Should C-Bill Be Traded For A Lottery Pick?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Dec 31, 2006.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

On a sign and swap like the Pistons did with Mr. Softy for Big Ben

I think Joe. D. should try and do some kind of deal for him, preferably for either a young upcoming point guard and a draft pick or for a lottery pick on draft day. The deal could be done in the week before the draft once the order of the picks are known.

It is time to start rebuilding the team. Too many regulars over 30. The only two starters worth keeping at this point are Prince and RIP.

Happy New Year everyone.

:hoops:
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

What would he do with the lotto pick?
  3. buddahfan

Take it over 30 years instead of in one lump sum to reduce the luxury tax effect!!! LOL

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Won't CB be a free agent? Why would a team give up something for nothing?
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Any team at the cap (rough guess, 75% of the league) won't be able to offer him more than the Mid-Level.

But Detroit can re-sign him as their own, and then trade him (S&T) for return value. It's a way for a capped out team to get CB and Detroit tries not to leave itself empty handed.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I think very well conditioned players with top of the line skills will play very well, well into their thirties.
  7. buddahfan

Thanks for putting the Legal mumbo jumbo and what I wrote. It clarifies it for everyone.

A sign and trade for a lottery pick and or a good young point guard who can shoot.

Against the Knicks he missed a free throw that he should have made and it cost us the game. Against Indiana he comes up lame and it costs us the game. And it is only going to get worse as he will be 31 before next season starts. Point guard is a probably the most physically demanding position, other than the trainer (LOL) on the team and we can't afford to have a guy that is starting to break down running the point.

8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

if our GM wasn't Joe Dumars, I'd love to see a trade CB to any lottery team.
    It would be just the perfect time to combine some youth with the vets!
  9. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

IF he's asking for the max I say move him. If he'll take a 4 year deal worth about 40 million, then I'd probably keep him.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Saying your going to do a Sign and Trade versus actually making it happen are two different things. It's not easy to pull off.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Agreed 100%. In all S&Ts, it has to be a combination of the other team wanting the player bad enough to part with some assets, and the player's desire to play for that team.

So CB would have to want to go somewhere else and they would have to be willing to give up some stuff the Pistons would like, be it draft picks, expiring contracts, or maybe a young player at a depth position.
  12. buddahfan

That is why da man gets paid da big BUCKS!!

13. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Still can't rule out the scenario of Billiups going to Denver. If the AI/ Melo experiment does not work they may look to move AI with CB on the market. A sign and trade could be in play where the Pistons land AI. It is a long shot but still possible.
  14. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

``Against the Knicks he missed a free throw that he should have made and it cost us the game.''

Come on, now! There are several legit complaints about his game, FT shooting can't be one of them. He's one of the best, if not the best, clutch FT shooter in the game. Go look at the percentages. He had 3 games in the Miami series in which he was perfect from the line, including on 11-11 in which some of those FTs salted away Game 5. 35-39 overall in the ECF.
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Are you kidding. What do you want a 100% free throw shooter. Chauncey is one of the top if not the top free throw shooter in the NBA from the 1st quarter to the 4th quarter.

The only thing that I really don't like about Chauncey is some of his defense. After seeing how well he has played on defense when he was rested by Will Blalock, and Flip Murray I'm starting to think that it's fatigue that makes him play poorly sometimes.

If Chauncey is going to leave by a Joe D. trade than the Pistons will have to play great basketball these next 2 weeks. Getting torched by the MVP after Chauncey has done very well against him the past few seasons isn't a way to show this. CB should stay.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd pay him the max and then add some more to it under the table. He's solid as granite and he's just reached full maturity. You are crazy if you think we'd be as good with anyone else besides AI or Nash.
  17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I wouldn't pay him max. I'd give him a contract for 4 years for 40-44 million. If he helps us win a championship up to 52 million for 4 years.
  18. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Indeed, I hadn't really thought about that possibility. With a sign and trade their contracts would be much closer and not so nearly as hard to pull off.
  19. linwood

linwood All-Star

I agree with this. And, I don't think either Nash or AI are on their way to Detroit.
  20. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Trade him right now for Carlos Arroyo. He knows the system and can be plugged right in. Let Orlando worry about re-signing CB and with CA, the Pistons would not miss a beat.

I know, I know, that's a stupid post!!