, let him get a gig in the NBA, and earn that.
  14. Walter

Nothing against you personally Lee, but this widespread belittling of people's accomplishments in the WNBA by those who are supposedly fans of the game continues to puzzle me. It is not "NBA Hall of Fame" it is "Basketball Hall of Fame". WNBA is a basketball league and Laimbeer is a very successful coach in that league.

You may not enjoy watching WNBA, or not even respect it or the people involved. However, it cannot be denied that having that league does help the sport. As a result of having the WNBA, millions more people are interested in the sport. Millions of girls around the world are trying their luck in basketball. Does it add more to the sport than the NBA? Of course not. Does it add more to the sport even half as much as the NBA? No. But, the fact remains that it does extend the reach of the sport.

My point is, WNBA is good for basketball. Therefore, it makes sense for major accomplishments in that league be recognized in the HOF. Laimbeer is undisputably one of the most successful coaches in that league and therefore deserves to be recognized there one day for that accomplishment alone. This does not mean that he is a better coach than Greg Popovich or is on the same level as Larry Brown or Phil Jackson. But, he's not doing the same job as those guys.
  15. LA Dre

Right on Walt!! If UCONN womens coach Geno Auriemma is in, then Laims should be in too...

List of members of the Basketball Hall of Fame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't think Lee has a problem with Women's basketball. He just doesn't like Women's basketball coaches.
  17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Yep. If it was the "NBA Hall of Fame" than Bill Walton wouldn't be in there... he simply didn't play often enough due to the injuries. But he got in for what he did at UCLA.
  18. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I rarely completely disagree with a post but I cannot agree with Lee's position.
  19. linwood

linwood All-Star

The WNBA is real basketball, and it's fiercely competitive. Most of those girls bring it every single night, and they make pennies on the hundreds of dollars that the men make.

I really think they should give the ladies a 9 foot rim so they could dunk, but I totally understand that that would destroy the finely tuned shooting games of most of their guards.

Where is Cloud to defend the WNBA? :confused:
  20. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Great post Walter. Very good points. :)